Northern California-Mendocino in July

jujim

Reaction score
HI guys going to Medocino the second week of July where are the honey holes? Are there any? Cheers,Chet

yikes

Reaction score
Hi Jujim, and congrats on your upcoming trip!

I don't have specific insider knowledge of Mendocino, but it has been my experience in general that most locals are hesitant to divulge their honey holes on publicly visible internet forums. Consider rephrasing your question to "what local guides or fly shops are available to provide information on this area?", and then work from there.

Also, be sure to consult our statewide fishing regulations. Some creeks along the California coast are off limits due to the endangered steelhead.

Good luck and tight lines!

tcorfey

Reaction score
Here is the local fishing report
https://www.ukiahdailyjournal.com/2019/05/29/4-reel-fishin-37/

Other suggestions

https://www.mendoparks.org/fishing

We usually go to Mendocino area to fish in the ocean for Salmon, rock fish and occasionally Tuna in August. Not a real hot bed area for trout fishing but in the fall and winter if you catch it right and there is enough water you get Salmon and Steelhead in the rivers. There are some resident rainbows in the rivers but it's not a popular destination for that.

jujim

Reaction score
I was thinking up in the hills ,further east ,not the coast. Thanks,Chet

Bigfly

Reaction score
For what it's worth, by July in CA. we are getting dry....this year especially. So the creeks will be very quiet. As was mentioned, it's not a hot spot to begin with. I always feel a little bad for folks coming in summer. Most of the good fishing is on in Spring, on average.

Jim

jujim

Reaction score
What about up in the hills? The Big River,Little River..... I can drive a couple of hours too.Chet

tcorfey

Reaction score
Most of the lakes that they talk about are stocked with trout and they are almost all reservoirs, so they have tail-waters those tailwaters probably have a flow gauge so I would check that, and cool water for the first couple of miles. I have heard the trout in them are small but maybe it's worth a look. If you do not know how to find flow gauge reports on the net use the google machine. Many flow gauges also measure water temp.

Uncle Stu

Reaction score
I travel to the Mendo area every summer, but not for fishing. Clearlake might have some opportunities, otherwise you're looking at the Redding area for rainbows in the Sacramento River (look up The Fly Shop) or Eureka/Arcata for sea run cutthroats in the estuaries... three hour drive from Mendo though, sorry.

jujim

Reaction score
That's what I'm talkin bout Thanks guys.I'll find a puddle somewhere!

Uncle Stu

Reaction score
What about up in the hills? The Big River,Little River..... I can drive a couple of hours too.Chet
I know those rivers a bit, I spend time every year at Mendocino Woodlands. They are not stocked that I know of, but I have seen a few trout here and there, possibly young steelhead, and if so, probably off limits. Those watersheds were pretty well f****d by logging of the redwoods and are still not fully recovered. There is very little in-stream habitat for some reason, almost seems like the big logs were all removed. Sad.

satyr

Reaction score
If you are willing to drive a few hours you can get to the Upper Sacramento above Lake Shasta, or over near Lassen to Hat Creek. Lots of other rivers up in those necks of the woods.

jujim

Reaction score
Great ! That's my plan now! I expected to have to drive,it's beautiful up there and I love volcanoes! Chet

yikes

Reaction score
Hat Creek, Fall River, Pit River, Sacramento River, McCloud River, all within about an hour of each other.

My most picturesque was fishing in that region was at Burney Falls. To be honest, it was difficult at best, with misty wind constantly clouding our sunglasses, rocks as slick as greased bowling balls. I hooked just one. But if I was trying to catch scenery instead of trout, that would be the place.

(That's not me, LOL)

ed from bama

Reaction score
Good morning to all-
My first trout- about 60 years ago- came from Burney Creek.
It was a case of ignorance meeting ignorance.
I grew up in Arkansas where the limits on the warm water fish are generous, and game enforcement was non-existent. In short, in those long-gone days you could catch and keep all the bluegills and bullheads you wanted. But my folks wanted to take a trip back out west- I was born there, by the way- so I could see where I first hit the ground. We went to Burney, California.
I borrowed an uncle's fly rod and fly box- I had never seen such a thing before- and I walked to Burney Creek. I found an old dam of some sort across the creek and the water looked good. I dipped the fly into the water- cane pole style- and son of a gun- something ate. I caught a trout! Not big, but beautiful. I caught another. And another. These California trout and I were operating on the same very low level, and we were getting along fine.
I fished for a while, and when I figured I had enough trout for a fish fry, I loaded them up and took my bad self home.
When I got back to the relatives' house, my uncle was glad to see me, but not so glad to see the god-awful string of trout I brought with me.
He told me I was way over-limit. I said, "Way over what?"
Keep in mind I came from Arkansas, and ignorance is the common state of being there.
But those little trout tasted good, and I knew I wanted to catch more of them.
My uncle told me I could not do that in Burney Creek, though.

good day to all- Ed

jujim

Reaction score
HA great story.That's what is used to be about! Those old photos of giant strings of giant trout,whew! I've been lucky this past month Vermont stocked some gigantic ,beautiful brookies 12-17" on a small fork of the Deerfield. it's been fishing heaven.We've become fishing friends with several! Cheers,Chet