New Flats Fly Lines

deceiverbob

Reaction score
I have an Airflo Cleartip Tropical short coming in 8 wt. I plan to fish it on an 8 wt TCX, but I have other 8s to try it on also. Airflo gives a head wt of 400 grains but I think that is for the entire 51' head. I spent a short time with one of these lines on a 9 wt (TFO Mangrove)last year and it impressed me enough that I wanted to try it on my 8 wt. As part of the same order, I also have a 5 wt Amplitude smooth bone fish on the way. I am going to try it on the new X in a few weeks. I will post my impressions here after I fish both lines.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
The main reason line companies are reluctant to suggest lines for rods is two fold. First, they make many lines and some are performance oriented for skilled anglers, often with longer, compound tapers and extended rear tapers and second they also produce short blunt head lines for anglers less understanding about rod loading and line carrying. Yes, it is there belief, though they would never pronounce this in public, that many of us can't cast particularly well butt they want us to go fishing anyway.

I think you meant to say "buy their stuff anyway".;)

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
As a follow up to our above discussion about RIO's DirectCore lines, on my recent Florida redfishing trip I switched a line out. On Stickman T8, a fast rod with plenty of power, I've been fishing SA Amplitude Bonefish, a 210 grain line in its first 30'. This is the line this rod was designed around and it works well though I'm not a fan of its sound, albeit milder than previous SA textured offerings. I've very happily been fishing RIO DC Bonefish on my NRX#8...its best line ever, and opted to experiment with it on T8. DC Bonefish is 218 gr. so is essentially a true weight line. I'd been contemplating mounting a 210 gr. Flats Pro #7 but prefer the taper of the Bonefish version. This was a fine performing rod with the SA Bonefish but with the DC RIO Bonefish it elevated its "zing" factor to the next major level. The tightest, smoothest loops at any distance are generated by this pairing achieved not only by the taper designed to afford an ultimate balance between rod load and wind penetrating aggressiveness and long head, extended rear taper long line aerialization without a hint of hinging.

This line both shoots and hovers beautifully, presentation situation dependent and easily turns over, straight as an arrow, the long, 11 to 14' hand knotted Fluorocarbon leaders I favor. When the fish eats, another salient design feature of the DC technology comes into play; in addition to the sharp reflexes the line provides during casting, its limited stretch core characteristics provide optimal strip-strike direct connection between your hand and the fish, a genuine advantage fishing flats species.

For my big gun Sage SALT favoring a heavier line, its current Permit or next Flats Pro is ideal but for any of my truer to AFFTA spec favoring flats rods RIO DirectCore Bonefish is now my go to line.

One last thing, and RIO might emphasize this more, I have commented previously that welded loop technology, though smooth and convenient may not be fully as strong as the tensile strength of the line itself. Hence I reinforce my factory loops with a 12 turn Nail Knot over the doubled proton, effectively mechanically upgrading its thermo-chemical construction. Not so with DirectCore series lines. These premium lines' loops are reinforced by RIO for max performance and additionally have their size designation printed on the just noticeable covering sleeve. A nice asset for those of us with multiple fly lines.

okiekev

Reaction score
Well it’s that time of year where we all dream of warmer places, so if y’all don’t mind I would like to fire this thread up again. I am contemplating a new line for my Asquith 8. Currently I have a Rio Bonefish (pre DC) and am contemplating an update. The rod does well with this line (as I believe it honestly would with just about any line) but I am curious about the benefits of the DC or even the promised casting ease of the SA Amp Smooth Bonefish.

I like to wade whenever I can and want something high floating. I am not completely opposed to the textured SA but would prefer the smooth. Any input now that these lines have been out for a while? I would also love any insight from those using the same rod. Thanks in advance...

okiekev

Reaction score
For reference i thought it would be nice to see some of the top contenders sided by side
Rio DC Bonefish 8 wt 240 gr
BE707573-6760-4986-A716-BF96A7F55F40.jpg
SA Amp Bonefish 8 wt 210 gr
D284BA08-8BD1-476E-9288-F3C8282AB933.jpg
Airflo SuperDri Bonefish 8 wt 240 gr
919D15E5-C530-4F7E-BE50-888AE6CF9AB4.jpg
Courtland Bonefish 8wt 210 gr
F00BCF98-56D7-47A8-8B3F-3CF3DC8FD414.jpg
Courtland Liquid Crystal Blue Flats 8 wt 210 gr
108B2BC1-F8F8-4964-992A-0B55AEAAED23.jpg

