Non-Technical Fly Fishing

trev

Reaction score
But, man, we are locked in mortal combat with an unfeeling, unemotional and unthinking wild and primitive creature almost a fraction of our size, we need any technical advantage we can get.

proheli

Reaction score
Did technical fly fishing exist 40 years ago Or is it new jargon to sell more stuff?
Technically, lol, sporting goods started to become technical 40-50 years ago. It was when advanced production methods and materials improved on the natural materials that had been being used for the previous 1000’s of years before that. For eample, people had been snow skiing in wool coats, then there was a period of time when we put nylon over goose down, but soon after, we had lighter and cheaper and more insulation man-Mande materials other than down, and the shells of the coats were not simply woven cotton or nylon anymore. Next were socks. No longer wearing just cotton or wool, because after a few hours of hard work, these natural materials would pull and warp out of shape, no longer supporting the foot - but if we wove mixtures of other synthetic - man made materials - into the cotton or wool, or made them 100 synthetic, all of the sudden we had garments that could stand up to a full day of hard exercise - and the human was more productive because of technology. These advanced products were called techincal. They required actual tuechonology to produce them. This happened in all fields. I’m don’t know when it happened with fly rods, but fiberglass is surely a somewhat technical materiel, even if it is simple. Now however, its hard science that rules the day. Sometime I think people think that fly rods are simple because the raw materials to build them are so inexpensive. Also, the concept of a fat round hoop that tapers to nothing is so simple that it gives the impression that anyone could do it. But even if they could, the materials and the way they go together are still very technical.

trev

Reaction score
@proheli you are confusing the materials and tools with the activity, I think. A sharpened stick and a fractured rock splinter as tools are technology but that doesn't make spearing of a creature and cutting it into bite sized bits technical.

proheli

Reaction score
@proheli you are confusing the materials and tools with the activity, I think. A sharpened stick and a fractured rock splinter as tools are technology but that doesn't make spearing of a creature and cutting it into bite sized bits technical.
Thanks trev, you are right of course. I’d forgotten how this thread started out. Personally, I do think the activity itself can be pretty techinical. meaning you have to be precise and somewhat of an expert to catch fish. Or maybe I should say that you the more you know and the more precisely you can apply your knowledge then the more successful you will be. If a guy wants to keep it simple and take his same setup to a few places where he knows exactly where the fish are, then I suppose it can be a simple activity. But I also think that every single piece of data, like “today were are using a 14 Adams” rests in an entire ocean of data. Like, why mayflys instead of caddis, why a 14 instead of a 18. And of course, first we go to Denny’s and then Starbucks because for some unknown reason the 14 Adams never works until the bugs are flying around in the air. Oh wait, that is a “hatch.” I’m just saying there is so much information that I certainly think the sport could qualify as technical becabuse there can be a lot of data. Even if it is simple for some people, I think for others it can qualify as technical. I also think it is a strong mind that can correlate and entire body of data and reduce it to its simplicities, and that guy then says something like, fly fishing is simple.

trev

Reaction score
Yes fly fishing can be very technical, twitching the rod just so to make the fly zip around a stump or under a drooping limb, or using a tuck to sink the fly are techniques peculiar to fly fishing and there are many other techniques peculiar to fly fishing that when used in an advanced manner can be called technical. The higher ones skill level and knowledge is the more technical one can be while fishing. Technique, not tools is what makes an activity technical, I think, maybe.
The OP was making the point that one can catch a fish or even a record fish without full knowledge of all the precise techniques, or the science behind those techniques; I suspect we all started there. Even the basic fly cast is a technique and so some would say technical, but it is quite possible to perform the cast without knowing the physics involved or even the prescribed posture, so, I question the technicality of it.