New England next weekend

smarty140

Reaction score
I am headed to the Northeast on business and will will Sunday and most of Monday next weekend to fish somewhere (Aug1-2).

I'm flying into Boston on Saturday late afternoon and have to be back there about the same time Monday to meet up with the rest of my group.

Does anyone have suggestions based on water conditions around the region? I'd like to stay within about 3 hours of Boston so that I don't kill all my time driving and am mostly looking for trout. Wading for smallmouth would be ok too if conditions are poor for trout everywhere in the radius that I specified.

From what I see online, CT rivers like the Farmington and Housatonic are really high and unfishable?
I fished the Deerfield several years ago, and had a great time, but would like to explore new water.
I'm thinking of trying the Battenkill in VT, but open to other suggestions.

If anyone would prefer to PM me instead of posting, please do. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

ryan

skunkedalot

Reaction score
The Farmy is dropping as they are slowing down the flow from the dam. Check out Upcountry Sports website for updates.
Barring another wave of heavy rain, the Hous has dropped significantly and should be fishable in the next week or less. The white fly hatch is right around the corner- possibly this week or next. The current level is 1860 cfs . Safe wading is (for me) 500 cfs or less but many wade at 800 cfs or higher.

smarty140

Reaction score
The Farmy is dropping as they are slowing down the flow from the dam. Check out Upcountry Sports website for updates.
Barring another wave of heavy rain, the Hous has dropped significantly and should be fishable in the next week or less. The white fly hatch is right around the corner- possibly this week or next. The current level is 1860 cfs . Safe wading is (for me) 500 cfs or less but many wade at 800 cfs or higher.
Thanks for the reply, I'll keep an eye on flows the next couple days and if things keep looking better, CT will be my plan!

jpakstis

Reaction score
Most of the closer rivers to Boston are still way up there in heights and flows. We have now had the 2nd most rainfall in Boston ever recorded. It also looks we will be getting two more periods of rain this week. At one point one of the gages at the Millers River had the height at close to 9.5 feet (typically it’d be around 3.5 - 4 this time of year). We’ve essentially had summer in spring and spring in summer out here this year.

The Swift River probably is the safest bet since it’s a tailwater. In fact we’ve been getting so much rain they’ve turned down releases there so it’s down to about 2 ft (was 2.5 ft) and 55 cfs (was in the 90s). It also switched over to artificial lures/flies and C&R only on 7/1. They also stocked it with rainbows on 7/1 and 7/2.

smarty140

Reaction score
Most of the closer rivers to Boston are still way up there in heights and flows. We have now had the 2nd most rainfall in Boston ever recorded. It also looks we will be getting two more periods of rain this week. At one point one of the gages at the Millers River had the height at close to 9.5 feet (typically it’d be around 3.5 - 4 this time of year). We’ve essentially had summer in spring and spring in summer out here this year.

The Swift River probably is the safest bet since it’s a tailwater. In fact we’ve been getting so much rain they’ve turned down releases there so it’s down to about 2 ft (was 2.5 ft) and 55 cfs (was in the 90s). It also switched over to artificial lures/flies and C&R only on 7/1. They also stocked it with rainbows on 7/1 and 7/2.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

smarty140

Reaction score
Thanks to the guys that gave me advice for this trip.

After flight delays on Saturday, shuffling my motel reservations, and driving until 1:30am, I got a late start fishing the Farmington on Sunday morning.

I stopped at Upcountry to get a license,a couple flies, and some advice on sections to try.

I managed a couple fish on dry flies Sunday, and one more Monday morning but overall fishing was somewhat slow. There were a lot of other fishermen on the river on Sunday, which wasn't surprising considering the location. It sure is a beautiful river and I really like the size - big enough to have plenty of water and some variety, but small enough to feel manageable.

After how hot and dry the summer has been in the NW, getting rained on fishing on Sunday evening felt great!

New England sure is beautiful...

ryan

skunkedalot

Reaction score
weekends tend to be pretty busy on the farmy. With few exceptions- it is pretty much the only place to fish for trout in the summer in CT.
most of CT. rivers and streams are to warm to support year round trouting. However, there are many rivers that support great smallie fishing so that is the trade off.

smarty140

Reaction score
Yeah, I figured it would be pretty busy and didn't have high expectations so I wasn't let down. I did really like the river and had a good time. The area sure is nice too - was really impressed with how well kept all the homes seem to be between there and where I got off the interstate. There was definitely some trash along the river, but with the heavy use from tubers, etc that doesn't seem like a huge surprise.

Teeth

Reaction score
I might have missed the whole tube hatch this year. Haven’t been since the last week of June. Need a trip soon but the temps and reports are not looking good. :(

Walter1023

Reaction score
Before the heavy rains and huge flows a few weeks ago the Farmington was fishing EXCELLENT. alot of bugs and alot of rising fish. I fished it this past Tuesday for the first time since the flows went down and there were practically no hatches. Spoke to a buddy and a few on stream acquaintances and they all said the same thing......lack of bugs following the floods ? We'll see. On a positive note.....I have caught more wild 8 inch browns this year than ever before......some days i'll catch 10 all in the same stretch - and i think that speaks volumes about the solid natural reproduction that is going on in that river. I also have caught quite a few wild brookies in the same size. This river - along with the Upper D - are the dry fly gems of the northeast.

triocd

Reaction score
Thanks to the guys that gave me advice for this trip.

After flight delays on Saturday, shuffling my motel reservations, and driving until 1:30am, I got a late start fishing the Farmington on Sunday morning.

I stopped at Upcountry to get a license,a couple flies, and some advice on sections to try.

I managed a couple fish on dry flies Sunday, and one more Monday morning but overall fishing was somewhat slow. There were a lot of other fishermen on the river on Sunday, which wasn't surprising considering the location. It sure is a beautiful river and I really like the size - big enough to have plenty of water and some variety, but small enough to feel manageable.

After how hot and dry the summer has been in the NW, getting rained on fishing on Sunday evening felt great!

New England sure is beautiful...

ryan
I got over there yesterday, only second time this year. Fishing was tough and I knew it would be slow. I caught 4 small fish and there wasn’t much hatching although I did see some tiny bwos hatching late afternoon when I left. It sure is a pretty river and there are some beautiful wild trout in it.