New/novice fly swap and or Intermediate level fly swap for youth - any interest?

WWKimba

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Kim Bowman. I've been on this site for a little less than a year (COVID led me to getting my fly tying stuff out of storage) and I started looking for some new sites to participate in.

I come over from a site called Fly Anglers On-Line (flyanglersonline.com - it is still there but now only a forum site - and still an excellent reference site though). I hosted and participated in swaps as well as forum discussions and contributed a couple of articles as well. My screen name there was also WWKimba if you need to check on this (just type my name and/or handle under search).

At the same time I found this site I also joined the Fly Tying Forum (flytyingforum.com) and have also participated in and hosted swaps there as well - in fact I am currently in the middle of a 5 part swap designed for new/novice/intermediate tyers (look in the "Fly Swaps and Contests" section. I have also added my two cents worth on forum threads as well. BTW, if you wish to see an OLD picture of me during a demo for our local scout council look at the same "Swaps" section under the "Beginner/Intermediate Tyer Swap #3 - Wet Flies/Soft Hackles" on page two of that thread. (If any of you know scout uniforms you could tell this is an old picture because they don't use that style uniform any more!) Also, those kids have kids now I'm quite sure! Also, my handle is the same on this site as well - the "WW' is for warm water - I love panfish!

I have been tying for almost 50 years now and come from a skill teaching background - I was in charge of teaching First Aid and CPR programs for 20 years (10 as the professional at a larger Red Cross chapter). I have been a volunteer leader for the BSA at every level from the local (Cub Scout Leader) to the national (part of the National Camp School teaching faculty). I was also a volunteer for the first 7 years of a resident camp for kids with cancer in Vermont when it was one of only a handful of camps of it's type in the country (Camp TaKumTa, and yes it too has a site).

As you can see I'm a bit wordy at times (Oh let's just say it - I have a big mouth!). I wanted to give you my background so you (and your parents) would see who you are working with - I have heard that as far as swaps go there have been some problems in the past and I would like to help alleviate some fears or trepidations you may have.
I LOVE swaps! It's a great way to meet fellow tyers, get new patterns, try out new patterns (you normally have to tie 10-12 flies so you get practice!), and learn new tricks/tips/techniques. Also, when I run swaps for beginner tyers I 1) like to find out what pattern you will tie for the swap and send you feedback on what I've learned over the years so you know these things BEFORE you tie, 2) give feedback on your flies after I receive them to help identify where you did well and where (and suggest how) you could improve, and 3) include a small gift (I'm on a retirees budget!) of fly tying materials to add to your stock. This is what I did in the above mentioned Fly Tying Forum (FTF) swap series - in fact take a look at my original announcement on that site ("Beginners Corner", "Offering to host new flyer fly swaps" - August 21).

After all the above, back to the original question - would any of you like to participate in a swap similar to the one described? The themes could be types/styles of flies (like the FTF swaps, material swaps (like an all pheasant body feather swap, a famous tyers swap (like a Jack Gartside swap), etc...

Let me know.

Kim

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Kim,

I have no doubts regarding your passion for hosting fly swaps however with one currently being hosted by Keith which has gained only 5 participants this may not be a good time for a second swap.

bocianka1

Reaction score
I hope you get some traction. I'd like to see the swaps on here become more active. There are lots of great members on here and I'm sure we would all enjoy fishing each others flies. Hopefully there's some interest. If I can be of any help, let me know. Come January, i'll be ready to swap again

I had an idea for another future swap that might ease some people back into swapping. A Mixed Bag swap. Every tier donates 12 random flies. They could be duplicates of patterns they have too many of, extra flies they bought but never fish, or just random patterns they tie up for the swap. Everyone donates a random bunch and receives a random bunch in return. Could be an easy way get some of the tiers involved.

I'd also like to see a saltwater swap started at some point if we can get enough interest. I've seen some amazing merkin crabs and saltwater clousers that I'd be interested in swapping with the salty folk (and I never mind facilitating a swap if it helps).

Here's hoping you get some interest. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

WWKimba

Reaction score
Thanks for the support. I come from a couple of sites that ran/run multiple swaps at the same time year round - and especially in the colder, out of season months. Like I said, on the site I'm running a 5-month beginner/novice designed swap on (started in September->end of March) there have been from 3-5 other swaps going on at the same time through out, so far. I found the same on my original site I joined years ago (FAOL). I tend to find that a healthy site tends to have more and varied swaps. This IS the first site that I've seen that requires/asks that the swappers share their contact info to help combat "ghosts" from taking up spaces in the swap. I do like that. One suggestion that I bring from another site that may help out as well. They have a rule that swap hosts/swapmeisters must have participated in a minimum of three swaps prior to hosting a swap - this again helps to cut down on the hosts that get the flies and then fall off the planet. I've participated in swaps for 10+ years now and I'd LOVE to say that there has NEVER been a problem but I just hate to see my nose grow! What I can say though is that most of the "problems" did not seriously affect the swaps I've been associated with and that a majority of those problems were problems of life - NOT anything nefarious! I know I'm wordy but here is a recent example that has affected a swapmeister for a swap I am now in. He has a bit of a delay handling the swap because a pipe burst in his house and did some serious flooding! He's a well known swapmeister and long time well regarded member of the site. He contacted all of us and PROFUSLY apologized for putting the swap on the back burner! Needless to say we wrote back support and gave him the devil for his choice of priorities! Problem yes - seriously affect the swap - NO!

I'll now step off the soapbox to give a chance for any other opinions.

Kim

WWKimba

Reaction score
By the response I see I have my answer. I'll try again down the road after people get to know me better on this site.

Kim

WWKimba

Reaction score
I'm just west of Syracuse - just a stones throw from the Great New York State Fairgrounds! A fellow fly tyer and neighbor of mine - Mark Libertone - lived in Solvay (right where the fairgrounds are located. Since you are new here's a fairly simply pattern that he is famous for - the Genesee Jewel. Feel free to Google (I'm sure it has a few listings or get it straight from the horses mouth here Fly Anglers OnLine, Your Complete Internet Flyfishing Resource. Just type either "Genesee Jewel" or "Libertone" in the search section - it's the one in "Just Old Flies" (I believe this article was written a year or two before his death). BTW, that site is an excellent reference site and my original fly tying site.

Kim