NJ fall trout season

frickerdog

Reaction score
So, being that I am recently back in the game, this will be my first fall trout season here in NJ. The Fish and Wildlife Division plans on stocking 27,000 2-year-old rainbows into various rivers, streams and lakes between October 6 and 17. While I would prefer to catch what is already in the water, I'm hoping for some nice cool weather to take a few days off from work. Has anyone here been through the NJ fall trout season? I'm wondering how crowded the rivers will get and what flies might be successful.

Oddly, in looking at the stocking schedule, one of the main rivers that I fish is not being stocked.

jaywar

Reaction score
Yea they mainly stock the high traffic rivers . If stocked trout are your thing , Ken Lockwood Gorge & Peaquest near the hatchery

frickerdog

Reaction score
OK, now that the fall "season" is past, I am itching for one last day on the water before Thanksgiving. Friday looks to be a beautiful day, and I am in "use-it-or-lose-it" vacation mode at work. I am considering a run over to Ken Lockwood Gorge since there are native fish there. Any other suggestions for a New Jersey location at this time of year?