Non-Technical Fly Fishing

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
It cant be done on 300 . I just went to southern Colorado for a week and spent more than that on gas .
I chose a very specific location of Kansas City and SW Missouri on a four day schedule is doable from there. And southern Colorado is not out of the question from there either, based on a quick calculation. What I sketch out uses two days for travel and leaves two days for fishing:

187.50 fuel to Beulah Valley Co, where trout fishing appears available within 15 miles (If you can get 20 miles to the gallon. I use S3.00/gallon as gas prices along the route today range from 2.63-3.23 per gallon). If trout aren't available there, they are at Pueblo, but back and forth adds 100 miles that brings it to $202.50

39.99 ultra cheap Martin fly rod kit with leader and some flies from Dickssporting goods
48.00 for 12 "brown bag" type lunches (based on a website estimate of what such a meal typically costs).
34.70 for two days of license and a habitat stamp
0.00 Dispersed camping for free in the San Isabel National Forest right next door.

That comes out to $310 and change, 325 if you have to drive to Pueblo each day. However, there's a free fishing weekend in Colorado each June. Fish that weekend and you can nix the license fee. That puts the proposed trip in the neighborhood of $275-$295.

The point is: fly fishing is far more in reach than people realize, even trout. You might have to be skinflint frugal and care not about your pride, but it can be done.

Have you got trout within 250 miles? Then my challenge is definitely possible.

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Fewer still get game....Game being for the moment defined as the ability to predict a fish, and make it so.
That's obviously what Cliff Hilbert is very good at doing. With that many records, he could hardly be anything else.

I'm available 24/7 when you decide which camp you're in.
Sounds antagonistic. Do I interpret correctly?

Acheron

Reaction score
I believe that when the student is ready the master will appear.
Dangit. I KNEW IT!! :unsure: I guess I've never been ready! 🤷‍♂️ :D :D

But back to the topic...maybe, it's that there are many levels of technical-ness. What's overboard technical to one is considered common and necessary knowledge to another. I also think, in general, it's easy to forget what we went through not knowing in order to know :unsure:

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
But back to the topic...maybe, it's that there are many levels of technical-ness. What's overboard technical to one is considered common and necessary knowledge to another. I also think, in general, it's easy to forget what we went through not knowing in order to know :unsure:
Definitely the case. "Technical" is hard to define, too.

Bigfly

Reaction score
What we consider an adequate number of fish to hand, may be a variable that effects what technical is.......
When I started, a fish at all was a successful trip.
I was fishing a dry of course...
My lucky fly, combined with the barest of drifts....let's say 6ft drag free, when moved around all day, would finally produce! 200/1 is how I score it. 200 casts, and one fish to hand.
Woo-hoo!
At the time that was techy enough for me.
Now, I try to only make one cast, and one drift, for one fish.
It's only taken most of my life to think this "technically", but all it amounts to, is building on my early efforts.
My goal is not to catch a lot of fish. That is how I felt as a beginner....more please....
Now I seek perfection...one and done.
I'm not doing more....I'm doing less for more.
That is technical.....
(And the essence of zen).
But, if you are the kind of person that is willing to work for it, I can help.
I get kids and oldsters, men and women...and everything else over twenty years into fish. So it can't be that hard now eh?
Those who think fly fishing is technical and overwhelming, I can't help.......
You are doomed to make bad casts, poor drifts, sucky sets, with flies that can occasionally be eaten by a fish, but not dependably...over a cooperative fish.
This is where many fishers live for their careers, and have FUN!
I did...I thought I was a fly fisher. Except for a noticeable lack of fish. A fish on accident?
I hated it.
Great surroundings, pleasant folks, and few fish.
I say gird your loins, face your damn fears, get over laziness, and go freaking fish.
Or, quit being mystified and hanging out here.
This is not where you will become a fish ninja......
That would be a trout stream.
All the answers are there, just ask.
I think if you give up trying to learn to fish, you were probably meant to.
You would have had to kill me to stop me.
Never blame the salesman, he's not supposed to lay you away, we all give grief for that....just to sell you what you need. You are supposed to tell him.....even if you are wrong....that's how we learn.
And as the shop guy I learned how easy it is to take the money and not help.
I love being a gear councilor though....
Better to have them study, ask fishing buddy's, go to forums...then go get geared up, and attack.

Jim

Last edited:

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
What we consider an adequate number of fish to hand, may be a variable that effects what technical is.......
When I started, a fish at all was a successful trip.
I was fishing a dry of course...
My lucky fly, combined with the barest of drifts....let's say 6ft drag free, when moved around all day, would finally produce! 200/1 is how I score it. 200 casts, and one fish to hand.
Woo-hoo!
At the time that was techy enough for me.
Now, I try to only make one cast, and one drift, for one fish.
It's only taken most of my life to think this "technically", but all it amounts to, is building on my early efforts.
My goal is not to catch a lot of fish. That is how I felt as a beginner....more please....
Now I seek perfection...one and done.
I'm not doing more....I'm doing less for more.
That is technical.....
(And the essence of zen).
But, if you are the kind of person that is willing to work for it, I can help.
I get kids and oldsters, men and women...and everything else over twenty years into fish. So it can't be that hard now eh?
Those who think fly fishing is technical and overwhelming, I can't help.......
You are doomed to make bad casts, poor drifts, sucky sets, with flies that can occasionally be eaten by a fish, but not dependably...over a cooperative fish.
This is where many fishers live for their careers, and have FUN!
I did...I thought I was a fly fisher. Except for a noticeable lack of fish. A fish on accident?
I hated it.
Great surroundings, pleasant folks, and few fish.
I say gird your loins, face your damn fears, get over laziness, and go freaking fish.
Or, quit being mystified and hanging out here.
All the answers are there, just ask.
I think if you give up trying to learn to fish, you were probably meant to.
You would have had to kill me to stop me.
Never blame the salesman, he's not supposed to lay you away, we all give grief for that....just to sell you what you need. You are supposed to tell him.....even if you are wrong....that's how we learn.
And as the shop guy I learned how easy it is to take the money and not help.
Better to have them study, ask fishing buddy's, go to forums...then go get geared up, and attack.

