New guy from Idaho, living in Texas.

new2flyfishing

Reaction score
Welcome. Not a purist either, and just getting into fly fishing. Fun sport. whispering...I will fish for bass with a baitcast rod, too. 🤫 Don't let anyone else know. 🦊

reconnaissanceman

Reaction score
Thanks. To pnc, what I mean by purist, is that I’ve been known to break some of the “rules” and have threaded a worm on a hook at the end of my tippet; I don’t use waders and don’t own some of the “essential” gear, having grown up improvising instead of spending my lunch money.

Reactions: pnc

fatbillybob

Reaction score
Co river around austin great bass on the fly. I always hit it when racing at CoTA.

WWKimba

Reaction score
Welcome to the site! You'll find a lot of fine and experienced fishers/tyers, teachers and all around fine people on this site. I'm a born and bred central NYer. Been tying for 50 years and hosting fly swaps for the past 10+ years. I'm mostly a warm water (hence the WW in my handle) fisher but there are a lot of "box of chocolates" flat water around here - lakes/ponds/gravel pits with a stream/river running through them. You cast and are never quite sure what may hit your offering! I like fishing these because on a slow day a stick can give me a rush! ;)

I look forward to crossing paths with you on the site and until then,

Tight lines.

Kim

Classtime

Reaction score
The Hill Country is good Fly Fishing Country. My folks used to live in Castroville which was a short drive to several clear running streams/rivers with loads of fish that will rise to a fly. I guess it is ok to put a worm on your tippet. When I was about 7 or 8 I went Muskie fishing with my uncles fly rod trolling a big creek chub jointed balsa lure. For big fish, I thought I needed that thick(strong) fishing line and a really long rod. My dad is not a fisherman and my uncle wasn't around. I didn't catch anything.
ccjointpikie.jpeg