New Member Hello

tacovan

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been lurking here for a few months and finally decided to sign up.
I've been fishing for around 30 years and got my first fly rod about 10 years ago... but until this year, I just never felt that confident in my skills to become a dedicated fly fisherman. I always loved to wade in small to medium sized creeks in the Catskills (my home turf) and along the way got pretty good at learning how to read water and find trout with spinning gear... but it was always hard for me to grapple with the fly rod when I already knew what I was doing with my ultralight spinning gear. Anyway, I had been working on my fly casting technique during lockdown and decided that this would be the year that I finally leave the mepp's and panther martins at home... and I've been having an absolute blast. I've already caught my PB brown trout back in May (22" on the East Brach Delaware) and have had some amazing days catching a dozen+ brook trout on dry flies. Thanks to everyone on this forum for the knowledge and inspiration! I still have a lot to learn but I feel like I've finally gotten over the hump.

Bonus recommendation- I recently discovered the writings of the late Art Lee. He has totally inspired me to slow the hell down, be more observant, and to pick my shots more wisely. If anybody is looking for some hard-earned wisdom: check out one of his classic books.
thanks again, tacovan

Nonno

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. There is definitely a wealth of knowledge and experience here.

Reactions: Ard

Meuniere

Reaction score
Glad you've signed on! Keep us posted on how things go for you - I'd love to fish some of those waters, but haven't been able to get to your neck of the woods yet. Tight lines!

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

From what you said in the intro you are a natural candidate for becoming a streamer fisherman.

Welcome to the forum and the world of posting

dennyk

Reaction score
Hi tacovan! Welcome to the world of fly fishing. That's some nice Brown trout you landed. Looking forward to your posts.

Welcome to the forum!

Denny

tacovan

Reaction score
Hi,

From what you said in the intro you are a natural candidate for becoming a streamer fisherman.

Welcome to the forum and the world of posting
Now that NY allows trout fishing year round I've been thinking of picking up a 7 or 8wt rod to fish streamers this winter. Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

okaloosa

Reaction score
welcome aboard.
East Branch is a great water. tell us more about that 22 inch brown.......
post a photo also if you have one.

tacovan

Reaction score
welcome aboard.
East Branch is a great water. tell us more about that 22 inch brown.......
post a photo also if you have one.
OK fine maybe it was more like a 20" brown ;) For me, it was the first time I targeted a specific rising trout and floated a dry fly over him without completely messing the whole thing up. Everything up until that point has felt like I was blindly chucking my line in the water with the vague hopes of maybe meeting a fish. The best thing that I've done for myself is to slow my casting stroke down- I'm having way more fun and catching way more fish.

IMG_6850.JPG

okaloosa

Reaction score
OK fine maybe it was more like a 20" brown ;) For me, it was the first time I targeted a specific rising trout and floated a dry fly over him without completely messing the whole thing up. Everything up until that point has felt like I was blindly chucking my line in the water with the vague hopes of maybe meeting a fish. The best thing that I've done for myself is to slow my casting stroke down- I'm having way more fun and catching way more fish.

View attachment 37793
beautiful brown! and remember, on this forum if the trout is caught on a dry you are permitted to add 2 inches. If caught on a streamer the size stays the same. If caught on a plastic bead subtract 2 inches. dem are the rules;)

COTater

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, this place is great. I am pretty new here as well. Great people, great info, great experience.

Just get you wallet ready as I am in the midst of purchasing more rods & reels...

tacovan

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, this place is great. I am pretty new here as well. Great people, great info, great experience.

Just get you wallet ready as I am in the midst of purchasing more rods & reels...
Thanks Tater! You're not wrong- I can see how this sport could get seriously expensive. One thing I decided is to focus on getting the best rods that I can afford and not getting too distracted into lusting after expensive reels. For most of my trout fishing, there's not too many situations where my trusty Medalist won't be sufficient.

WWKimba

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from a fellow NY'er. I'm about a stone's throw from the Great New York State Fairgrounds. I've been down to the Villa Roma Resort in your neck of the woods before in the past.

After lurking I probably don't have to tell you that this site is loaded with experienced, qulaity fishers as well as tyers. and just overall fine folks.

Hope to cross paths with you on the site and I wish you tight lines.

Kim

Last edited:

COTater

Reaction score
Thanks Tater! You're not wrong- I can see how this sport could get seriously expensive. One thing I decided is to focus on getting the best rods that I can afford and not getting too distracted into lusting after expensive reels. For most of my trout fishing, there's not too many situations where my trusty Medalist won't be sufficient.
As for reels - there are good and bad but never turn down a quality reel. In most cases it is more than a line holder.

tacovan

Reaction score
As for reels - there are good and bad but never turn down a quality reel. In most cases it is more than a line holder.
I totally agree. I have a Hardy Featherweight and a US made1494 Medalist with extra spools for both. I got both of these reels for under $200 (the Pflueger was $40) and they will last me a lifetime and perfectly suit the type of fishing that I do. I just don't need an $800 fancy reel at this point (nor is it my style- I just like old stuff).