New Jersey Fall Fishing

NJfishkeeper

Reaction score
Im thinking its time to break out the fly rods again in the coming week or two. when does everyone in Jersey/ PA start there fall trout seasons? I fished last year around the second to third week of october all the way up until new years before eventually i was tired of the cold beating me up. I was just curious what the consensus is around all my other New Jersey/ PA fishers fall seasons.

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was under the impression you folks had high waters back there at this time? Depending on the weather and water levels fall generally offers plenty of Caddis hatches and of course streamer fishing when the streams are either on the rise or dropping before and after rains. I always enjoyed fall because many people are otherwise occupied and the streams are way less crowded. As always try to avoid weekend trips and focus Tuesday through Thursday to even lessen the risk of running into crowded conditions. The colder it gets look to the nearest spring creeks to provide the fishing right through the winter. I've caught many a beauty on MLK day when I lived in PA.

frickerdog

Reaction score
Water temps have taken a dive. Knowing that, despite high gauge readings, I tried to fish my favorite NJ stream on Sunday, but the levels were really high and the fishing was no good. So, on Monday, I went for sunnies at my local stream (where I knew the water would be more reasonable) and had a blast. I may run up to the Catskills for a few days during the week of 9/20 or I’ll just start searching for NJ trout on the weekend of 9/25 while the wife is away.

NJfishkeeper

Reaction score
Hi,

I was under the impression you folks had high waters back there at this time? Depending on the weather and water levels fall generally offers plenty of Caddis hatches and of course streamer fishing when the streams are either on the rise or dropping before and after rains. I always enjoyed fall because many people are otherwise occupied and the streams are way less crowded. As always try to avoid weekend trips and focus Tuesday through Thursday to even lessen the risk of running into crowded conditions. The colder it gets look to the nearest spring creeks to provide the fishing right through the winter. I've caught many a beauty on MLK day when I lived in PA.
we for sure have high waters after all the rain, but hopefully they drop soon. and yeah I love fall because most of the streams are not occupied with people trying to catch and eat, most of the fish left are hold overs or smart monsters. I fished from october to NYE last year and barely ever ran into another person, it was way to cold for anyone else.

NJfishkeeper

Reaction score
Water temps have taken a dive. Knowing that, despite high gauge readings, I tried to fish my favorite NJ stream on Sunday, but the levels were really high and the fishing was no good. So, on Monday, I went for sunnies at my local stream (where I knew the water would be more reasonable) and had a blast. I may run up to the Catskills for a few days during the week of 9/20 or I’ll just start searching for NJ trout on the weekend of 9/25 while the wife is away.
what rod do you use for sunnies ? would a 4wt work ? ive always wanted to try but never did

frickerdog

Reaction score
what rod do you use for sunnies ? would a 4wt work ? ive always wanted to try but never did
I use my 4 wt only because I don't own anything lighter. Because most of them are smaller, something lighter would be more fun. I am currently in the market for a used 3 wt for this reason since I could use it when I am exclusively fishing for brookies or sunnies.

frickerdog

Reaction score
I fished from october to NYE last year and barely ever ran into another person, it was way to cold for anyone else.
I also fished through the year last year, so I may have been one of those "barely" occasions when you saw another fisherman. I knew October and November would be decent fishing, but the fishing in December was much better than I anticipated. If you really want the water all to yourself, try wading in January and February! I got into the water twice during each of those months and managed to catch a trout in each month, although they were pretty sluggish when bringing them in. For the winter, all you need to do is find a day when the temps rise above 40, and you are good to go!

NJfishkeeper

Reaction score
I also fished through the year last year, so I may have been one of those "barely" occasions when you saw another fisherman. I knew October and November would be decent fishing, but the fishing in December was much better than I anticipated. If you really want the water all to yourself, try wading in January and February! I got into the water twice during each of those months and managed to catch a trout in each month, although they were pretty sluggish when bringing them in. For the winter, all you need to do is find a day when the temps rise above 40, and you are good to go!
well there was a day I ran into a group of friends on a river, and one day when I met a solo guy up north near oxford. less well known spot with quite a hike to get to so i was surprised to see anyone.

frickerdog

Reaction score
Rivers/Streams mostly. I find that the fish are more aggressive in moving water. I think I can share locations without upsetting the masses since these are sunnies and not trout. My most common locations are the Ramapo River in Mahwah/Oakland and the HoHoKus Brook in Waldwick (just above White's Pond).

NJfishkeeper

Reaction score
Rivers/Streams mostly. I find that the fish are more aggressive in moving water. I think I can share locations without upsetting the masses since these are sunnies and not trout. My most common locations are the Ramapo River in Mahwah/Oakland and the HoHoKus Brook in Waldwick (just above White's Pond).
ive never fished those streams/rivers. ill have to take a look. I had one spot I use to go for smallies but had nothing but sunnies blow up on the popper that was way to large for there mouth lol.