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I too am in flats fly line update mode. First off, RIO DC Bonefish #8 is 218 gr. and my current favorite having directly compared it to SA Amplitude Bonefish which is also good. I have tried Airflo Tropic Ridge Bonefish on NRX which really did not like it at all, however, my Scott S4s does like it so all is good. I always carry Cortland Blue on a spare reel in case it is really windy as this line is a supper shooter but does not float high. I have not tried Cortland Tropic Plus Bonefish but I like this series of lines and its taper so I will get one for this coming trip.

dynaflow

Reaction score
Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia
S&S's reply #83 above sums up the current iterations of the venerable Rio Bonefish line.The original line has been my go-to for Xmas Island ever since it was released,but the DC version is a revelation with it's non-stretch core.This would be my choice for your fast action Asquith.The S.A.Amplitude is a nice line but I prefer the Rio,and I'd consider a similar wt.(8) DC Flats Pro for when the wind really gets up.I'm also not a fan of the Airflo.I generally find their lines too thick and therefore a handicap on a windy flat.This can also compromise your backing capacity.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
S&S's reply #83 above sums up the current iterations of the venerable Rio Bonefish line.The original line has been my go-to for Xmas Island ever since it was released,but the DC version is a revelation with it's non-stretch core.This would be my choice for your fast action Asquith.The S.A.Amplitude is a nice line but I prefer the Rio,and I'd consider a similar wt.(8) DC Flats Pro for when the wind really gets up.I'm also not a fan of the Airflo.I generally find their lines too thick and therefore a handicap on a windy flat.This can also compromise your backing capacity.
The Airflo lines are not only thicker but their poly coating is softer...do not let this line go into mangroves. If one likes the concept of a poly coating try the Cortland Blue Flats taper instead, they do it better. I've thought of a cool comparison; RIO Bonefish (old or new) shares taper design traits with RIO Gold as SA Bonefish to a little lesser extant does with their Trout. And that is how these two lines compare too...the SA is a light touch line for a little softer rod like my old Scott Heliply while DC Bonefish has more zing and authority for a rod with more potency...and a light touch in presentation too. Not only is its coating significantly improved but even more so than in trout fishing, the limited stretch core is an asset in positive strip-striking.

There is another new line with flats potential and that is SA's Amplitude Smooth Infinity Salt. This line may be a better alternative to their Grand Slam but is a full half size heavy for a rod that wants such weight like perhaps TFO's BVK or Mangrove...but none of my rods want to be overlines at all especially since I am already doing so by often holding a long line in the air as I tend to cast not shoot to bonefish.

dynaflow, I hope you are safe from the horrendous fires plaguing Australia.

bonefish41

Reaction score
Now youse guys have done it again...I've been packed for my Key West February trip for two weeks. Yesterday between the play off games I took out my 8wt Bolt thinking maybe I should take it along with my 9 TCX, 10 TCX, 10 TCR, and 11 Method. 8wtLineRods.jpg

So after reading your posts with my morning coffee, I opened my bag to ascertain what reels did I pack and what 8 do I have? 8wtLineSaltBag.jpg8wtLineReels.jpg

I don't... my venerable 3N was packed in my fresh water bag for the March Steel trip.8wtLine3NBag.jpg

It's loaded with an OPST head and I don't remember( just clicked 78) what I did with the 8wt line. 8wtLine3N.jpg

So I went to my favorite online sale sites, Sierra Trading Post and Madison River Flyfishing Company to look for sale 8wts...nothing...so if I'm going to pop full retail, tell me, guys, for my 8wt Bolt what latest line or do I even need latest line with the Bolt? I'll be skiff bound in KW with the 8 and if I get out it will be for a tailing Permit and that will be the 10 wt TCX.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I'm going to save you a little money and suggest the Cortland All Purpose Tropic Plus line at $80. Same technology as their top-of-the-line salt tapers but a simpler older taper that I have use and it works great. I am going to spring for this same series in the new last year Bonefish version which you should check out too. These lines have monocores coated with PVC and handle and shoot really well.

