New memeber from the ABE area of PA.

new2flyfishing

Reaction score
Hello! Somehow I missed seeing the introduction forum. Blame it on being too interested in other sub forums. 😄

Live in a very poor area for bass fishing. Highly pressured. Hoping fly fishing will get me out more and that fishing won't be as highly pressured on nearby creeks. One can only hope. You know what they say about wishing on one hand and..........................

bocianka1

Reaction score
Hi,

What is the ABE area?
Wikipedia says "The Lehigh Valley, known officially by the United States Census Bureau and the United States Office of Management and Budget as the Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area." (ABE)

Don't feel bad Ard. It's not that far from me and I had to Google it myself. Of course I'm a transplant from Pittsburgh AND "geographically challenged" to boot, so I give myself a pass on not being familiar.

Anyhow, welcome to the forum. Always good to see more PA guys enhancing the experience here.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ard

WWKimba

Reaction score
I think I welcomed you before so I want to REALLY make you feel welcomed! I'm a born and bred central NYer and have been tying for 50 years and hosting swaps for the past 10+ years. I've been working (with Ard's help) to revive the swaps on this site. Offering them ~ every other month. Got one on the books now - the NBC Swap. Feel free to check it.

Kim

Oh, and welcome if I hadn't welcomed you before so you are STILL well welcomed! ;)

new2flyfishing

Reaction score
Thanks Kim. I looked at vises (and a few other tools), but haven't decided yet if I want to start tying flies. I'm about as unimaginative as they come. :( I have relation outside of the Elmira, NY area. You are quite a ways north of there.

WWKimba

Reaction score
I have some family that live about a 40 minute drive from the Rodale Test Farm/Gardens.

If you want to try out tying on the cheap I've got designs on a vice that costs ~$6 to make! I used this when I taught my Cub Scouts to tie - each made their own vise. They also made their own fly box, whip finish tool and bamboo fly rod - don't get TOO exited, it was a 6' cane pole!
Check out flyanglersonline.com and type "clothespin" in the search window. It's a design by a buddy of mine, Ed Engelman from Binghamton, NY.

If and when you do decide to start tying feel free to try out one of my swaps and just remind me that you are a new tyer - I give extra support to newer tyers in my swaps. BUT do remind me, tying for 50 years means one important thing -- I'M OLD, so remind me! ;)

Kim