New Carry on size restrictions on American Airlines

original cormorant

Reaction score
I use a roller duffel with a separate hard shell base. It weighs 9lbs empty. I've had mine for many years and its badged Sage but most of the tackle brands produce something similar. I carry up to six rods in their socks in the base - there are retaining straps on the "lid" of the base section which divides it from the separate top section.
Typically all of my tackle except reels goes in the base section and reels, clothing and all other non-fishing stuff in the top section. I normally have a problem with the 50lb limit so my reels are in a dry sack duffel in the top section until I check my bag at which point the dry sack becomes my carry on bag (and is obviously useful on the trip). My Orvis sling pack "handbag" or duty free purchases can also fit into the dry sack.

A fault with my bag is the design of the handle on the top of the bag which hasn't withstood the assaults of baggage handlers - all handles need really resilient anchorage.

If I was buying today this is the bag I would get (not sure if available in the US).
https://www.snowbee.co.uk/webshop/f...s-luggage/xs-travel-bags/16447-xs-travel-bag/

smp005

Reaction score
OC,
Do you check your rods without rod tubes? What kind of luggage do you use? I normally travel with duffel bags, and putting rods in soft bags seems like a recipe for disaster. On the other hand, I've been thinking about getting a Pelican "Air" series hard case to use as checked luggage and I'd feel comfortable putting rods in their socks in one of those. I sometimes run up against weight limits when I travel, and the pelican case is fairly heavy at about 14 pounds, but not shipping 4 or 5 rod tubes at around a pound each would make the weight acceptable to me.
I have the Pelican hard case luggage - the earlier version.. Its good luggage overall but it is heavy. The problem is 4 piece rods only fit in the big case, which is often more than is needed for a week trip...

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Thanks OC,

I think that kind of drop bottom bag with a hard base looks like a good solution. Unfortunately, many of them, including the Snowbee, are over the maximum for checked luggage. I'm sure most of the time there would be no problem, but I've had a few bad experiences involving airline personnel and tape measures. The Fishpond and Simms bags meet airline size requirements, but I get sticker shock every time I see the prices.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I have the Pelican hard case luggage - the earlier version.. Its good luggage overall but it is heavy. The problem is 4 piece rods only fit in the big case, which is often more than is needed for a week trip...
The size issue is one of the reasons I haven't pulled the trigger on a Pelican yet. It won't work for light planes and boats smaller than a cruise ship.

original cormorant

Reaction score
Thanks OC,

I think that kind of drop bottom bag with a hard base looks like a good solution. Unfortunately, many of them, including the Snowbee, are over the maximum for checked luggage. I'm sure most of the time there would be no problem, but I've had a few bad experiences involving airline personnel and tape measures. The Fishpond and Simms bags meet airline size requirements, but I get sticker shock every time I see the prices.
I'm not aware of any maximum dimensions for checked baggage, which airlines have these rules? The base of my bag is 28.5 x 16.5 the height will depend on the compression straps and how much is in the bag, it would probably be about the same as the width. I have been using this bag since about 2005 or 2006 and have never had any issue, I have travelled with several people using the Snowbee bag and they have never had any issues.
The smallest planes I've been on are about 20 seaters on internal flights in Beize and Honduras. I recall a flight where there was no baggage hold and all baggage was stowed in the main cabin. I've never met a boat with a baggage size restriction.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I'm not aware of any maximum dimensions for checked baggage, which airlines have these rules? The base of my bag is 28.5 x 16.5 the height will depend on the compression straps and how much is in the bag, it would probably be about the same as the width. I have been using this bag since about 2005 or 2006 and have never had any issue, I have travelled with several people using the Snowbee bag and they have never had any issues.
The smallest planes I've been on are about 20 seaters on internal flights in Beize and Honduras. I recall a flight where there was no baggage hold and all baggage was stowed in the main cabin. I've never met a boat with a baggage size restriction.
62 linear inches (length, width, height combined) is the maximum size for a checked bag for almost every airline in the world. Anything beyond that potentially incurs oversize baggage charges. It isn't always enforced, but I have seen it happen (including to me). My comment about problems on light planes and boats was aimed at the Pelican and was more about it being hard luggage than its size. I have done a lot of charter flights on light aircraft where hard luggage is simply not allowed (although those aircraft are a lot smaller than 20-seaters). On most boats, there's just no place to store hard luggage.