Jim
So Cliff Hilbert is not a fly fisherman?

silver creek

Reaction score
So Cliff Hilbert is not a fly fisherman?
Yes he is but from what I can gather, he fly fishes reservoirs for warm water species since he lives in Texas. His favorite flies seem to be a pistol pete or a wooly bugger, or a clouser minnow.

I don't think he fishes for trout. So I would interpret his essay with that in mind.

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Yes he is but from what I can gather, he fly fishes reservoirs for warm water species since he lives in Texas. His favorite flies seem to be a pistol pete or a wooly bugger, or a clouser minnow.

I don't think he fishes for trout. So I would interpret his essay with that in mind.
He has some trout time, at least based on his article. There's every reason to believe he fishes primarily warmwater.

I want to hear what Jim says about it, though.

Last edited:

Bigfly

Reaction score
Not sure what the question is??
I fished warm water till I got bored.
I fished still water till I got bored.
I fished small fish till I got bored.
Not sure what I have to ad, to folks who don't feel the same.
I hope you all catch the kind and numbers you desire.
If you want bigger smarter and harder fish, I would love to assist.
I will share the Irish blessing....
May the fish you catch always be larger than the holes in your net.
That is all....going out tonite..

Jim

Last edited:

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Not sure what the question is??
I'll try to clarify.

[Referencing a prior lack of technical skill] I thought I was a fly fisher.

Cliff Hilbert fishes warmwater and admits to minimal technical skill, stating "I am probably one of the least technical fly fishers I know." Based on your quotes above as premises, it appears you would not consider Cliff Hilbert an authentic fly fisherman, and that his 12 state records using a fly rod don't change that.

Am I interpreting correctly?

Last edited:

sasquatch7

Reaction score
Good luck trying to reason with him , he's become very aggressive as of late . I put him on ignore .

Bigfly

Reaction score
Don't interpret....
How I categorize myself, only pertains to me.
But, a fish ninja has a high level of play.
" the least technical fisherman" doesn't sound ninja.....
Don't know Cliff.
Not sure why he left.
Nor do I care how he fishes, or his records....but I wish him well.
Especially in TX..
Where trout are tourists....
How you define the fly thing is up to you. I'm concerned only about fishing as well as I can,
not how well anyone else fishes..unless they desire to improve their game. Then I'm available to try and help......
Tugging a bugger for Bass, was an entry point to this sport for me at twelve yrs, old, catchin 5lb+ Bass. Not my high bar setting. Currently, that would be Steel on a dry I tied, on a 2 hander.
(Notice, I did not say in one drift.....)
Is that technical?
To the fishers that do it regularly, probably not.
We get to decide for ourselves.
I see my fly fishing as merely a progression from panning gravel, to finding nuggets.
My point was, as a beginner I thought a trout randomly caught on a fly, qualified me as a fly fisher. It does right?
What am I now 5 decades later? Still thinking I'm a fly fisher...but a bit closer to achieving it for myself.

Jim.

Last edited:

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Don't interpret....
How I categorize myself, only pertains to me.
But, a fish ninja has a high level of play.
" the least technical fisherman" doesn't sound ninja.....
Don't know Cliff.
Not sure why he left.
Nor do I care how he fishes, or his records....but I wish him well.
Especially in TX..
Where trout are tourists....
How you define the fly thing is up to you. I'm concerned only about fishing as well as I can,
not how well anyone else fishes..unless they desire to improve their game. Then I'm available to try and help......
Tugging a bugger for Bass, was an entry point to this sport for me at twelve yrs, old, catchin 5lb+ Bass. Not my high bar setting. Currently, that would be Steel on a dry I tied, on a 2 hander.
Is that technical?
We get to decide for ourselves.
I see my fly fishing as merely a progression from panning gravel, to finding nuggets.
My point was, as a beginner I thought a trout randomly caught on a fly, qualified me as a fly fisher. It does right?
What am I now 5 decades later? Still thinking I'm a fly fisher...but a bit closer to achieving it for myself.

Jim.
Thank you for clarifying.

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Is that technical?
As I said earlier, "Technical" is a term that's hard to pin down.

I start to make distinctions on things that come from knowledge of fish, biology, etc. I call that "fish sense," along the lines of knowing why a fish is where it is and what it is doing, for example, whether it's a rainbow trout or a flathead catfish. In my categorization, one doesn't really need to know about flyfishing to get this sort of knowledge.

It isn't a perfect distinction, but I tie "technical" to the term "technique," and particularly necessary knowledge of it. e.g. things like knowing drag, how to attach your fly line, sink rates, how to make a delicate tuck cast or its splatty opposite.

Even that's still a little blurry. But "fish sense" is the much clearer of the two in my thinking.

Bigfly

Reaction score
They sold stuff to guys that couldn't fish back then as well.
You need to watch the Lost world of Mr Hardy.
1897....Hardy this and Hardy that.......

Jim

trev

Reaction score
Fishing is another term wanting definition. For it can be a pastime, a passion or an obsession. There is no such thing as can't fish, children do it.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Fishing is another term wanting definition. For it can be a pastime, a passion or an obsession. There is no such thing as can't fish, children do it.
This. Nothing about fishing is technical. It's a phrase we apply to certain situations to make us feel badass when we do good in those situations. Or as an excuse when we don't connect with the offerings of the day.