Ny steelhead and brown trout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikee

Reaction score
I dont fly fish but this seems to be the best place to ask some questions about browns and steelhead
I fish irondequoit creek for steelhead and browns pre ice and ice out
And was wondering what is best worm or jig under a bobber with split shots or rubber core sinkers
Or any other lure that will catch me sometime because i only ever caught one decent brown on a mepps and am tired of catching nothing during these trout seasons

flytie09

Reaction score
Sorry Pikee.... this is a fly fishing forum. So the ask isn’t appropriate and secondly..... it’s not prudent to discuss when, where and how for Great Lakes tribs.

To answer your question..... it doesn’t matter. They will eat cigarette butts, squishy balls, mops, Shamwows and shoe laces...... get it in their face and they will eat it. Migratory Steelhead and Browns are not selective unless there is pressure.

Go to FishUSA forum... there’s a Great Lakes section on there for non fly guys.

Good luck.

Reactions: Ard

Gotribe

Reaction score
Yeah, this is purely a fly fishing site. But when it comes to Great Lakes tribe steelhead the two methods can look a lot alike outside of swinging flies: bobbers for both, line in the case of spin and leader in the case of fly, weights on both, real eggs for spin and tied eggs for fly, jigs for spin and droppers for fly. Lots of forums for steelheading on the tribs. That said, heading out with a guide for a day will work wonders for you in terms of not so much your rig as how to fish it in various water. Good luck!

Pikee

Reaction score
Sorry Pikee.... this is a fly fishing forum. So the ask isn’t appropriate and secondly..... it’s not prudent to discuss when, where and how for Great Lakes tribs.

To answer your question..... it doesn’t matter. They will eat cigarette butts, squishy balls, mops, Shamwows and shoe laces...... get it in their face and they will eat it. Migratory Steelhead and Browns are not selective unless there is pressure.

Go to FishUSA forum... there’s a Great Lakes section on there for non fly guys.

Good luck.
Thx for forum location

Reactions: Ard
Status
Not open for further replies.