New member from Michigan

Ryndunk

Reaction score
Hi. New member here from south east Michigan. Been fly fishing and fly tying for about 18 years. Picked up the hobby after I failed miserably at golf. Spend most of my time on the water targeting small mouth and carp, but I will chase just about anything that swims. Looking forward to steelhead season. Just checking in to say hi. Thanks for having me.

Ryndunk

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! I use a pattern very close to that.

Swinging flys for steelhead is some of my favorite fishing. Not opposed to indicator fishing either. I just don't get to do it as much as I would like. Fall is usually my busiest season for work. Hoping to get out a bit more this year though.

dswice

Reaction score
Hi. New member here from south east Michigan. Been fly fishing and fly tying for about 18 years. Picked up the hobby after I failed miserably at golf. Spend most of my time on the water targeting small mouth and carp, but I will chase just about anything that swims. Looking forward to steelhead season. Just checking in to say hi. Thanks for having me.
Welcome to our forum. We look forward to your contributions and participation. You'll find a wealth of resources and knowledge here from your fellow anglers.

Redbrook

Reaction score
Welcome Ryndunk! Smallmouth are one of my favorite fish to target. Lots of opportunities here in Michigan for them along with lots of other great species. As Denny eluded to Steelhead are a real mind blower but don't forget about trout options Up North.

ddb

Reaction score
Failing golf! I would view that as divine intervention salvation! Particularly if it launches you into steelheading in MI .That is as good as it gets w/o heading out into really exotic places.

Best of luck on your new adventures. From the far side of my baptism in that pursuit, I actually envy you.

Dennyk,, that hex nymph pattern but with subdued colors -- tan or dirty yellow dubbed body for example -- has been around for awhile but the estaz addition looks like a game changer!

There is a similar, smaller -- sizes 10 to 14 , "strip nymph" designed by Gary Borger that I tie with a slim fur strip tail; peacock hurl wing case; and dubbed body that has been my go-to trout nymph for decades.