NRX+ 590 and RIO Tech Trout

mike_r

Reaction score
Anyone tried the new RIO technical trout wf5f line on the NRX+ 590. Just bought the rod and yard tested at shop with my own SA Mastery Expert Distance and Rio Gold IT lines in wf5f. Preferred the MED slightly for more of a dry fly application. Wondering where the Tech Trout might fall in. What other lines have folks enjoyed on the New Loomis NRX+ rods? BTW, just from a casting prospective, this 590 is the best darn “technical” 9’ 5wt rod I have ever cast!!! That list is long btw and includes other rods I have owned in that config: Scott Radian, Sage X, Sage XP, Loomis Streamdance GLX HLS, etc. Have also spent a day with the fabulous Stickman P5 so the above statement says a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noodle

Reaction score
Not having cast that rod, I’m curious as to what it does that makes you consider it a “technical caster”?

loomis303

Reaction score
I have the NRX+ 690 (9 foot 6 weight) which I use for my New Zealand holidays. I use a Master Infinity Smooth as I use a multitude of methods, particularly with large Cicada patterns, dry dropper and double nymphing rigs. The backcountry rivers require a rod to load quickly and in close from time to time - hence why the Infinity is my choice. The MPX loads the rod quicker, but it is not a pure dry line. the Infinity certainly has a lot more finesse. If I was to use the rod for dry fly only, I would be tempted to opt for a MED or Mastery Trout. As an aside, I also have the most excellent Stickman T6 (9 foot 6wt) and P5 (9 foot 5wt) and I honestly think both these and the Loomis NRX+ are top of the tree in terms of all round 'fishing rods'.

Last edited:

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I have yet to cast the new +#5 and look foreword to doing so, I have cast the terrific #4. I would guess that between SA MED, which is what my uber technical ONE prefers and IT Gold which is the line for my original NRX#5, one of those would be spot on. Regarding IT Technical Trout, that would be and interesting experiment. I am fishing one favorably on my 8 1/2'/#5 X which represents a slight but distinct improvement over Gold on that individual rod and I look forward to your matching it with NRX+. Congratulations on your great new rod.

dr d

Reaction score
hi,

post+duncan(telluride) oscillate between it gold and sa infinity - now you´ve the choice...

thomas

mike_r

Reaction score
Not having cast that rod, I’m curious as to what it does that makes you consider it a “technical caster”?

What I mean is that the rod doesn’t require so much technical skill to cast it, rather the rod has such a refined action that it would be capable of performing very technical casts.

mike_r

Reaction score
This rod is uber special. What Rajeff has done is build a trout rod that is like an accelerator pedal on a 911 Porsche. Whatever the caster puts in, is exactly what the caster gets out. The NRX+ 590 really allows the individual the complete control of line speed with smooth acceleration like none other I have cast. Each section of the rod dampens congruently to the next in connection. Swings very light and can explode with power! You just gotta feel it to believe it.

mike_r

Reaction score
Just got back in from a casting session with the NRX+ 590. Was waxing somewhat poetic in my mind and thought of Marissa Tomei from a scene in My Cousin Vinnie when she says, in her thick, “I”talian, New Yawk accent; “...dead on balls accurate ”
That’s how I would describe the sharpe delivery of The NRX+590...dead-on balls accurate!

tybo11

Reaction score
I agree here with all love for the NRX+ 9ft 5wt.. I have one as well and absolutely love it. Best big water 5wt I have fished in a long time (I have not cast the Asquith 5wt, but honestly haven’t really felt the need, I just love the NRX+) Powerful, light, buttery smooth and such a wonderfully progressive taper transition. It also has a large sweet spot while casting, its very easy to cast and forgiving. I fish my + with SA Amplitude Smooth Infinity. Not a pure dry fly line, but a wonderful all a rounder that is great for dry dropper and nymphing. The Infinity loads the rod really well and provides a feeling of connectedness that I really like. I anxiously await getting the NRX+ 6wt once they are back in stock.

