New GoPro hero5 - any tips?

cwb124

Reaction score
Hey folks, doing my first Alaska fishing trip in a few weeks and I snagged a GoPro hero5 a few weeks ago on sale. Wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions to get the best videos and/or photos.

I have:
3 batteries.
(2) 64GB sd cards and a 32gb that came in the package
Head mount
Telescoping monopod for getting underwater shots or whatever
Gorilla clamp

Would a polarized lens be worth the money? I am aiming for 1080 at 60fps to get good quality and allow slow mo.

mikechell

Reaction score
I don't think a polarized lens will help. The GoPro I have (Hero 3) is already a dark picture. Polarized lenses are usually darker and I think will make early morning/late evening parts of a video TOO dark to see anything.

Mine also burns through a battery in about 2.5 hours. So, 3 batteries will get you about 7 or 8 hours of fishing. Sounds like enough, but if it's a good day, and you don't want to come off the water, you'll lose the last few fish you catch (maybe the BIG one?) of the day.

Yesterday's video ...

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I also have the Hero5. The one thing I did was set it to shot a photo as a default. So now when I push the ON button (on the side) the camera comes up into photo mode and I'm ready to take a photo.
If the camera is off, and I press the shutter button on top, the camera turns ON and starts a video recording. So I now have both modes available with one button click, which I find very handy.

If I press the ON button to get into photo mode, then a second pressing of the ON button it will go to burst mode, another press of the ON button and it goes to time lapse.

I can't provide any info on a polarized lens as I haven't tried it.

One thing I did learn the hard way is that if you want to take an underwater video of your fish, make sure the sun angle is located to the rear, vice in front. When the sun is located to the rear the water clarity will usually be very good. If the sun is located out front, it tends to pickup every little piece of debris in the water and your photo just doesn't look very good.

cwb124

Reaction score
Good stuff so far, I appreciate it. Forgot to mention I am bringing with me a 20,000 MaH battery pack which will allow me to charge a Gopro battery several times. That will be nice so I can go through the videos at the end of the day and make space on the SD cards without worrying about running out of battery. Will also use a backup iphone 6s as a camera as well since it can zoom a little bit.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I use a small folding solar panel for charging my cell or the batteries on my GoPro when I'm off the grid. That comes in real handy when I'm on an extended camping trip and don't have access to AC power.

cwb124

Reaction score
I didn't go solar as I hear they take a long time to charge anything. Like days, and I was especially concerned being in Alaska in late August when it could be overcast and rainy a good portion of the time. What have been your experiences with charge times? The battery pack I got can charge an iphone 5-6 times, or 2-3 times plus a few recharges of the gopro batteries.

The rear LCD on these new gopros are a game changer. I had the first gen and it was awful waiting until the trip was over to see if you got any good footage, especially from the head mount. I went 2 full days of recording bull trout and it was all wasted because the head mount wasn't pointed down enough. Barely a glimpse of the fish I caught. Can't get those videos back.

chi.fly.guy

Reaction score
I use a small folding solar panel for charging my cell or the batteries on my GoPro when I'm off the grid. That comes in real handy when I'm on an extended camping trip and don't have access to AC power.
I've thought about getting a small solar panel for charging my gopro and while I'm out on the water, I can leave a battery charging with the panel on top of my SUV. I've heard some guys who go on hikes will have theirs attached to their bags so they can continuously charge their gopro as they hike. Seems like a great idea except if you're in the water like most of us are.

From what I've seen and heard, Goal Zero makes some of the best ones out there but come with a price. Maybe I'll ask Santa for one and I can use it next year.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I've thought about getting a small solar panel for charging my gopro and while I'm out on the water, I can leave a battery charging with the panel on top of my SUV. I've heard some guys who go on hikes will have theirs attached to their bags so they can continuously charge their gopro as they hike. Seems like a great idea except if you're in the water like most of us are.

From what I've seen and heard, Goal Zero makes some of the best ones out there but come with a price. Maybe I'll ask Santa for one and I can use it next year.
Mine is a Goal Zero and that is what I do, put it on top of the Subaru and charge up my camera or phone while we are in camp, then put everything away while out fishing, works like a charm.

bluwave

Reaction score
I've always had luck shooting at sunrise or sunset because the midway light can be a little harsh on the GoPro. The best tip I can give you is to keep filming. The more you film the better you'll get.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Situk ?

I was thinking about that myself...……………

I have one of the Go Pro's with 2 extra batteries but seldom use it. The chest strap is what I use when I do use it.