New Zealand trip?

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My one trip to nz was to the north island only...i based out of rotarua and fished the taupo area. This is when I happened into a fellow named Louie the fish. What a character.

We fished the more popular stops, anephenewah, rangataikI and other lake taupo tribs.

by far the best location I fished was a river located off the more popular path. When arriving to this drainage we were on a small dirt road that led to rivers edge and it was one of the most beautiful riverside locations you could dream of. While we were discussing where to stay a kind fellow named Ron Dredge approached and began to tell us of how he had proposed to his now wife Neola at this very location on the rivers edge. He was a very gentled mannered soul and after talking for a while he said he is the manager of these lands of the ranch we were on. He kindly invited us to stay there for a night.

We set camp and hit the hay and when we arose we started our trek up the river canyon. It was late for dries and the moss was to brutal for nymphs so we were forced into my favorite type of fishing. Bam, game on. We had planned a day in this drainage and ended up staying 4. To this day it was the best fishing I have experienced in my life.

The people in this area were supremely kind and generous. Lemonade, snacks and meals were always offered to us strangers, the word No seemingly wasn’t in their vocabulary, except when we wanted to help or give monetarily. We offered our help to several and they consistently and insistently said no thank you, please just enjoy yourselves while you’re here.

This was in 1992. Life has delivered many curve balls and I have never been able to make it back but thankfully these memories of the best ever fishing trip are burnt into my banks.

Cheers to the many mates we made, although our paths will never cross again I consider them to be close friends. On a funny note I am still connected to Louie and fondly wear a carved permit on a necklace for my more special occasions.

South Fly Fishing

Reaction score
Been watching this guy on you tube "trippin on trout" AMAZING I thought the 22 " brown I caught this fall was ginormous LOL wishin to be fishin, Chet
Was just thinking ... if you pm me your favourite YT link (one of the South Island Diaries episodes, I presume) before you come over, I can take you to the actual pool and you can have a crack at the actual fish assuming it's still there. How about that for a kind kiwi offer?!

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Louie the Fish is a legendary fly fishing character from Hawaii and a respected traditional bone carving maestro...
Is this the same guy?
This is the one! I have wanted to go to Hawaii to fish with him or his son but have not been able to swing it. He was equally as legendary or more so in the Taupo area. The story of how and when I met him is a dandy.

South Fly Fishing

Reaction score
Now that winter is arriving in NZ ,how's the fishin? Chet
There's a few South Island upland streams that are still open through May. The fish are starting to congregate as we get more frequent wet weather. Many of the rivers are still very low though, particularly in the northern part of the South Island. The Central North Island wintery fishery is already hot and some very good fish are being caught. It's a nice time to be in the Turangi/Taupo area after a fresh comes through.