New Zealand trip?

South Fly Fishing

Reaction score
I’m planning four week on the SI for 2024, not too interested in helos as I’m in good shape so happy to hike and camp my way up to headwaters and it’s the adventure rather than just getting there for me, although the frustration of getting jumped by a helicopter half way through a 10hr hike is said to be horrendous!
That's planning ahead! You'll have a ball. Make sure to pack a registered EPIRB just in case. Be firm and polite if you meet some Heli-anglers. Better to cut a deal and everyone stay slightly less happy than ruining your day completely. Kiwi anglers are generally pretty chill peeps.

We'll have a lot more pressure on the sensitive backcountry areas in 2024 so the search for clean water is important. The helicopter guys will tell you if anyone is in and fishing if you call them. They want the best for everyone too.

sean freeman

Reaction score
That's planning ahead! You'll have a ball. Make sure to pack a registered EPIRB just in case. Be firm and polite if you meet some Heli-anglers. Better to cut a deal and everyone stay slightly less happy than ruining your day completely. Kiwi anglers are generally pretty chill peeps.

We'll have a lot more pressure on the sensitive backcountry areas in 2024 so the search for clean water is important. The helicopter guys will tell you if anyone is in and fishing if you call them. They want the best for everyone too.
Are you expecting an influx after Covid? The only reason I’ve set it for 2024 is the fact my Iceland trip is being pushed back for the second year on the trot so I’d rather be on the safe side.

I’m a big fan of solitude when fishing so I’ll be seeking out the lesser known streams and a few that my buddy recommended. Local knowledge goes a long way in finding the hidden gems. Obviously a helicopter makes these places more accessible but they can’t be everywhere! 😂

South Fly Fishing

Reaction score
Are you expecting an influx after Covid?
It will definitely be busy once the international flights open up. There's a plethora of backed up interest and many regulars holidayers have been forced to save their travel money.

But no-one has any idea when that will be. The Trans-tasman bubble (NZ/Australia) sounds like it could be delayed until towards the end of this year so they might not be able to fish the first few months of the '21/'22 season from 1 October onwards.

Long haul could be 2023 at the earliest. Here's a fascinating but depressing read: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ase-vaccines-won-t-bring-back-overseas-travel

boisker

Reaction score
I toyed with taking a punt and booking flights for Feb/March next year... but decided it was too high risk at the moment, I ain’t flying to the other side of the world to be told on arrival “go sit in that hotel room for 10 days”....
i imagine by September things may start to open up a bit in many countries, but at that point it could also depend on NZ vaccinating it’s own population.... UK- everyone who can be should have been vaccinated by late summer, depending on how soon top ups for covid gene mutations are needed, but last I checked NZ isn’t even likely to start until late spring, and may not have finished by autumn.
one thing for sure, even in NZ pressure to open will mount, tourism is just too significant... 8% of the work force and 5% GDP (by some reckonings another 4% in support industries)... that’s a major impact to cover for too long...

South Fly Fishing

Reaction score
I toyed with taking a punt and booking flights for Feb/March next year... but decided it was too high risk at the moment, I ain’t flying to the other side of the world to be told on arrival “go sit in that hotel room for 10 days”....
i imagine by September things may start to open up a bit in many countries, but at that point it could also depend on NZ vaccinating its own population.... UK- everyone who can be should have been vaccinated by late summer, depending on how soon top ups for covid gene mutations are needed, but last I checked NZ isn’t even likely to start until late spring, and may not have finished by autumn.
one thing for sure, even in NZ pressure to open will mount, tourism is just too significant... 8% of the work force and 5% GDP (by some reckonings another 4% in support industries)... that’s a major impact to cover for too long...
Good call holding off. Definitely too early.

Our front line workers are getting vaccinated starting this weekend. That GDP figure of 5.8% does include domestic tourism so the industry is not completely shot, just close to it. Our largest international tourism market is Australia so having the Trans Tasman bubble will alleviate some pressure on tourism, but you're again right - it's too little, too late for many operators and guides.

Unfortunately the whole long distance travel thing is a lot more complicated than just having our people and your people vaccinated apparently. Above my pay grade as to why though. Which is why it's not likely to happen until 2022/23. Not good news but better for us here to plan for that and be pleasantly surprised if it opens up earlier. In any case, I'll buy you a local wine when you arrive 😉

jpielock1992

Reaction score
It saves the fisheries a bit though. Relieves the over fishing that must be occurring as it is everywhere! A bit draconian but ,hey.I hope catch and release is the norm down there.2022 here I come! Wishin to be fishin. Chet

jpielock1992

Reaction score
Good call holding off. Definitely too early.

Our front line workers are getting vaccinated starting this weekend. That GDP figure of 5.8% does include domestic tourism so the industry is not completely shot, just close to it. Our largest international tourism market is Australia so having the Trans Tasman bubble will alleviate some pressure on tourism, but you're again right - it's too little, too late for many operators and guides.

