New Carry on size restrictions on American Airlines

el jefe

Reaction score
To you guys who travel by air to fish, why don't you ship your stuff to and from the destination? Golfers do it all the time, and it works. With shipping services, you can also purchase insurance for the value of your stuff, should something happen to it. It's also a lot easier to go through airports without lugging all of that awkwardly shaped and sized gear. FedEx can deliver to anywhere in the world on any schedule you want.

bonefish41

Reaction score
Let me add...for a carry on bag it is supposed to fit in their box obviously most of the rigid rollers that you see being carried on don';t fit the spec box; however, they do fit in the overhead...it is technically oversized for the overhead but it's not considered oversized checked bags such as surf board or full set of golf clubs...but they have been allowed ...now I have never seen last five years(about 30 fishing flights) gate personnel trying to force a roller(that will fit in the overhead) into the box BUT I have seen if you are last to get on board full/nearly full flight and gate says there's no more room in the overheads and gate check no charge. If that situation occurs, now, under American's policy and they measure the fat roller you're f...ed. It's the cheap seat no frills no checked bags last to board airlines that can be a problem particularly if the flight contains feral adults with their feral kids and they try to carry on their world...solution fly Southwest two bags always fly free irrespective of class and check in for your flight 23 hours 59 minutes before your flight...you won't be last group to board...have to crunch the numbers...I've got KW second week july going down American coming back Delta(a first in 15 years) all cheap seats all carryon...AA is Indy... Philadelphia ...KW nonstop. Mid August back to East Cape Cabo for once Southwest was under American gross price by 100(479 RT) and two bag fly free ...my blue water rods and my blue water gear/clothes bag

el jefe

Reaction score
A few more bucks for the Early Bird Check-In and you don't even have to mess with the 23 hour 59 minute check-in video game.

dharkin

Reaction score
I looked at shipping ahead but the price of an additional bag was far less. I just used the UPS calculator and a 10 pound package shipped from my house to Bozeman, on a 3 day select shipping rate was $69.90 without insurance.

bonefish41

Reaction score
A few more bucks for the Early Bird Check-In and you don't even have to mess with the 23 hour 59 minute check-in video game.
I'm just a 79 year old pensioner who likes to pinch pennies for extra shots and like to play the airline game...btw maybe if you're going to your condo in Phoenix for the winter you'll ship your sticks...but from my observation Miami/Fort Lauderdale and Cabo for every rod case that appears at the oversized bin on my flight there are 5 to 8 full bags on my flight...particularly Cabo...The pic is my blue water rod bag in signal orange ..put pvc tubes inside to protect the rods and the AFTCO butts are in the side pouches. It is as long as a full golf bag is tall so have to be carried down from checkin but how can you miss signal orange but American and Southwest did it once... Oversize.jpg

el jefe

Reaction score
Another option for gear on airlines is the Club Glove Last Bag, designed for golf bags but employed in other uses now.

Club Glove Golf Travel Bag

The inspiration for this comes via someone on my daughter's sled hockey team. He carries and flies with his personal sled in just such a bag. For fishing, you could fit all kinds of rods, reels, waders, boots, vests, fly boxes, clothes, etc., in it. It's on rollers, too, which is real handy. Of course, it is subject to the same lost baggage risks as any bag checked on an airline. That's why I prefer shipping some things ahead; I think the shippers have a better track record than the airlines.

denver1911

Reaction score
To you guys who travel by air to fish, why don't you ship your stuff to and from the destination? Golfers do it all the time, and it works. With shipping services, you can also purchase insurance for the value of your stuff, should something happen to it. It's also a lot easier to go through airports without lugging all of that awkwardly shaped and sized gear. FedEx can deliver to anywhere in the world on any schedule you want.
Shipping it sounds like a much bigger hassle than just carrying it. I’m not talking about travel to populated US cities, but even if I was, carrying a bag through the airport sounds easier than boxing up my stuff, driving to the FedEx place, paying to send it, finding the pick up spot in an unfamiliar location, driving there, picking it up, then re-packing after the trip, driving to the drop-off, paying to ship it, driving out to pick it up when I get home, etc. Sheesh. Just toss it in a carry-on and go. If they make me check it because it doesn’t fit their bin .. ok .. $25 or whatever to check it .. right there .. not at some place across town where I need to package it up, address it, and then go out to pick it up at my destination. Oh, and I don’t think Fed Ex would deliver to Christmas Island on whatever schedule I want. Sooooo much easier to carry it.

cyclerdoug

Reaction score
Minor thread revival here, gents...If I don't want to risk my Fishpond bag not being allowed as a carry-on with AA in 2 weeks when I head to Key West, will they have any issues if I put 2 rods in their tubes and pack them in my checked bag along with my reels? I am a pilot but haven't flown commercially in 25 years so excuse the stupid question please!

proheli

Reaction score
Minor thread revival here, gents...If I don't want to risk my Fishpond bag not being allowed as a carry-on with AA in 2 weeks when I head to Key West, will they have any issues if I put 2 rods in their tubes and pack them in my checked bag along with my reels? I am a pilot but haven't flown commercially in 25 years so excuse the stupid question please!
I can't believe they wouldn't let you take on the 30" Dakota. I'm sure it would be fine. But on the 1% that it was not okay, then at the most you would check it at the gate or down at the plane with all the baby strollers. They'd just bring it back out to you when you got off the plane. If you wait to check it at the plane hen you know it will arrive with you. The moms have to have their strollers so they don't have to carry the chill'uns a mile through the airport on their hips. Take a garbage bag to wrap the Dakota to keep the dirt off of it. They will even mark it "fragile" for you. I took Delta to Portland a couple of months ago and even called to ask them if the 30" Dakota was okay. They said yes.

