Northern California

Geezer Man

Reaction score
I fly fish the Sacramento River (Upper and Lower), the McCloud, the Pit, the Trinity, Hat Creek, and many of the tributaries thereof and many lakes in day trips from home. These are all nearby streams of the Cascades and Klamath Mountains. In addition, I camp and fish many streams and lakes to the south in the Sierra Nevadas. I would like to find a fishing partner - a retired old guy like me - who resides nearby with whom to fish these many streams and lakes.

tcorfey

Reaction score
Welcome aboard GM! I am not retired yet (another 2-3 years till my son graduates university) but, I do fish many of the same areas you mentioned. Maybe we can get together sometime. In the meantime let us know about your adventures (no spot burning please). What methods do you use? Dry flys, wets, nymphs, streamers? or maybe you use indicators, high stick or euro-nymph? Maybe you prefer to fish the swing and use a spey rod? Do you tie your own flies or buy them? What kind of rod material do you prefer graphite, glass or bamboo? I see you are located near Redding lot's of opportunities around there!

Geezer Man

Reaction score
You are too young and not retired! Seriously, I'm 82. Typically, I fish during the week when fools such as you are at work. I use all methods. I tie flies and I buy them. I use graphite rods. I live in Redding - I moved here 7 years ago when I closed my business in Silicon Valley. I began fly fishing many years ago backpacking the Sierras, Cascades, Trinities, Klamaths, etc. I'm too old for backpacking now. In fact, I own some serious 4WD vehicles and I drive as close to the fishing hole as possible. Still, one must clamber up and down cliffs and wade through poison oak and rattle snakes in the places I fish - then there are the encounters with bears, pumas and idiots. Which is why I'm seeking a partner. Safety in numbers.

tcorfey

Reaction score
Hey GM, sounds like you fish many of the places I do. I applaud you for still clamoring around at your age that is awesome. Being 62 I still backpack some but, not as much as I use to. Good idea to have a partner. One of my best friends is 83 but due to his knee surgery we only fish together from a boat now.

fatbillybob

Reaction score
I love to fish by myself. I like the solitude and uninterupted concentration. I also love fishing with a friend. Beating a difficult fish taking turns sight fishing a single fish seeing who will get the take is an absolute blast. Your pictures are better with a friend behind the camera and it is absolutely safer. I owned my 1st wading staff at 20 and never used it until my 40's. Now I'd rather forget one of my flyboxs than forget my staff. That is what age does to you. I'm hopeful for the future of starlink service on your phone anywhere without sat phone prices. At least currently there is a good about of water all over the USA with cell service that can get you out of a jam.