Never buying Costa sunglasses again

rodneyshishido

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, a number of companies have modified their warranties because of abuse. Case in point was LL Bean. People would buy stuff at garage sales and get them replaced under their warranty. Too many taking advantage of situation. Even amazon closed accounts if you have too many returns.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Didn’t Costa change hands fairly recently? Got bought out by some big group?
Here’s a link with something on that.

I love my 580g Rx lenses, the frames I believe are Monel and have well resisted corrosion in heavy saltwater use. The removeable polymer ear pieces have mostly disintegrated, but my glasses are coming up on 10 years old. My fishing shirts have all disintegrated over the same time period. I think I too am slowly disintegrating!

Wonder what mechanism caused your lenses to shatter? The frame perhaps contracting in extra cold temperatures like so many materials do and then exerting enough pressure on the lenses to cause the breakage?
My Costas were unworn/unused, and the frames are literally in mint condition, and so was the case. It's mind boggling how this could have happened. What you suggest is the only thing I could think of, that there was some defect that compromised them and the cold weather and changing temps was the nail in the coffin.

bonefish41

Reaction score
Next time for Polars look to Seirra Trading Post for Costa 580 Glass ...100-125...these are made in USA not Chinese always check the specs on their site they will tell where made...most of the old 400 glass are chinese and even some Smith's are Chinese

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm into my 7th year with a pair of Oakley Prizm Fresh Water lens glasses. They have survived here so far so I give them a thumbs up. Think I paid $100 for them. I've had good use from affordable polarizers too but can't recall brands. Been using Oakley for nearly 20 years now.

hubby11

Reaction score
I picked up a pair of Hobies with Sightmaster (yellow) lenses. They have been pretty good in low light. I put them on once and one of the frame hinges broke. A little dance with the online/email warranty procedure - pics and receipt - and with a $15 "processing fee," a new pair were on the way. And I got to keep the old glasses. The receipt was not really necessary since it is just to determine whether you purchased them within 12 months to waive the processing fee.

Not too bad.

proheli

Reaction score
My guess is there was a flaw in the grooves that the lenses fit into. There was no room for expansion, so now, cold hot cold hot, and Crack. Ive got an expensive pair of Costas, they’ve had a couple of flaws in which Costa replaced the lenses, and even managed to screw that up. I’m sure all makers have their bad production days. it’s definitely a bummer. It seems like Maui Jim is at the top of their game now and I’m not sure about Oakley and they are in Commyfonia. They‘ve had a lot of issues with production and I wouldn’t get lenses from them unless I had a hard delivery date.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Since I wear Rx glass, I've not found a resource for laminated glass polarized lens planos I can have my ophthalmologist order in frames of my choice. Actually, it is even getting harder and harder to get labs who will do ground glass, molded CR39 plastic or polycarbonate (not an optical material by my lights) is all they want to do in this era of anti-craftsmanship. This leaves me little choice but to go with Smith and Costa for their specialized angling tints in quality glass. I will strive to fine a person at Luxottica in the know.

bonefish41

Reaction score

bonefish41

Reaction score
Since I wear Rx glass, I've not found a resource for laminated glass polarized lens planos I can have my ophthalmologist order in frames of my choice. Actually, it is even getting harder and harder to get labs who will do ground glass, molded CR39 plastic or polycarbonate (not an optical material by my lights) is all they want to do in this era of anti-craftsmanship. This leaves me little choice but to go with Smith and Costa for their specialized angling tints in quality glass. I will strive to fine a person at Luxottica in the know.
RX Smith is gone from glass script...no longer...Maui and Costa and bendover for prostate exam...however, Maui is the last man/independent standing

Lamarsh

Reaction score
My guess is there was a flaw in the grooves that the lenses fit into. There was no room for expansion, so now, cold hot cold hot, and Crack. Ive got an expensive pair of Costas, they’ve had a couple of flaws in which Costa replaced the lenses, and even managed to screw that up. I’m sure all makers have their bad production days. it’s definitely a bummer. It seems like Maui Jim is at the top of their game now and I’m not sure about Oakley and they are in Commyfonia. They‘ve had a lot of issues with production and I wouldn’t get lenses from them unless I had a hard delivery date.
Could be. Unfortunately, I would have never been able to notice until they shattered.

It's a big family ItalianFrench called...essilorluxottica
Yup, they basically own most everything glasses these days. Big corporate, not so friendly to the little guy. Thing is, when I compare a handful of high end brands, whether it's a fly rod or glasses, I take how they handle things like this into consideration.

myt1

Reaction score
I have used Maui Jim prescription sunglasses for years and have been very happy with their customer service because I have not needed it.
A friend of mine is an optometrist.

