New to saltwater fly casting

gooner

Reaction score
Hello! i intend to start saltwater fly fishing for bass, bluefish mainly for blind distance casting the surf! Should i use a true to weight WF line or an intergraded shooting taper line to start learing how to casts mainly for the double haul?

sevenweight

Reaction score
The short answer is “yes” and “yes” ... you should at least try both. Something like one of the Scientific Anglers Amplitude lines of a type appropriate for your water temps for starters for an integrated line. That’s actually a heavier-than-standard line, fairly punchy, which will give you a good measure of where your casting is relative to your fishing opportunities. Then research pure shooting head lines (there are integrated shooters available as well as separate heads/running lines). See where that gets you. You may find one or the other works best for certain waters, flies, weather, tides, seasons, etc. In sum, you owe it to yourself to try both. You will be double hauling your butt off with either type!

osseous

Reaction score
Amplitude is a pretty conventional fly line- not an integrated shooting head. That's the Sonar Titan.

The cast required to effectively use an integrated head essentially requires that you know how to haul- forward and back cast. It also helps a lot to shoot line on the final back cast (after the haul), catch that back cast with your line hand- and deliver a high, hauled forward cast- with a "directing thumb" to form an arrow shaped loop. Got that?!? LOL. It's a pretty advanced cast- and one that can actually hurt you if you mess it up. A 6/0 bunker, mackerel or pollock fly- going over 100 mph is not something you want colliding with the back of your head- DAMHIK.

My point is this- start with a full intermediate line. Work on using that with a stripping basket in the surf. Add a single haul on the forward cast as you grow more comfortable. Then learn how to haul and eventually shoot line on your back cast as well. At this point- start playing with the built sinking shooting head line.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

gooner

Reaction score
Amplitude is a pretty conventional fly line- not an integrated shooting head. That's the Sonar Titan.

The cast required to effectively use an integrated head essentially requires that you know how to haul- forward and back cast. It also helps a lot to shoot line on the final back cast (after the haul), catch that back cast with your line hand- and deliver a high, hauled forward cast- with a "directing thumb" to form an arrow shaped loop. Got that?!? LOL. It's a pretty advanced cast- and one that can actually hurt you if you mess it up. A 6/0 bunker, mackerel or pollock fly- going over 100 mph is not something you want colliding with the back of your head- DAMHIK.

My point is this- start with a full intermediate line. Work on using that with a stripping basket in the surf. Add a single haul on the forward cast as you grow more comfortable. Then learn how to haul and eventually shoot line on your back cast as well. At this point- start playing with the built sinking shooting head line.

IT is harder to double haul with a shooting head than with a WF line? The timing is faster due to the shorter head?

Rip Tide

Reaction score
First of all, being able to cast distance is always best. You can cover more area and once in a great while, that blitz you see in the distance is actually within your range.
But surf fly fishing is more about covering structure and current and less about casting all the way to France and then stripping it back.

I can't tell you how many time someone has said to me, "the fish followed my fly all the way in but didn't bite until I was just about to pick up"
That's not what happened at all.
That fish was right up against the beach, in the wash the whole time, patrolling the trough looking for stunned bait.

As Lou Tabory said in his book Inshore Fly Fishing "When the wind is in your face, the fish are at your feet"
Just like with trout or smallmouth, learning to read the water is at least as important as being able to cast.

As to your question, I usually fish a $10 factory second WF floating line.

cape june 2009 037.JPG

gooner

Reaction score
First of all, being able to cast distance is always best. You can cover more area and once in a great while, that blitz you see in the distance is actually within your range.
But surf fly fishing is more about covering structure and current and less about casting all the way to France and then stripping it back.

I can't tell you how many time someone has said to me, "the fish followed my fly all the way in but didn't bite until I was just about to pick up"
That's not what happened at all.
That fish was right up against the beach, in the wash the whole time, patrolling the trough looking for stunned bait.

As Lou Tabory said in his book Inshore Fly Fishing "When the wind is in your face, the fish are at your feet"
Just like with trout or smallmouth, learning to read the water is at least as important as being able to cast.

As to your question, I usually fish a $10 factory second WF floating line.

View attachment 23450
Hello riptide! Yes you are right we overestimate the distance factor a lot at bass fishing and most of the time this is not the case...i have never hooked a bass over 70feet cast. NEVER!But like convetional gear fly its a confidence type of fishing! You want to maximize your chances to get the fish and get the maximum best from yur gear!

osseous

Reaction score
IT is harder to double haul with a shooting head than with a WF line? The timing is faster due to the shorter head?
The lines you are referring to are demanding of a solid double haul- because the head is so heavy, there is more of a hinge than you'd feel with a floater or intermediate. Get it wrong and you will know it- possibly feel it. Not the line to learn on for sure. Once you get it dialed, they're fantastic. Roll pick-up, haul and shoot on the back cast. Delivery cast with a haul...100' cast.

gooner

Reaction score
The lines you are referring to are demanding of a solid double haul- because the head is so heavy, there is more of a hinge than you'd feel with a floater or intermediate. Get it wrong and you will know it- possibly feel it. Not the line to learn on for sure. Once you get it dialed, they're fantastic. Roll pick-up, haul and shoot on the back cast. Delivery cast with a haul...100' cast.

So you think its better to start with a normal WF line and when my double haul is solid go to shooting tapers?

osseous

Reaction score
Read my first post- Most people who come to me to learn the double haul are not ready. They do not have a fundamentally sound cast, or an understanding of what it takes to make a good straight line cast. Adding a haul doesn't do much but cover up mistakes. Or magnify them.

People make the move to saltwater and everyone says, "learn to double haul". Not the best advice if you aren't already very confident with your cast. Learn to deeply load your rod and turn over your flies- every time, with control. THEN learn to haul.

LOC

Reaction score
Hello! i intend to start saltwater fly fishing for bass, bluefish mainly for blind distance casting the surf! Should i use a true to weight WF line or an intergraded shooting taper line to start learing how to casts mainly for the double haul?
To start learning with? To get started go to the park and use whatever line you are comfortable with. If you learn on a WF line or a DT it's not like you can't adapt to a shooting head line later. There are some differences when hauling with a shooting head but you'll make the adjustments. I think the most important thing is you get started. Folks learn in many ways some like small measured steps, others are fine jumping in with both feet. I like to say when I see anyalysis paralysis in the fly world, "Hey folks we are not teaching hang gliding or race car driving over here" lol. Throw some yarn on a leader, read or watch some vids and see how you do. You might be a great self starter, then again it maybe the most frustrating experience with a fly rod in your hand. That's ok too you can change your direction and go the lessons route... Ok have fun!

sevenweight

Reaction score
Amplitude is a pretty conventional fly line- not an integrated shooting head. That's the Sonar Titan....
Sorry, I wasn’t clear. I wasn’t suggesting that Amplitude is a shooting head. I was suggesting that the OP experiment with both a more conventional salt water line (like Amplitude) and a shooting head. By “integrated line” I meant a conventional line (which is by its nature integrated), not an integrated shooting head.

Last edited: