Northeast in early September

bwadep

Reaction score
I am planning a trip over Labor Day and am wanting to get into some good trout/salmon fishing. I am thinking Vermont or Maine and shooting for some big Brookies. How is the fishing in early September? Any suggestions on the best place to make home base? I appreciate any suggestions.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Depends on the weather too
Brookies like cold water and migrate into the lakes when the temps don't suit them.
I was reading the Rangeley report on Friday and only one of the rivers, a tail water, was fishing well even though they've recently had a lot of rain.
A "spate" of rain in September will bring fresh salmon up into the rivers, but in most recent years that hasn't happened until after the season closes at the end of the month.
A few other areas to think about would be the the Connecticut River in Pittsburgh NH, Grand Lake Steam in downeast Maine, and the East Outlet of the Kennebec. But all of those places are going to be popular.
I like fishing the many FFO ponds myself, but even that is tough when the surface temperature is hovering around 70*.

IMGP0019.JPG

Reactions: Ard