Northwest Corner, Conn. 2019 edition

patrick62

Reaction score
Little bit of wet snow this morning. Some frigid overnight temps coming. Is it time to start my annual attempt to care about basketball? Should I join the local Y for a few months?

Bah.

Housatonic tribs are in nice shape right now, if you don't mind the weather. Big river a little high for my taste but certainly fishable. Farmington has medium flows.

skunkedalot

Reaction score
I fished Wednesday- probably last day with temps in upper 50's. Spent morning chasing a bird dog around for pheasants and then a little fishing in afternoon. sort of a cast and blast day if you will. Took 3 largemouths on a white bugger. nice fish too, 14 to 16 inches. couple of bluegills too. farm pond fishing. water was not too cold yet. might hit the salt friday as it is supposed to be 50 again and the hickory shad are around- per intel. deer season next week. ice fishing is coming- maybe too soon this year. tight lines

lookard

Reaction score
I decided go to the Housatonic river during the mid way drive from NYC to the Farmington river. It was pouring yesterday, which made me rule out brewster. Plus, I had fished brewster the previous week and didn't feel like fishing the same spots again. I usually do badly at the Farmington when it gets cold. I just cant seem to figure it out during the cold months.

I got to the Housatonic River Outfitters and spoke with Harold who said today's bite wouldn't be too good with the rain that had been going on upstream and all the way to MA. But he still helped point out some places where wading would be safe. I got to the spot and started with a small red dart on the dropper and a tungsten egg on point.

But the fishing was great! First fish was the largest fish of the day. A brown about 14" on the red dart. This was also when the rain stopped and the warmest part of the day. After an hour and a half, it started raining again and I also fell into the water because of a large rock I couldn't see and didn't feel. The good thing was I was right near the edges and I could use my hands in the shallow part to push up and out of the water.

Good thing I was using synthetic down and no cotton. But the rain started coming even harder. I usually carry camping gear in the car to set up a comfortable space for the wife. So I took out the tarp and set it up "porch mode" in front of the river along with a chair and table. I stayed out of the rain to warm up and made some mountain house.

After an hour of lunch, I packed up the shelter and started to get ready to fish again. I went to the second spot that was recommended. Again, I found the fish was biting and started having a good time. After a while, it started snowing. It was amazing and beautiful, but made it very challenging to detect strikes from the sighter.

Nevertheless, it was super enjoyable and warm with the right equipment. Wool gloves are simply amazing. I was using them in -7F on the Madison and it really helped keep my hands in action yesterday as well.

IMG_20191124_122846.jpg

PANO_20191124_134218.vr.jpg

PANO_20191124_141648.vr.jpg

patrick62

Reaction score
Nice going. That rain was pretty heavy

I fished a little blue line this morning for a couple hours. Caught one decent brookie at about 8 inches and tickled a couple others. Might be the last decent fishing day for a while, with temps in mid 50s.

lookard

Reaction score
I think I'm going to go up there this weekend again! The fishing was really good! Hopefully, there wouldn't be much rain.

skunkedalot

Reaction score
predicting 12 inches of snow in the hills of Litchfield county. driving should be nasty Sunday and part of Monday. be safe gents.

lookard

Reaction score
If the Hous is too high for your liking try Furnace Brook along Route 4 just up the street from HRO.
I had intended to check out that tributary yesterday, but the fishing on the Housatanic was good! Also, I brought out the wife and had set her up in a winter hammock cocoon, so I didn't want to move. The water was really high still, but we managed to get down into the slow zone and got into a few fish. I'm really impressed with the catch rate on the Housatanic river. But I don't know if I can just attribute it to the river, or if my skills improved from a straight 6 days of euronymphing on the Madison in later october or if my new rod is a lot more sensitive and I'm detecting more subtle strikes.