New small stream tenkara rod released

Damo

Reaction score
Hi all,

There is a new tenkara rod about to be released, might be of interest to those of us who fish tight, small streams.

It´s a 6ft/ 7.5ft/ 9ft zoom.

Facebook

It´s from Wasatch tenkara, a newish company who´ve already got decent reviews for their first ( big fish) rod.

Not sure about the flashy colour scheme, probably a ´love it or hate it` thing.

I have no idea what the rod is like but I think it´s great that new firms are making an effort with new tenkara products. With the Dragontail Foxfire releasing soon it looks like we´ll be spoilt for choice.

Cheers,

Damian F

txwildcat

Reaction score
i like the length stats. not crazy about the color scheme and $165 for what's probably a Chinese made rod.

Damo

Reaction score
Hi all,
Reviews are starting to come in now for the Wasatch and Dragontail rods.
It appears that the Wasatch is a strong/firm rod that is meant for taking abuse and fighting bigger fish. It sounds like it needs a heavyish line to cast it properly.
The Dragontail is much softer ( it´s mostly fibreglass) and will cast lighter lines easily. This rod is on Kickstarter at the moment at a big discount.
It seems that although the length/ zoom specs for both rods are similar they are designed for different scenarios.
It´s looking dangerous for my wallet, I can see scenarios when both rods would be useful for me...
Cheers,
Damian F

patrick62

Reaction score
I took advantage of the Dragontail Kickstarter as well.

I first bought the Mizuchi zoom with some trepidation. My general feeling is that rods that purport to be many things are often not very good at any of them.

But the Mizuchi worked as advertised. I liked it enough to take a shot at the bigger triple zoom Mutant. That has worked out well too.

I should also mention that when I clumsily broke the tip on the Mutant, they had a replacement in my hands in three days.

AngryFetus

Reaction score
I also have the Mizuchi and it is an awesome rod at all three lengths. I usually carry that and the Tiny Ten for the thin blue lines around here.

blueeyedson

Reaction score
Years ago I picked up a smaller tenkara rod, around 6-7 feet as I recall, for fishing small and overgrown streams. I never got around to using it, though. I always felt that with a rod that small and fixed length of line, I'd have a hard time getting close enough to be within casting range and not spooking fish. How do you avoid spooking fish with a short rod? Super stealthy wading? Hiding behind cover?

txwildcat

Reaction score
i hide behind objects when possible. sometimes you just spook fish. ive found that if i stand still for a few minutes they settle down. then i can catch one or two before the others figure out something aint right and run off.

patrick62

Reaction score
I got an email saying my Dragontail glass rod is en route. Kinda excited, even though we're getting pummeled by rain and everything will probably be blown out when it arrives.

dpnoll48

Reaction score
I got an email saying my Dragontail glass rod is en route. Kinda excited, even though we're getting pummeled by rain and everything will probably be blown out when it arrives.
Mine showed up this afternoon. It looks really nice. I'll try to set it up with a 9' 3.0 level line tomorrow.

patrick62

Reaction score
My Dragontail mostly glass rod arrived this morning. It's windy and nasty and I'm theoretically working so I confined myself 10 minutes of fiddling on the lawn with a 9-10 foot length of #3.5, which felt just fine. I will deploy it in the next few days and report back.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
Dragontail does some very interesting rods in an American sort of way, so Kudos to them. I have a Mizuchi and it works as advertised but is a bit heavy handed for my native fishing.
I have now received the Foxfire in Blue, it is indeed quite soft and will, or should be perfect for fishing natives in our mountains here. Too bad it's so late in the year, I'll probably have to wait until spring of 22 to give it a good workout though.

txwildcat

Reaction score
i received mine last week. rigged it up with #3FCLL. took a few minutes to get the hang of it but before long it was casting nicely. caught a dozen or so green sunfish. it seemed to be most balanced at the short and middle length. i like it alot.

this fish really put some bend in the rod ;)

48315224-3680-470F-96D0-54D54C8183EE.jpeg

danmarino

Reaction score
The Mizuchi is all I own and all I use. I would like to be able to more easily cast weighted or heavier flies, but I'm not interested in a rod that would be any heavier than the Mizuchi. The lighter the tenkara rod, the better. So if I ever get another Dragontail rod, it will be something lighter weight.

SantaFe-an

Reaction score
I own 2 Tenkara Fly Rods: Dragontail Shadowfire 365 and a Sato 12.9"(adjustable from 10'8"/ 11'10"/ 12'9"). So far have caught plenty of Trout and appreciate the versatility, packability of these rod techniques. Especially the Sato that can be adjusted in length for thick brush, narrow streams, creeks and overhang...!

One needs to be aware that if your line somehow gets tangled impossible on scrubs, brushes or underwater rocks: do not force to undo the line using the rods but collapse the rod and pull on the line with your hand after the tip.

Cheers...