New Carry on size restrictions on American Airlines

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I have been considering a carry on rod case from Fishpond or Orvis, but this makes me wonder whether it would be worthwhile. If this works for American, I suspect other airlines will find it attractive as yet another way to separate passengers from their money. I don't have a problem with sensible and consistent size restrictions for carry ons, but if it is anything other than a cynical money grab, the bag sizer should be at check in, not boarding.

dynaflow

Reaction score
Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia
This had to happen,just as it has in the rest of the world.People got fed up with the flagrant abuse of the "carry-on" allowance as the size of the bags that passengers tried to jam in overhead lockers meant that the lockers quickly became full and left no room for others bags....and the bag sizer should be at check-in as Curmudgeon says.

thom

Reaction score
The entire concept of carry on bags is of slight concern to me. In the unlikely event there is a situation calling for emergency evacuation of the cabin it is easy to imagine passengers disregarding the instructions to leave the carry on behind as they slowly make for those window exits. Slow will not be your friend.

Tudor Davies

Reaction score
I remember on a trip from Indianapolis to Toronto a guy sweating and grunting to get a way oversized bag into the overhead locker. It took ages. At Toronto airport he was again struggling to get it out, we, the rest of the passengers squeezed past him (this was made easier as his sweat was a good lubricant) and left him to it. I heard a flight attendant remark to a colleague if he breaks that door he's in big trouble. I thought enforce the carry on size limit!

hatidua

Reaction score
I'm so glad that I filled all of those passports full of stamps in the 70s/80s/90s/00s. I'd now rather drive 500 miles than take a 20 minute commercial plane flight.

bonefish41

Reaction score
It's a matter of what you are trying to carry on...an undergrad or grad wilderness trip bag no or mom's packed your peace corps honduras bag no...however, have always allowed 30" 4 piece whilst its length never fits in their box... its overall dimension is less than the allowed rectangle bag exemplar and carrying on my Orvis/Fishpond 30" case which holds 3-4 rods plus most of my tropical clothes...when asked yes it's my violin case but I have my special flyrods which are like my Strad to me when I'm on holliday..:) my other bag is an Abel either Tackle Bag or smaller Trout...it fits under all cheap seats... allreels extrx clothes...tackle...if i was wading. not now ageist... i would wear them have flops or walking packed

thom

Reaction score
Fly rods of six or seven section fitted into a day pack will easily go under an airline seat. Of course a personal level of comfort in multi section rods is required to fish such equipment. My four section rods fit diagonal in a large North Face bag and go checked.

I have a theory that airlines with happy crews are more reliable at a number of things including getting bags to destination.

darkshadow

Reaction score
Just flew on a flight from SoCal to Bozeman on Avelo and they allowed me to bring a small back pack and my 2 rod tubes as free carry ons.

"Officially," they had the 'size restriction' for my carry ons, but they suggested I carry them on and had no problems with it.

Sucks that other airlines have restrictions on fly rod tubes.

proheli

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I flew AA last summer and they had restrictions for carry ons, but I had heard they still let guys bring their rod carriers on, so I called them and they told me it would be fine. 30" x 4 x 6, something like that. I was ready to pay but they let me do it anyway, no charge. As always a little charm and a smile goes a long ways. Pick the check in girl that seems to be having the best day too.

bonefish41

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I flew AA last summer and they had restrictions for carry ons, but I had heard they still let guys bring their rod carriers on, so I called them and they told me it would be fine. 30" x 4 x 6, something like that. I was ready to pay but they let me do it anyway, no charge. As always a little charm and a smile goes a long ways. Pick the check in girl that seems to be having the best day too.
Yes it goes a long ways...I fly AA to Key West... Be nice...just an old man goin fishing...yes those are flies in my hat...Key West...don't look like or have two carryons that must go in the overhead...either of my two soft Abel Tackle bags fit under the seat...my trips are usually 5 days, two or three days fishing cannot chance being without the rods and if I should have a mean gate agent...got to check your case sir...it's a gate check just about 100% sure the case is going on the plane so I'll pay...another story actually two both involved conventional two piece blue water rods on my trips to East Cape Baja through Cabo...first Southwest Indpls Denver Cabo two years past, got left in Denver then flown to Portland back down to Cabo 24 hours later SWA did deliver to my hotel East Cape; second last year American IndplsPhoenixCabo got left Indpls TSA inspection delay(perhaps they thought they were Bangalore torpedoes and they jammed the rods back into the case bending two guides and dislodging one roller guide) but then American put them on the same flight next day rather than same day flight through Dallas so it was 72 hour delay after I "discussed" the matter, "Southwest did it in 24 hours," with AA customer service namely erroneous flight and being parked in Cabo for an extra 24 hours before delivery to my East Cape hotel at 7am...what really pssed was waiting at the oversized chute in Cabo seeing all the full sized golf bags and surf boards and boogie/body boards coming off...to be fair, however, in 15 to 20 trips to Cabo with rods only two times ...but it's enough for me... never check my fly rods