New Ross Colorado reel

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
Ross had burgeoned into one of our top-tier reel companies and stands behind everything they make , even some earlier ones made by the former ownership.
One thing I really like about Ross is how despite a change in ownership it has maintained its institutional memory--i.e., the CS department has people who are quite familiar with the older reels, presumably because they've worked on them for years. I think the Ross site is great in terms of the materials it has for older reels, but sometimes it's better/necessary to pick up the phone and it's nice to know that there's someone there with expertise. I'm a Hardy fan too (including stuff made during the Pure era), but it still blows my mind that when I called the CS line a couple of years ago with a question about a Bougle the rep has never even heard of it. "What's it called? How do you spell that?"

IdahoFlyGuy

Reaction score
Not to derail this thread but, would anyone recommend this reel over the Galvan Brookie for a 5wt? Super interested in getting a click/pawl and I’m torn between the two.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
WNC, You won't get John on the phone at customer service but Pure/Hardy employs a man who has been with Hardy since they were distributed in North America by Cortland. He knows more about Hardy reels both antiquated and contemporary than probably anyone on this side of the pond. He has obtained for me esoteric parts for long discontinued models from hidden stashes in Alnwick but still is unable to diagnose the drag system failure on my old and now paperweight status MLA 350. I miss that fine and unusual reel.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
Good to know. I think the Hardy brand has done quite well under Pure. I think it's great that they took manufacturing for many of the reels back to the UK--not necessarily an improvement in quality (the Korean ones I've handled were nice), but what the consumers wanted and apparently are willing to pay. So I applaud that. And my experience with the repair center though not extensive (a good thing!) was quite favorable, beyond what I expected. It used to be possible to speak to the repair center (in Iowa I believe) directly and a person or two who I spoke to there were helpful with questions I had, but last time I tried I could no longer find a direct number and the person who answered the Pure line at the "call center" said it wasn't possible to transfer my call. So no doubt Pure has many knowledgeable people behind the veil, I just found it astonishing that a person manning the general/sales line had never heard of a Bougle. Forget the history, it's still a current offering (at the time the Heritage). Perhaps it was the guy's first day on the job. Anyway, I think highly of both my vintage and current Hardy reels and recent rods.

bluto999

Reaction score
Hello all,
Am looking at a Colorado LT but don't like the color. Anyone know if the color can be changed (anodizing removed, powder coating applied, etc.) relatively easily?

Thanks, Craig

myster

Reaction score
All Ross Reels are covered by warranty. At least that's what their warranty page says.
Very sturdy imo.
For that rod go with the 4/5 to achieve better balance.
Thanks for the info! You just answered a few moer of my questions.

Ganderzone

Reaction score
I actually preferred the old one, new one has strange lines to me, I missed the close out on the old one

Swazicar

Reaction score
I actually preferred the old one, new one has strange lines to me, I missed the close out on the old one
I haven't looked extensively recently, but they can still be had from at least one retailer for $220. (The cheapest I saw anywhere was $147.50, but about $200 was more common, but that was a month or more ago.) Some shops still have them at full price, so potentially those will go down at some point.

Ganderzone

Reaction score
If I found that reel for under $200 I'd buy it on the spot, everything I found was still near full price.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
If I found that reel for under $200 I'd buy it on the spot, everything I found was still near full price.
What size are you looking for? Do you care about color?
A couple of shops in town carry Ross and I can check with them.
I always get great deals at both.

Swazicar

Reaction score
Open to 3/4 and 4/5 not too picky on color
Montrose Anglers shows (at least one) 3/4 platinum in stock for $200 (but no 4/5). (Keep in mind this is a small, very very light reel.)

(And, while I'm at it, for those who prefer their reels weigh 6+ ounces, they also show 4/5 and 7/8 Gunnisons available for $240.)

JGO

Reaction score
Montrose Anglers shows (at least one) 3/4 platinum in stock for $200 (but no 4/5). (Keep in mind this is a small, very very light reel.)
Great deal, but I am having trouble getting past the bright, reflective silver color in this offering. There is an extent to which some differences in gear color are purely an aesthetic appeal to the angler, but when I was getting started in fly fishing all the old timers would tell me to never buy a reel that would reflect so much sunlight back on the water (along with many other fashion tips for stalking trout). Or when it comes to reflective reel colors, is this just another fly fishing myth?

osseous

Reaction score
The new Colorado in pewter is a matte, soft finish- not polished and shiny. Brighter than black, of course, but not something to fear. Trout are more likely to feel you, before they see you.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Swazicar

Reaction score
Great deal, but I am having trouble getting past the bright, reflective silver color in this offering. There is an extent to which some differences in gear color are purely an aesthetic appeal to the angler, but when I was getting started in fly fishing all the old timers would tell me to never buy a reel that would reflect so much sunlight back on the water (along with many other fashion tips for stalking trout). Or when it comes to reflective reel colors, is this just another fly fishing myth?
Okay, how 'bout a 3/4 in matte black for $202.96? https://www.theflystop.com/fishings-best-brands/ross-reels-usa/colorado-lt

Reactions: JGO