charrell1971

Reaction score
Hello all. Found this forum last night while doing research. Getting back into fly-fishing after an almost 30 year hiatus. Got really into fly-fishing while stationed in Bremerton, Washington in the Navy and wanting to get back into it. Bought a cheap combo from Bass Pro, but ended up breaking the crappy rod. Headed to the Orvis store in The Woodlands this afternoon to pick up either a 5 or 6WT Clearwater rod and try and reignite my passion again. Probably be a huge relearning process, but I'm ready to catch a fish on a fly again. Can't wait to pick y'alls brains and learn some new skills. Thanks for reading this long winded introduction from Texas. Chris Harrell.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Reactions: spm

dennyk

Reaction score
Hi Chris and welcome to the forum! Brain pickin' is always well greeted. Glad you got back into fly fishing after a pause. The Clearwater is a good choice. If you are going to fish for bass I'd lean toward the 6 weight.

Thank you for your Navy service to our country!

Denny

Reactions: spm

charrell1971

Reaction score
Hi Chris and welcome to the forum! Brain pickin' is always well greeted. Glad you got back into fly fishing after a pause. The Clearwater is a good choice. If you are going to fish for bass I'd lean toward the 6 weight.

Thank you for your Navy service to our country!

Denny
Thank you sir! I went with the 6WT Clearwater and bought new line, Hydros Warm Water. Using the reel that came in the Bass Pro combo for now, it's not too shabby. It's an aluminum frame reel, but I'll probably upgrade soon. Picked up a few flies to get started. Grabbed 2 Wooly Boogers, couple streamers, some poppers in different sizes and a couple scud imitations. Those should keep me busy for a while.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

spm

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Chris. And thank you for your service to our country.

I agree with Denny, and I guess you did too, since you already bought the Clearwater rod. 9' 6wt will do just about anything you want. Better for bass, but you can still use it for trout. I used a Clearwater for years, until I broke it. Long story. My fault..

As already stated, don't be shy about asking questions. Plenty of knowledgeable people on here, willing to help.

steve

WWKimba

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I know you'll find many talented and experienced tyers/fishers, teachers and just good people on this site.

I hope we cross paths and tight lines my friend.

Kim