original cormorant

Reaction score
62 linear inches (length, width, height combined) is the maximum size for a checked bag for almost every airline in the world. Anything beyond that potentially incurs oversize baggage charges. It isn't always enforced, but I have seen it happen (including to me). My comment about problems on light planes and boats was aimed at the Pelican and was more about it being hard luggage than its size. I have done a lot of charter flights on light aircraft where hard luggage is simply not allowed (although those aircraft are a lot smaller than 20-seaters). On most boats, there's just no place to store hard luggage.
My trips mostly begin with BA or Virgin where the limit is 82 or 81 inches, which I've only just discovered is exceptional. I have travelled on airlines with 62 inch limits without a problem - it's only now that I learnt of a 62 inch limit, it's possible that these limits may have changed since I travelled on these airlines.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
My trips mostly begin with BA or Virgin where the limit is 82 or 81 inches, which I've only just discovered is exceptional. I have travelled on airlines with 62 inch limits without a problem - it's only now that I learnt of a 62 inch limit, it's possible that these limits may have changed since I travelled on these airlines.
Thanks, OC, you taught me something new today. It looks like Virgin Atlantic still has an 81 inch limit. Virgin America is 62, though. BA says 62 as well, but maybe it depends on where your flight originates or what kind of ticket you have. One day, that 81 inch Virgin limit might be useful to me. Unfortunately, not many Virgin flights originate or end in the countries in which I live.

smp005

Reaction score
The size issue is one of the reasons I haven't pulled the trigger on a Pelican yet. It won't work for light planes and boats smaller than a cruise ship.
Exactly... I use it for long business trips internationally to hopefully reduce theft by the baggage handlers outside the US. I used soft luggage from Redoxx (https://www.redoxx.com/) for everything else.. Excellent gear made in Billings, Montana :)

original cormorant

Reaction score
Thanks, OC, you taught me something new today. It looks like Virgin Atlantic still has an 81 inch limit. Virgin America is 62, though. BA says 62 as well, but maybe it depends on where your flight originates or what kind of ticket you have. One day, that 81 inch Virgin limit might be useful to me. Unfortunately, not many Virgin flights originate or end in the countries in which I live.
It appears that like Virgin, BA have different rules for different markets - and amazing hand and carry on weight limits, 23kg for each of them!
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials#LNA

Curmudgeon

Reaction score

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Exactly... I use it for long business trips internationally to hopefully reduce theft by the baggage handlers outside the US. I used soft luggage from Redoxx (https://www.redoxx.com/) for everything else.. Excellent gear made in Billings, Montana :)
Those Red Oxx bags look well designed. But after 25 years, my old Orvis canvas and leather bags are in such beautiful condition (and have a patina and memories from five continents and countless countries, hotels, fishing trips, and safaris) that I can't bring myself to replace them. It is unfortunate that they are just a bit too small for a 4-piece 9 foot rod case.

LOC

Reaction score
I have been considering a carry on rod case from Fishpond or Orvis, but this makes me wonder whether it would be worthwhile. If this works for American, I suspect other airlines will find it attractive as yet another way to separate passengers from their money. I don't have a problem with sensible and consistent size restrictions for carry ons, but if it is anything other than a cynical money grab, the bag sizer should be at check in, not boarding.

I have seen the bag sizer at check in it’s usually by the self serve kiosk.

One and yes airlines do what they can to squeeze money at of you it’s the corporate way of running a business.

Two, folks were trying to skirt the second check in bag fee by taking their second bag as a carry on and if it did not fit in the overhead or if it was full they checked it at that point and avoided the second bag fee.