Nine foot- 5 weight graphite rod- Get Bent Fly Shop

ed from bama

Reaction score
Good afternoon to all-
First, let me state that I am in no way aligned with the company I'm writing about. I have ordered and paid for a number of their blanks and guides and other rod-making materials. I obtained one of their ready-made graphite rods and tried it out.
Frankly, I didn't expect much. My experience with rods made who knows where is not positive.
Let me tell you about this rod. It's a 9 foot four piece IM-8 graphite rod. The fit and finish is actually quite good. the ferrules are wrapped and all wraps are sealed and seals are smooth. handle is good cork and reel seat tightens down solidly.
So how does it cast? I was very pleased with the moderate action of this rod when I took it to the local bass pond yesterday. I loaded the reel with a generic 6 weight floating line, and this rod threw the popping bug well. Measured against my usual standard- about 70 feet for a cast, this rod put the bug out there a bit farther.
The rod feels good in hand, and it balances well. And I caught some fish.
So, what's the big deal? there are lots of over the counter 9 foot rods that do this.
How about the price- $49.95.
I can't buy the blank and materials to put a similar rod together for that- not even close.
Is this rod one I'd say is my first choice gamer? No, probably not, but then again, I might pick it up first. It works well, it looks nice, and if I shut a car door on it, I won't cry- much.
The selling company is a small operation out of St. Louis- Get Bent Fly Shop 503-312-5597 getbentflyshop.com

Chris and Tommy have quick turn-around on orders, and their rod-making materials are good. They have a pretty far-ranging catalog of blanks and other fly-rod related stuff. if you get a chance, go online and look at their stuff- I've been very pleased with the quality.

good day to all- Ed

patrick62

Reaction score
I just bought one. I have over 50 rods...but I don't have a 9 foot 5 weight. I used to have a TFO but I swapped it for something, can't even remember what now. So we'll see.

Reaction score
I just bought one. I have over 50 rods...but I don't have a 9 foot 5 weight. I used to have a TFO but I swapped it for something, can't even remember what now. So we'll see.
Wait, what, you have 50 fly rods or 49 spinning rods and one fly rod?

Reaction score
50 fly rods, plus a dozen Tenkara. I have a couple of spinning rods and reels but I don't know how to make them work.
Gotcha don't skip on the spin.... you should learn how to cast everything so you are more well rounded it will make you a better angler overall. : }

prmike307

Reaction score
Good afternoon to all-
First, let me state that I am in no way aligned with the company I'm writing about. I have ordered and paid for a number of their blanks and guides and other rod-making materials. I obtained one of their ready-made graphite rods and tried it out.
Frankly, I didn't expect much. My experience with rods made who knows where is not positive.
Let me tell you about this rod. It's a 9 foot four piece IM-8 graphite rod. The fit and finish is actually quite good. the ferrules are wrapped and all wraps are sealed and seals are smooth. handle is good cork and reel seat tightens down solidly.
So how does it cast? I was very pleased with the moderate action of this rod when I took it to the local bass pond yesterday. I loaded the reel with a generic 6 weight floating line, and this rod threw the popping bug well. Measured against my usual standard- about 70 feet for a cast, this rod put the bug out there a bit farther.
The rod feels good in hand, and it balances well. And I caught some fish.
So, what's the big deal? there are lots of over the counter 9 foot rods that do this.
How about the price- $49.95.
I can't buy the blank and materials to put a similar rod together for that- not even close.
Is this rod one I'd say is my first choice gamer? No, probably not, but then again, I might pick it up first. It works well, it looks nice, and if I shut a car door on it, I won't cry- much.
The selling company is a small operation out of St. Louis- Get Bent Fly Shop 503-312-5597 getbentflyshop.com

Chris and Tommy have quick turn-around on orders, and their rod-making materials are good. They have a pretty far-ranging catalog of blanks and other fly-rod related stuff. if you get a chance, go online and look at their stuff- I've been very pleased with the quality.

good day to all- Ed
Isn't a 503 area code from Portland, OR?

patrick62

Reaction score
Gotcha don't skip on the spin.... you should learn how to cast everything so you are more well rounded it will make you a better angler overall. : }
I've tried but...I flip the thing and the line falls off and then it all gets tangled and blah blah blah. I don't know why anybody thinks it's easier; I find it almost impossible.