New Reel With Drag

dbgoff

Reaction score
I am looking for a new reel for my spey rods--a 12"7" 7 wt., and a 13'6" 8 wt. Use will be primarily Olympic Peninsula and Western Alaska with Skagit heads between 475 and 600 grains. I'm considering the Sage Spey 7/8/9 and the Nautilus CCF-X2 10/12. The Galvan Rush Light 12 is on the list and I'm curious about the Orvis Battenkill Disk Spey V but wonder whether it is durable and reliable. Thoughts or recommendations from this group? Other recommendations?

I know many of you are going to recommend classic spring/pawl reels. I love bespoke traditional reels but I'm going in a different direction with this one. Don't hate me. And as much as I'd love a Sarcione I'm trying to get this done under $600.

huronfly

Reaction score
I have used the Battenkill V (clicker) for a few years now and it is a sweet bang for your buck. For durability and reliability, I would trust it more than my speyco and cascapedia, it really hasn't had a single issue. I bet the disk version is (almost) as good.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I bought a sage. 6/7/8 spey reel for my. 11` Sage and I really like it, works great with my 13` as well. I like the drag way more than I thought I would as its my first drag reel. It clicks with line going out and I like that, some disc drag reels don't do that and I don't like it. I was also considering the spectrum LT but I decided a full cage would be better for me.

My other reel is a speyco, which I like but its really heavy for modern rods.

duker

Reaction score
For something a bit different take a look at Islander reels--an LX 4.0 or 4.5 would work well on those rods. Islanders are made in Canada (Vancouver Island), and the LX series are draw-bar drag reels (basically a Canadian Tibor/Abel Super Series). I use an old FR3 (now replaced by the LX 4.0) on my 13' 8 weights, and can fit 150 yards of #30 dacron, coated running line, and a Rage head (plus polyleader). Very nice reels, very well made, and bombproof.

Scott

hhx

Reaction score
I would suggest looking at a used Bauer RX 6 or 7 ported or non ported spey version. Well made and a solid drag system. I’ve seen some used ones for under $500.