NOAA warns of possible massive Salmon die off in California this summer

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. Really sucks. My little backyard tailwater is going through the same thing. Half the fish of last year if that. Hopefully the cycle will break in the west.

Meuniere

Reaction score
If we haven't done so already (how long ago?) we're entering heartbreak territory for these amazing fish and those rivers. I'm genuinely scared that the fisheries in some rivers will pretty much completely disappear, and that will continue until salmon are so rare that they will be pretty much gone in the lower 48. Within another generation. Slightly higher water temperature in some major rivers and the trout will head that way as well.

It seems so imperative, from the perspectives presented in this forum, that everyone wants the heritage of fly-fishing to continue for ever and ever (for all species, but I'm thinking of trouts and salmon here), but I think we all know we're way past the edge of rapidly diminishing habitat and conditions for these fish and the watersheds and the country/landscape they're in that means so much. TU helps a lot to keep attention focused and promote habitat restoration, as do various other groups large and small, but there's got to be some way of organizing (this is the idealist in me) such that we can together maybe make a bit more noise, rattle some cages? Any ideas, new old or otherwise?

Bigfly

Reaction score
Fewer humans bottom line.
Covid wasn't enough.
I think Salmon are more valuable....to the planet.
How else do you get the carbon back up the rivers?
For creatures from bugs to bears. We may lose this natural cycle....
But to most people...they are just food or a fun time fishin...
No hope for humans.

Jim

Last edited:

fatbillybob

Reaction score
TU helps a lot to keep attention focused and promote habitat restoration, as do various other groups large and small, but there's got to be some way of organizing (this is the idealist in me) such that we can together maybe make a bit more noise, rattle some cages? Any ideas, new old or otherwise?
Hate to say it but it is politics. It is the direction the Country is going lead by states like Cali. Think about the ramifications of Cali State law allowing ADU's to be built over local zoning and HOA's to ease a housing crisis. Our politicians only play checkers but the game is chess. Bottom line is too many people and the move of the State governement to make it easier for more people in smaller space with no improvement in infrastructure. You can't outlaws enough straws or plastic bags in the grocery stores to make up for the mass numbers of consumers. People are the problem.