He says Maui Jim makes the best lenses.

He also says Ray Ban are kinda middle of the road.

I’m not sure of his opinion of Costa.

markmark444

Reaction score
I just got a pair of prescription progressive sunglasses from Costco with all the bells and whistles and they change with light conditions. Got to select my own frame and great price. The person who helped me was a fly fisher and had the same pair and options. Might work for someone else too.

flyfishsick

Reaction score
I have 3 pair of Costa, 2 with the cheaters or bifocals and regular pair and never had a problem? i really like the built-in cheaters makes tying so much easier!

VaFisherman

Reaction score
Ok, two years ago I removed my 15 year old Smith sunglass with one hand and the frame broke dropping the lense in the water. I was able to recover the lens. Smith at that time said they had a lifetime warranty so I called and told them I did not want a free set of glasses because I had gotten what I felt was more than useful wear out of them but if they would sell me a replace at factory cost I would be happy. They requested I send them back and when they received them I got an email that they would give me full retail credit for any new pair of glasses they had, since the model I had was discontinued.

Smith replaced them because in there opinion they should not have broken. Smith is the only sunglasses I will ever purchase.

falconer57

Reaction score
Bought my first Costas back in the 1980's. Back then, they would replace the lenses for $30. Not so much now. Just recently, my guy at the local fly shop told me that Costa is getting out of the "Fisherman type glasses". Just fashion stuff I guess. He said that all the sport glasses would be coming up cheap soon as the models would be discontinued.

desmobob

Reaction score
A buddy gave me a pair of prescription Maui Jims he didn't like. For $75, Maui Jim replaced the lenses, so I have a pair of Maui Jims at a cost of about eighty bucks. :) I still prefer my Smith Chroma-pop glasses even though they were replaced once under warranty because the coating peeled.

Anyway, I have had very good dealings with both brand's customer service departments.

VTWolverine

Reaction score
Bought my first Costas back in the 1980's. Back then, they would replace the lenses for $30. Not so much now. Just recently, my guy at the local fly shop told me that Costa is getting out of the "Fisherman type glasses". Just fashion stuff I guess. He said that all the sport glasses would be coming up cheap soon as the models would be discontinued.
Can't say I understand that decision at all, though I don't know the market. Costa strikes me as a function over fashion brand - good optics, basic frames. The pairs I've owned performed well but were uncomfortable, ugly, and cheap-feeling. Their styling is way behind other hybrid lifestyle/performance brands (Smith, Maui Jim) in my opinion.

bloomagoo

Reaction score
I have my own horror story that remains unresolved. Last month I ordered a pair of prescription Costas online for which I paid over $600. The process was easy and I received my new glasses in short order. Unfortunately the frames were warped and they don't sit correctly on my face. I confirmed this by taking them to Target Optical which has an arrangement with Costa to do fittings. Target stated that the glasses should never have passed quality control. I have now reached out to Costa and spoken with a rep on three occasions over the past 4 weeks. Each time I've been told that there would be a confirmation of replacement order arriving within "2-3 days". So far it's been crickets after each phone call. This has been one of the most disheartening and aggravating customer experiences of my life. I cannot in good faith recommend this company to anyone and I certainly will never be purchasing from them again.

jayr

Reaction score
I have my own horror story that remains unresolved. Last month I ordered a pair of prescription Costas online for which I paid over $600. The process was easy and I received my new glasses in short order. Unfortunately the frames were warped and they don't sit correctly on my face. I confirmed this by taking them to Target Optical which has an arrangement with Costa to do fittings. Target stated that the glasses should never have passed quality control. I have now reached out to Costa and spoken with a rep on three occasions over the past 4 weeks. Each time I've been told that there would be a confirmation of replacement order arriving within "2-3 days". So far it's been crickets after each phone call. This has been one of the most disheartening and aggravating customer experiences of my life. I cannot in good faith recommend this company to anyone and I certainly will never be purchasing from them again.

Did you use a credit card for the original purchase? If so, call your cc company and dispute the charge. Trust me, they will get it resolved once you do that.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Although this is a different situation, it just lends to their crappy customer service. They price themselves very high, so you'd think you'd get top notch customer service, but it just isn't there.

As an update to my situation, Costa never did a thing, they essentially blamed it on me, which I guess I understand to some degree due to how weird it was, but the fact that they didn't look at the purchase date, and fact that the frames and case were completely undamaged, and give me the benefit of the doubt, was a huge disappointment. The good news is, Backcountry.com replaced them for me free of cost and I now have a brand new pair. They are presumably dealing with the warranty claim on their own. THAT is good customer service, which will keep me coming back to them, I just won't ever buy Costas again.