Northwest Georgia

That Tall Freak

Reaction score
Hello, I’m from Florida and am traveling to Georgia for thanksgiving. I will be staying in northwest Georgia near cloud land canyon state park. I will be there for over a week and would like to do some fishing while up there.

Does anyone have any experience with this area? This will be my first attempt at fly fishing and would like to catch a few trout if possible. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

dswice

Reaction score
Hello, I’m from Florida and am traveling to Georgia for thanksgiving. I will be staying in northwest Georgia near cloud land canyon state park. I will be there for over a week and would like to do some fishing while up there.

Does anyone have any experience with this area? This will be my first attempt at fly fishing and would like to catch a few trout if possible. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
First, welcome to the Forum. Second, I'd recommend you call Unicoi Outfitters in Helen, GA, (706) 878-3083, as they are the premier fly fishing shop in North Georgia. They offer reliable information for the time of year you will be visiting. I suspect, for better trout fishing you may need to fish further East from where you will be staying, more specifically, in the Helen, Blue Ridge, Ellijay area.
In November, egg patterns (size 14) and nymphs (size 18 - hare's ear, pheasant tail, copper john, etc.) often work well. Small streamers are also good.

Last edited:

goofnoff1

Reaction score
Out of curiosity what do you have for tackle?

I don't now anything about Northwest GA, but just buy black and/or olive Wooly Buggers. The only thing you can do wrong with a Wooly Bugger is not put it in the water.

One other thing. You can always call the GA Fish and Wildlifeand ask them where to go.

That Tall Freak

Reaction score
Thank you, I currently do not have any equipment. I’m looking up recommendations and doing research as to what to buy and what I will need.

goofnoff1

Reaction score
Thank you, I currently do not have any equipment. I’m looking up recommendations and doing research as to what to buy and what I will need.
Welcome to fly fishing. You can spend as much money as you want on this sport. Florida is not exactly a Mecca for coldwater fishing. It is, however a great place for saltwater. For coldwater, you can get setup nicely for four hundred dollars. Are you still interested?

However, to be honest, from what you've said, I'd buy a light spinning rod and reel plus some 4lb spinning line plus a half dozen 1/16th oz Panther Martins. You fish them straight upstream, and reel back slightly faster than the current. That will start to teach you about trout and it's inexpensive.

I you really want to learn how to get in the game, there are three books that will save you years of trial and error. All the books are by Orvis. They have a beginners book, Orvis Fly Fishing Guide, plus Prospecting for Trout and Reading Trout Water both by Tom Rosenbauer.

Buying a bunch of fly fishing gear and trying to learn the ropes in one trip is a sure way to become really frustrated.

Last edited:

That Tall Freak

Reaction score
I understand the cost of getting into the hobby, I also plan on practicing in a local bodies of water to try and learn as much as I can before hand.

half fast

Reaction score
In that case, is there a fly shop anywhere near you? Go there, put your MasterCard on the counter, and throw yourself on their mercy. They’ll be happy to get you fully equipped and probably throw in a casting lesson or two. Then practice and practice and practice....

Then book a guide for the area you’ll be visiting.

You might also visit this site and watch all the videos. https://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/video-lessons

goofnoff1

Reaction score
There is an 8'6" Orvis Silver for 4Wt that just came up on the classifieds. I'd grab it in a heart beat for a starter rod. 4wt ismy choice for fish small to medium sized streams.