Last edited:

bonefish41

Reaction score
I have been carrying on four piece rods in either ovis or abel cases and all my reels to KW for over ten years...don't risk delayed rods and reels...I would never check my fly reels

proheli

Reaction score
I remember a few years ago, like 6 years? The Airlines got super anal about the size of carry on's for a little while. They would check every bag and and it had to fit in their box as you got ready to board the plane. I think that is when a lot of guys got nervous about taking on odd sizes cases on planes. I remember a few weeks ago a group of kids withe their good sized skate boards on the plane.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
I remember a few years ago, like 6 years? The Airlines got super anal about the size of carry on's for a little while. They would check every bag and and it had to fit in their box as you got ready to board the plane. I think that is when a lot of guys got nervous about taking on odd sizes cases on planes. I remember a few weeks ago a group of kids withe their good sized skate boards on the plane.
As someone who’s flows quite a bit the last 7-8 years (although not as much the last 18 months for obvious reasons), I believe you’re referring to frontier. They’re the only airline I’ve ever flown (reluctantly) who has the boxes to check your carry-on size exactly. I’ve had no issue carrying on rods with AA or United.

cyclerdoug

Reaction score
Ok, I did NOT know about the checking at the plane thing...I may just do that and pay any extra fee to have them hand it to me at Charlotte for my connector and then head to the other terminal for that last leg down to the Keys. I am an absolute newb at this fishing thing in general, let alone fly fishing, and the thought of having my stuff arrive with me is better than the alternative. (Losing it!)

bonefish41

Reaction score
Ok, I did NOT know about the checking at the plane thing...I may just do that and pay any extra fee to have them hand it to me at Charlotte for my connector and then head to the other terminal for that last leg down to the Keys. I am an absolute newb at this fishing thing in general, let alone fly fishing, and the thought of having my stuff arrive with me is better than the alternative. (Losing it!)
Show what you intend for your carry-on rod case and its dimensions...it's not losing it... it is the delay since you are familiar with your rod ...remember that your rod case constitutes your carry-on it's analogous to carry-on roller bags it's stowed up top...for your reels and other stuff flies etc but no pliers bigger under 7"(pic has been measured probably 25-30 times by newby TSAs...it measures they place it against an acceptable outline within go...without no go... I've had this for 30 plus years this was Abel's first attempt at reel art...your reels and other stuff in a softside it is stowed under the seat it's your personal item...my pictured Abel bag is 30 some years old and in it is everything I need to fish in Key West for 4 or 5 days stuffed full but flexible enough to fit under the forward seat...American, my July trip was American to KW no problem just measure and add up LplusWplusD=or less than the total box dimensions but keep the rod case less than 34 in length
AbelPliers.jpg
AbelSoftBag.jpg

original cormorant

Reaction score
Checking at the plane isn't a standard chargeable procedure - it's a what has to be done if there's no space left in the overhead lockers. It doesn't do any harm to get hold of a "cabin baggage" tag for your carry on at the check-in desk (if there is one with a person).

Somewhere above you mentioned putting tubes in your checked baggage - are you sure you need the tubes to protect your rods? I'm normally up against weight limits on checked baggage.

cyclerdoug

Reaction score
@original cormorant Good Morning, and thanks for the advice! I should be more than fine with the weight limit including the tubes, I'm going by myself which means I don't need the 8 pairs of shoes and assorted "stuff" my wife crams in there for a drive to Baltimore for a weekend. The more I read the advice in here the more I think I may take my rod case and if I can't carry it on I'll let them check it at the plane. With my fingers crossed the whole time of course.

smp005

Reaction score
Flying business class or first class pretty much alleviates the luggage issues. It has been my experience that you get what you pay for - no hassles with check in, no hassles with boarding or carry ons and last I checked, you don't see the having to duck tape passengers to their seats in the First class cabin... Understandably it is more expensive - I just factor that into the cost of the trip - nothing worse than starting off what is expected to be a great trip with airlines problems....

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Checking at the plane isn't a standard chargeable procedure - it's a what has to be done if there's no space left in the overhead lockers. It doesn't do any harm to get hold of a "cabin baggage" tag for your carry on at the check-in desk (if there is one with a person).

Somewhere above you mentioned putting tubes in your checked baggage - are you sure you need the tubes to protect your rods? I'm normally up against weight limits on checked baggage.
OC,
Do you check your rods without rod tubes? What kind of luggage do you use? I normally travel with duffel bags, and putting rods in soft bags seems like a recipe for disaster. On the other hand, I've been thinking about getting a Pelican "Air" series hard case to use as checked luggage and I'd feel comfortable putting rods in their socks in one of those. I sometimes run up against weight limits when I travel, and the pelican case is fairly heavy at about 14 pounds, but not shipping 4 or 5 rod tubes at around a pound each would make the weight acceptable to me.