Northern Virginia Member

gnarl78

Reaction score
I missed this topic some time ago, so I suppose a late introduction is better than none :) I was introduced to fly-fishing by my father when I was in high school. He tied his own flies, and we had some great family vacations fishing in Colorado (South Platte), Montana/Wyoming (Yellowstone area), Arkansas (White River), Pennsylvania (Yellow Breeches). I didn’t have much opportunity to fish when I was in the Navy, and am finally starting to put more priority toward it as I approach retirement. I am blessed to have an assortment of nice fly-fishing equipment, but I certainly need to learn a lot more and practice my casting to be a capable fisherman. My wife doesn’t understand the concept of catch and release...and why I’d spend all that time and not bring home any fish. I’m located in Northern Virginia and would like to learn more about nearby fly fishing waters.

dennyk

Reaction score
Welcome gnarl, this is a great forum with lot's of helpful folks, you are going to like it here!

My better half doesn't quite but into catch and release as well. Her Problem LOL.

Denny

ddb

Reaction score
It beats chasing (other) women.

To learn more about area fly fishing, there are several local clubs -- Potomac River, Smallmouth focused-- with email sites. And there is a local TU Chapter.

ddb

Crocwrestler

Reaction score
Welcome Gnarl. Unsure where you are in NVA, but if close to Arlington then go visit District Angling and chat with Richie. Super helpful guy who can break down the whole area for you, and set you up with some casting lessons if needed. Also visit TPFR.org as that is a wealth of local info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gnarl78

Reaction score
Welcome Gnarl. Unsure where you are in NVA, but if close to Arlington then go visit District Angling and chat with Richie. Super helpful guy who can break down the whole area for you, and set you up with some casting lessons if needed. Also visit TPFR.org as that is a wealth of local info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I stopped by there the other day and met Richie (and bought a reel from him). He gave me a couple of free flies to try on the Yellow Breeches this week!

spm

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Gnarl. Lots of good people on here. Looking forward to reading about your fishing adventures in NVA.

steve