New to Tenkara, Oh man, what fun!

caddis75

Reaction score
IMG_1217.jpgHey all,
I've been planning some backcountry trips and didn't want to lug all my flyfishing gear along. I spoke to Chris, at TenkaraBum and after some emails, I decided on the Nissin Air Stage Fujiryu Tenkara 410, 6:4 with Yamatoyo Tenkara Line Size 3.5. OMG, that was so much fun. I went up to Central Pa and fished a small, to be unnamed, spring creek. It handled everything from tiny brook trout to a really nice Brownie. It's designed more for bigger water but was loads of fun on that little creek. I can see this road taking over part of my quiver. Also, Chris was great, I would highly recommend his business. Also, my hands were wet in this pic. I rarely take pictures of fish, but he was out of the water for maybe 5 seconds. I was just kinda excited.

johan851

Reaction score
Nice! That looks like a blast. I settled on a Nissin Fine Mode 270 for my ultralight backpacking rod. I tried and sold some other tenkara rods and have mostly gone back to setups with reels for the added versatility, but for small creeks and the simplest, lightest setup possible, you can't beat tenkara. I had mine out the other day catching little rainbows on a nearby headwater and it reminded me of how much fun these are.

caddis75

Reaction score
Be careful, it can be addictive.
Yeah, guess who was looking at another rod today. I was just surprised by the simplicity and function of it. It is almost a 14ft rod, but it cast with growth right above mush easier than I expected. It was super easy to manage drift and nothing spooked the fish when the fly/ line landed on the water. I bought it for high mountain lakes out west, but man, it was super functional.

2bornot2b

Reaction score
Tenkara is great for those of use with limited mobility and eye sight. I can easily cast a western rod far past my ability to see my fly. Besides it’s GREAT fun fighting even a modest size fish. And yes it is addictive.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I have taken to mostly using my tenkara rod for pond fishing in a kayak, as it is easier to deal with and long casts aren't required. Also I can cast the tenkara rod equally well with either hand, which I can't do with a regular fly rod (admittedly that might be just a case of insufficient practice).

By the way, in the pond I fish the most, I am trying to catch bass, and have considered the bluegills to be pests (there must be millions of them in there). So I use the biggest flies my rod can handle, but still catch some bluegills. Interestingly, as I think others have mentioned, pound for pound the bluegills may fight harder than the bass. If they grew to 10 lb, they would be formidable sportfish.

RockNRiffle57

Reaction score
Nice pics and report!

I've been similarly becoming addicted to tenkara fishing in small streams and have been actively trying out new rods. I love the feeling of any sized fish on a properly matched rod! My Kurenai Hm30R is so fun to use up in the headwaters and small streams looking for brookies.

And Chris is the best! I'm waiting for my Nissin Zerosum 6:4 360 to arrive so I can put it to good use!

caddis75

Reaction score
Nice pics and report!

I've been similarly becoming addicted to tenkara fishing in small streams and have been actively trying out new rods. I love the feeling of any sized fish on a properly matched rod! My Kurenai Hm30R is so fun to use up in the headwaters and small streams looking for brookies.

And Chris is the best! I'm waiting for my Nissin Zerosum 6:4 360 to arrive so I can put it to good use!
Yes he is. The Kurenai is my next rod. Can't wait.