Last edited:

mike_r

Reaction score
You Know, for Once I agree with George Anderson on something. What is neat in addition to being a powerful 5 wt fly rod, the NRX+ is capable of finesse work too. For the neophyte caster, maybe not so much as such, that individual would probably think the rod stiff and un-feeling. As Tybo mentions, the rod has a very progressive flex profile as is typical of Steve Rajeff design. There is plenty of feel there but one has to be sensitive to it...some real genius involved in this particular design, really. I am still trying to decide weather to buy a RIO Technical Trout line in IT or regular to try on it. I liked the IT Gold on it, and for everyday nymph, wet, and sometimes dry work fine. I prefer my MED for dry from what I have tested so far. The only other line I might consider is the Amplitude Smooth Trout , but feel it would be very close to the SA MED.

czando

Reaction score
The Rio tech trout is great on my Asquith 4!

mike_r

Reaction score
Took the NRX+ 5 for a 4 hr fish yesterday. Used the SA MED which was just about perfect or dry flies on a 14’ hand tied leader. Also fished soft hackles which also was darn near perfect at all distances out to 80’. Incredible range on this rod! The sweet spot is literally 25-75’. Can do more or less with slight adjustments but Holy Sh&t Batman! My line must hav been picking up some algae or dirt cause toward the end of the session those light weight single foot Recoils were beginning to sing a bit...my Only complaint with the rod, period! Ordered a RIO Tech Trout in IT version to try on it...gut feeling. I really want to keep the MED as a backup since you can’t hardly find them any more! If the RIO line doesn’t absolutely sing, then an SA Amplitude smooth Trout outa do it!

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Recoils can set up with harmonics but usually only under the pressure of fighting a good fish and usually the coiled Recoil strippers are at the center of this phenomenon so maybe you issue did stem from frictional dirt.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
Recoils can set up with harmonics but usually only under the pressure of fighting a good fish and usually the coiled Recoil strippers are at the center of this phenomenon so maybe you issue did stem from frictional dirt.
Interesting. I’m about 2 months in with my + 9’ 5wt. Two trips I’ve been lucky enough to hook into some nice trout...and noticed quite a bit of noise from the guides while fighting them. Doesn’t really bother me though, and love the rod.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Interesting. I’m about 2 months in with my + 9’ 5wt. Two trips I’ve been lucky enough to hook into some nice trout...and noticed quite a bit of noise from the guides while fighting them. Doesn’t really bother me though, and love the rod.
Are you fishing a smooth or textured fly line?

mike_r

Reaction score
Two trips fishing the RIO IT Tech Trout and I can honestly say it is better on the water than in the yard! While the line is slick dry, seems to get slicker when wet and becoming very manageable with the NRX + #5! Heck, allow me to re-phrase that...becoming quite enjoyable, as I become more familiar with it. The aerial, and on water mending properties of this line feel very in sync with the NRX+. At no time do I feel the need for extra grains packed into a fly line head to make the rod perform as one with some decent casting acumen would expect. Very nice fit indeed!

dr d

Reaction score
I have the NRX+ 690 (9 foot 6 weight) which I use for my New Zealand holidays. I use a Master Infinity Smooth as I use a multitude of methods, particularly with large Cicada patterns, dry dropper and double nymphing rigs. The backcountry rivers require a rod to load quickly and in close from time to time - hence why the Infinity is my choice. The MPX loads the rod quicker, but it is not a pure dry line. the Infinity certainly has a lot more finesse. If I was to use the rod for dry fly only, I would be tempted to opt for a MED or Mastery Trout. As an aside, I also have the most excellent Stickman T6 (9 foot 6wt) and P5 (9 foot 5wt) and I honestly think both these and the Loomis NRX+ are top of the tree in terms of all round 'fishing rods'.
hi loomis,

could you please explain your personal impressions of the differences between

the new hardy prototype (other thread),your stickman p5/t6 and your nrx +690-4;

f.e tapering,action,feel and smoothness as i will make a decision in september...;)

thanks a lot and nice we.

thomas

p.s.:i´ve the Impression that they are all on the more progressive and faster side with

stable mid-butt -sections …?! in special the new hardy nsx(ultralite!) must have thicker walls

or bigger diameter to stay in race with nrx+ or stickman p5/t6...the mentioned weight of the #5 with

3 oz seems quite high.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Not NRX+ but was casting another rod with single foot Recoils in the park yesterday in preparation for heading up to the river tomorrow. Squeak, squeak and more squeaking. Went home, put the (well used) line in a sink of warm water with a little mild soap, ran it through a microfiber cloth and rinsed it. Back to the park, the squeaking was gone!

dr d, There are two series of Ultralites, fast and bendier LL's.