OBX - First time fly fishing salt/surf - Advice?

Druunkonego

Reaction score
Heading to Carova Beach next week. I only found out I was doing this a couple days ago (we got invited to join some friends) so I haven't had the opportunity to properly research. From what little research Iv'e done, it seems that the Oregon Inlet is a place to go (though it's a solid hour and a half away from our rental). Perhaps I can make it down there one day throughout the week. Are there any prospects further north on the banks? In the sound? Seems there are a lot of canals in this area, off the sound. I understand there are spotted trout... what other sort of species might I target? What sort of fly patterns (color, size, etc.) would you recommend?
I've had little time to prepare but I've got a decent stock of tying materials so perhaps I can whip up a few patterns over the next couple nights (we're leaving on Saturday night).

I'm planning on taking a 9wt and maybe a 7wt. I've got one decent bite leader (SA Toothy Fish Stealth) that I assume I'll be needing to use.

I've bait fished in the surf as a boy with my dad but but this will be my first time attempting to flyfish. I know the wind might be a problem. I'm wishing I had a stripping basket... Maybe I can fashion one out of a clothes basket or something.

What else do I need to know? Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

hatidua

Reaction score
Park at Bodie Lighthouse and walk east on the trail until you hit water, it's a fairly decent striper fishery back there in the creeks.

Druunkonego

Reaction score
Any pattern recommendations? ...I know there are a lot of knowledgeable salt/surf fishermen/women here...

I'm just guessing here but some patterns I'm thinking are;
surf candy baitfish
crazy charlie
Clouser minnows

Whacha got?

Uncle Stu

Reaction score
I fly fish the surf in CA all the time. Get there early to avoid the wind (sunrise) and try to hit some moving water on a tide change, either incoming or outgoing. Dark days are best and if the moon rises the same time as the sun, your chances will be better than average.

You said it will be your first time fly fishing? You mean in saltwater or anywhere? Try to get some practice time in before you go! It may not be as easy as you think... or it might be. :)

Regarding flies... you can't lose with a chartreuse/white Clouser minnow.

Last edited:

hatidua

Reaction score
clousers of one color or another will cover just about every fish in the state of NC. White/chartreuse is hard to beat but have a few red/black and red/brown in the box as well (with gold flash on those).