Unfortunately the whole long distance travel thing is a lot more complicated than just having our people and your people vaccinated apparently. Above my pay grade as to why though. Which is why it's not likely to happen until 2022/23. Not good news but better for us here to plan for that and be pleasantly surprised if it opens up earlier. In any case, I'll buy you a local wine when you arrive 😉
Love those Sauvagnon Blancs! Bet there are many really good ones we can't get up here on top of the world! Cheers,Chet

South Fly Fishing

Reaction score
It saves the fisheries a bit though ... I hope catch and release is the norm down there ..
Definitely Chet. No worries there. We're taking them for walks and making sure they grow strong, just for our Northern Hemisphere friends 😀

Love those Sauvignon Blancs! Bet there are many really good ones we can't get up here on top of the world!
So many. We ship as much of the mass production wine as we can out of the country to make room on the shelves for the decent stuff!

Last edited:

South Fly Fishing

Reaction score
... even in NZ pressure to open will mount, tourism is just too significant... 8% of the work force and 5% GDP (by some reckonings another 4% in support industries)...
Boisker, I just read this morning that the impact over last winter was only 2% of GDP due to locals staying in NZ and holidaying. Overall impact for 2020 was -0.9% drop in GDP. Our economy is booming at present. Tech sector (with supporting impact) is 16% of GDP, bigger than Tourism (10.5% or so) on same measure. Dairy is growing again. We're forecast to be 0.7% of GDP below forecast for this March quarter. So it appears the impact of international tourism loss has been largely negated. Fascinating. I thought this update might provide some more perspective on the local situation down here for you.

boisker

Reaction score
Boisker, I just read this morning that the impact over last winter was only 2% of GDP due to locals staying in NZ and holidaying. Overall impact for 2020 was -0.9% drop in GDP. Our economy is booming at present. Tech sector (with supporting impact) is 16% of GDP, bigger than Tourism (10.5% or so) on same measure. Dairy is growing again. We're forecast to be 0.7% of GDP below forecast for this March quarter. So it appears the impact of international tourism loss has been largely negated. Fascinating. I thought this update might provide some more perspective on the local situation down here for you.
interesting, and really positive for the future... I don’t see with climate change longhaul remaining as cheap an option in the future...
although not sure I’d be happy to hear that dairy is growing, as with the U.K. (and everywhere) dairy has a real negative impact on the environment, significant land use and freshwater effects and hard to positively link with resource protection... I’d hate to see NZ slowly follow the U.K. in knackering it’s environment

South Fly Fishing

Reaction score
interesting, and really positive for the future... I don’t see with climate change longhaul remaining as cheap an option in the future...
although not sure I’d be happy to hear that dairy is growing, as with the U.K. (and everywhere) dairy has a real negative impact on the environment, significant land use and freshwater effects and hard to positively link with resource protection... I’d hate to see NZ slowly follow the U.K. in knackering it’s environment
Oh, it's too late for that ... and don't get me started 🤬. We've destroyed so many lowland streams and major 'front country' waterways within the last 15-20 years. Still plenty of great water and large wild trout further into the hills & our many forest parks.

New hard-hitting freshwater reforms are finally underway. Given the level of farmer protests (I'm involved in farming so not immune), it's clear they will be far-reaching if the regulations remain undiluted. Nitrates and irrigation are the two closely-coupled issues that we are only just starting to grapple with here. The mainstream media is just starting to pick up on the gravity & scale of nitrate-related cancer and that it can't be filtered out so something has to give. Our lamb meat industry is worth more and more profitable on a third of the previous sheep population and I'm sure the same efficiencies are being applied to dairy, so hopefully dairy cow numbers will progressively decline. In Canterbury, there are now 1.2M, up from 120,000 only 15 years ago! It has to stop.

Yes, air fares will surely climb as the airlines seek to recover billions of lost revenue due to Covid.

NZ is re-positioning itself as a premium destination. Our tourism minister is quoted as saying a firm No to freedom campers and laws are being drafted to end that practice. No so good for anglers who don't want to stay in hotels or huts. The age-old tradition of sleeping in an old van or station wagon and ditching it at the airport on departure have now passed and the fines are brutal. So the cost of hiring expensive camper vans to stay remotely, on top of the expected hiked up travel, accommodation and hospitality costs, will definitely reshape the profile of our international visitors. Good for NZ on balance.

South Fly Fishing

Reaction score
I may have to move down there?What language do you guys speak?LOL You do have earthquakes though,right?wishin to be fishin,Chet
It's actually quite terrible down here. It's really dark and cold when it's day time and summer up there. It's a long way to anywhere. We have lots of natural disasters like floods, storms and earthquakes. At least one really big shake (and after quakes) every few decades. Terrible down here .... sorry, got to dash off for the evening rise.

jpielock1992

Reaction score
The farther away from the main roads ,the better.All I need is a good tent,mattress and sleeping bag!None of that a camper crap.A shower at the end of the week is perfect.I actually love earthquakes just as long as I'm not in the city. Do the fish get more active just before a quake? 2022 is looking better and better. wishin to be fishin.Chet