dynaflow

Reaction score
Thanks for your good wishes S&S....we're safe here at the easternmost point of the continent because we enjoy a more regular rainfall,but unfortunately this isn't the case with our fellow countrymen and collectively we're in dire straits.If it's not bushfire it's drought.Apart from the loss of human life we have lost innumerable native fauna,especially Koalas as their method of escape is to climb up the nearest tree.I must pass on a huge vote of thanks to our American friends who have sent fire fighters to Australia to help out....but back to fly lines,and I agree with your comment about S.A.'s Amplitute Smooth Infinity Salt.I've just got to come to grips with it's price of $200AUD!!
Cheers

okiekev

Reaction score
What an unbelievable situation there dynaflow, we are praying for relief and safety to you, your countrymen, and the animals!

Regarding the lines, I succumbed to the temptation and went to my local shop and gave the DC Bonefish a try... $120 later here we are! Well, to be honest I may have picked up a few other necessities and that $120 quickly turned into $200 as it always does... but don’t worry I am only holding y’all accountable for the line! Haha!

Everything about this line makes sense. The taper was great, I loved the coloring, I loved the length of the colored sections to time my casts, and Rio finally started labeling their lines. Thank you for everyone’s recommendations, I am pretty excited. There is a noticeable difference compared to the previous Rio Bonefish iteration, and I can’t wait to come tight on a bonefish with the “directcore.”

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Not only casting but you are really going to be impressed with the strip-striking. Only the DC RIO lines with the welded loop reinforcement have the Name-Number printed on it. The DC Permit (which is a full size heavy) will, in #9 be used on my 9-weight SALT, a defacto 10-weight but a very interesting larger size line.

dynaflow

Reaction score
Line management (especially on a windy flat) presents a huge problem for many,so many resort to stripping baskets which personally I find cumbersome...this is where the Rio DC lines shine as they anneal easily and lay straight.I'm not aware of any other fly line maker that offers this feature.

brokeoff

Reaction score
I too am in flats fly line update mode. First off, RIO DC Bonefish #8 is 218 gr. and my current favorite having directly compared it to SA Amplitude Bonefish which is also good. I have tried Airflo Tropic Ridge Bonefish on NRX which really did not like it at all, however, my Scott S4s does like it so all is good. I always carry Cortland Blue on a spare reel in case it is really windy as this line is a supper shooter but does not float high. I have not tried Cortland Tropic Plus Bonefish but I like this series of lines and its taper so I will get one for this coming trip.
S&S, I would be careful about quoting the Rio website. I had a hunch from the first day that Rio Bonefish and Rio DC Bonefish were the exact same taper and gr weight. We have discussed this before and it looks like you are pulling your numbers from Rio. This morning I called customer service and the rep told me very confidently that they are the exact same taper and gr weight. So now we are comparing my hunch, to the site, to the reps info. Like I mentioned previously, the only way to figure this out will be to weigh both of them. I'm on a mission.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
So 218 vs. 225 #8 (210)? I know they are the same taper and will see Simon Gawsworth at Edison end of this month and will put the question to him. Since I rely on the mfg's., RIO, SA and Cortland for these measurements it would be nice to know they are accurate + or - a grain or three. Nevertheless, both the original amd more so the DirectCore are great fly lines.

oldskewl808

Reaction score
I have fished the regular Rio Bonefish taper for years and the DC Flats Pro definitely feels different. Or is there a regular taper Bonefish direct core that’s different from the flats pro? I’m ready for a new 7-weight line and like the Rio lines. I have also been running the Airflo Tropical Ridge for 7-weight which I really like but it seems they start to get tangle prone after a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
oldskewl, While Flats Pro came first, there is a growing family of DirectCore lines, most relevantly to you and me, DC Bonefish. The same great taper as the original but with the new coating and core technology. While there are a few other excellent bonefish lines notably from new Cortland in their Tropic Plus and Liquid Crystal series, DC Bonefish is in a class all its own.