Never buying Costa sunglasses again

ikankecil

Reaction score
Since I wear Rx glass, I've not found a resource for laminated glass polarized lens planos I can have my ophthalmologist order in frames of my choice. Actually, it is even getting harder and harder to get labs who will do ground glass, molded CR39 plastic or polycarbonate (not an optical material by my lights) is all they want to do in this era of anti-craftsmanship. This leaves me little choice but to go with Smith and Costa for their specialized angling tints in quality glass. I will strive to fine a person at Luxottica in the know.
Maui Jim will do Rx/glass/PL/progressive lenses but my last pair were over $1300 and their lens coatings are unbelievably fragile, even for someone accustomed to dealing with uppity optics for a living. Hoya is another option for PL/Rx/progressive lenses but their zone tech is old. I've since returned to Smith, who has the single best warranty and Rx department I've ever dealt with, just no glass/progressive/PL/Rx 😔

silver creek

Reaction score
I've had great results from Maui Jim. I had a pair of sunglasses that had pits in one lens from being hit by sand. The other lens was unaffected. Maui Jim replace the defective lens.

mike126

Reaction score
Although this is a different situation, it just lends to their crappy customer service. They price themselves very high, so you'd think you'd get top notch customer service, but it just isn't there.

As an update to my situation, Costa never did a thing, they essentially blamed it on me, which I guess I understand to some degree due to how weird it was, but the fact that they didn't look at the purchase date, and fact that the frames and case were completely undamaged, and give me the benefit of the doubt, was a huge disappointment. The good news is, Backcountry.com replaced them for me free of cost and I now have a brand new pair. They are presumably dealing with the warranty claim on their own. THAT is good customer service, which will keep me coming back to them, I just won't ever buy Costas again.
Kudos to Backcountry for helping you out. Just don’t leave them in the car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

possiebugger

Reaction score
I've had two pairs of the high end glass Costas and at least one pair of high end glass Smiths, and while I haven't dealt with customer service with any of them, I have had the same problem with both:

They just don't stay on my dang face! Anybody else encounter this?

Between the glass seeming heavier, and/or maybe the fit on the nose never seeming right, they're constantly sliding down my nose so I constantly have to reach up and put them back over my eyes. I talked to a Costa rep, who suggested the issue was the size of the frame, and offered me a deal on a new pair with a smaller frame (Joses, when I previously had Tuna Alleys). The smaller frames made no real difference as far as staying on my face.

The rep also suggested it could be cuz of sweat or sunscreen on my nose. Well rep, I dunno where you're wearing yours, but guess what kind of conditions would prompt me to wear sunglasses in the first place?

Either way, I've never really otherwise had this problem going the ZZ Top route: cheap sunglasses.

Just find some polarized plastic and go with it. No need to spend hundreds of dollars on something that won't even stay on my face.

silver creek

Reaction score
I've had two pairs of the high end glass Costas and at least one pair of high end glass Smiths, and while I haven't dealt with customer service with any of them, I have had the same problem with both:

They just don't stay on my dang face! Anybody else encounter this?

Between the glass seeming heavier, and/or maybe the fit on the nose never seeming right, they're constantly sliding down my nose so I constantly have to reach up and put them back over my eyes. I talked to a Costa rep, who suggested the issue was the size of the frame, and offered me a deal on a new pair with a smaller frame (Joses, when I previously had Tuna Alleys). The smaller frames made no real difference as far as staying on my face.

The rep also suggested it could be cuz of sweat or sunscreen on my nose. Well rep, I dunno where you're wearing yours, but guess what kind of conditions would prompt me to wear sunglasses in the first place?

Either way, I've never really otherwise had this problem going the ZZ Top route: cheap sunglasses.

Just find some polarized plastic and go with it. No need to spend hundreds of dollars on something that won't even stay on my face.
Have you tried putting Croakies on the ends of the ear pieces and then tightening up the Croakies? Slide the tension ring up the croakies toward the earpieces.

The cloth of the croakies on the ear pieces also provides more friction that the hard plastic they cover and will also help to keep your glasses in place.

One final piece of advice is to take your sunglasses to your optometrist technitian and they can heat and bend the ear pieces so your sunglasses have a better fit to your face. My optometrist does that for free.

Last edited: