Offering The Double Braided Loop

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
After having ample time to track the costs of various braided materials - labor time making the best loops I can produce - packaging and the $3.09 current postage fee for tracked deliveries a price change has occurred. These are still under 2 dollars each and they do offer cheap protection to welded loop lines & sink tips. I regret that they are not free but the reality of supply costs, banking fees and postage has come home to roost here.

I don't make use of my business membership very often, no hocking for guided fishing not even pushing my Loops............

I'm going to take a minute or two to talk to you about those welded loops on your fly lines and how I protect mine. As far as I know I am the first person who began posting to forums about the use of a Double Loop system regarding welded loop line damage.

Back in 2010 I had a really nice salmon hooked and was about the business of bringing it to shore. As I was pumping then reeling to gain line and bring the fish close my line suddenly went slack. I reeled things in and saw that my leader was gone as well as fish & fly.

Oh well reach for a spool of tippet and tie on a new one right? Wrong. What I found was that the welded loop on my Scientific Anglers line was sheared right through / cut! No more loop to do the loop to loop leader with. Now what?

Right, make a nail knot. Anyone who has not tied a nail knot for ten years and has no nail knot tool with them at a time like this knows how this went. I finished the day using a floating tip because the cut line was my only Hi Density sink tip.

Experience had also shown me that sink tip material is rather a soft coating and a nail knot can often just peal the coating off and be gone as well. So what did I do?

I went home and created a Double Braided Monofilament Loop. I have used them ever since that day and since I produced a video about my fishing techniques I have been selling Double Braided Loops all over the country and the world.

This is a 3 year old fly line's welded loop, does yours look that good?

12655.JPG

12656.JPG

Both sides or top & bottom and I believe you might agree it is as good as new. That line has caught more 10 - 25 pound fish than I can take a guess at and that loop is undamaged.

Take a look at your sink tip loops before you go off chasing Steelhead or Salmon folks. Or if you have a new line / lines, consider getting some protection for them.

Below are the 2 most popular loops used between the sink tips welded loop and the leader.

12654.JPG

Top is #35 braid in black
Bottom is #25 braid in black.

What does such a great job of protecting my loop on the floating line?

This is a #50 braided loop in orange, I also use white, they make great sight indicators so I can judge where my fly is at.

12657.JPG

This isn't about becoming rich, that train left the station long ago. But I don't give these away either. I've always learned by doing and what I've learned about selling double braided loops is that I must charge $23.50 per dozen or I see no profit for my time and materials.

Bottom Line....... 12 Double Loops in 50 pound Orange - 50 pound Black - 35 pound Black; $28.00

The price for 35 pound Orange or 25 pound White or Black is $29.00

The thinner diameter braid is much more difficult to splice / takes much longer and breaks tools.

All Prices includes Pay Pal Fees, Packaging and Tracked Postage to customers in the USA.

Contact me for a price on mixed batches please.

Outside US please check for Post quote.

Available Choices:

25 Pound Test: Black or White
35 Pound Test: Black only
50 Pound Test: Black or Orange

Last edited:

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Incidentally, I did notice that RIO began offering their twist on what I consider my double loop connector 3 years ago. They do include a small swivel in their offering but I don't believe this is necessary. I can do this but have only made a few.

The RIO product sells for 29.99 for 3 pieces on their Accessories page. I have been all over the map with what I charged for a dozen and arrived at the conclusion that there was no reward whatever in selling at 14 dollars per dozen. I'm placing the advertisement for them because I just got another $200 in braid in stock.

plecain

Reaction score
Can't see the pictures.

plecain, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Ard sent me a few of these double braided loops a couple years ago. I can vouch that they are everything he says about them, I love mine!

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Larry, I've never gotten much in the way of feed back from people and I'm hoping that means nobody has had any problems.

I've only seen 2 of them come undone and in both instances they got stressed by people new to casting and just couldn't take a crack the whip experience.

I do recommend that people examine them before starting a days fishing just to be sure things are in order. They have been sent all over America - Canada - The UK. - Iceland - AU. and France so I've gotten better at making them. There still is no way to make them fast but I can do better than 8 years ago.

:)

el jefe

Reaction score
I'll add some feedback. I bought a couple of packs a couple of years ago. They work fantastic, and go on every one of my fly lines that have a loop. There are no issues with casting or fishability. In fact, you won't know it's there. Think of it as very cheap insurance for your very expensive fly line.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I'll add some feedback. I bought a couple of packs a couple of years ago. They work fantastic, and go on every one of my fly lines that have a loop. There are no issues with casting or fishability. In fact, you won't know it's there. Think of it as very cheap insurance for your very expensive fly line.
I have been fishing nylon furled leaders or regular mono tapered leaders, but primarily the furled.

I would assume for trout weight lines (4, 5, rarely 6) that the lightest one (35 test) would be the choice. I generally try to match the stiffness of the leader butt to the tip of the fly line to avoid any induced hinging effect. Have you experienced any hinging when using these loops with a 4 or 5 weight and a dry fly or small soft hackle?

Don

el jefe

Reaction score
I have been fishing nylon furled leaders or regular mono tapered leaders, but primarily the furled.

I would assume for trout weight lines (4, 5, rarely 6) that the lightest one (35 test) would be the choice. I generally try to match the stiffness of the leader butt to the tip of the fly line to avoid any induced hinging effect. Have you experienced any hinging when using these loops with a 4 or 5 weight and a dry fly or small soft hackle?

Don
Hi, Don.

I actually use the 25-pound for 4-6 weight rods. I use the 35-pound with my 250-gr. sink tip line. I have not noticed any hinging at all. I'm not the most gifted caster in the world, so take that for what it's worth.:D

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Here's what I know about using these things, primarily my applications are for fishing streamers so 'hinging' isn't an issue I concern myself with however I also don't notice any of this effect. The primary impetus for my original design and use of these was to prevent further cutting of the welded loops which have become integral to all the lines I buy now.

These are not something I would recommend for use dry fishing unless you are dry fly fishing for heavy fish. Heavy as in 10 pound and over that is, your basic trout caught on dry fly will not be enough strain to cut a welded loop.

Do they float? I use either White or Orange made from 50 pound braid and these are attached to floating Scandi lines while I fish for what I consider to be large fishes. I am also using my streamer leaders which result in having a 60 pound mono leader butt attached to the line and it is the braided loop that protects the loop as demonstrated in the photos in post #1 of the thread.

So the answer is, yes they float but not if attached directly to a floating line. In that scenario they act as a sight indicator enabling you to easily spot the end of the floating line. When you know the exact length of your leader and its sink rate and properties you then can look to the braided loop and know approximately where your fly is at on drift or swing.

If you have never happened upon this; Streamer Fishing Techniques it will help in understanding how I use the loops here.

el jefe

Reaction score
These are not something I would recommend for use dry fishing unless you are dry fly fishing for heavy fish. Heavy as in 10 pound and over that is, your basic trout caught on dry fly will not be enough strain to cut a welded loop.
Not to disagree with you about your own product, Ard, but I have found your loops to be useful even for small fish. Particularly for small streams, where you may get hung up in brush a lot, and tempted to free the snag by yanking on it, it keeps the nylon leader from cutting into the fly line loop. So there's that...

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I'll attest to their durability. A braided loop and one of his sinking leaders came home with me when I first fished with Ard around 2014. I used them back home chucking large pike and musky streamers through the abrasive bullrushes of MN. After several years of that the loops were showing a little sign of wear and tear but the loops on my heavy fly lines still look about new. They would have been trashed years ago with a heavy mono type loop connection.