Official panfish-Bass Fly Swap 2019-20

ia_trouter

Reaction score
1. ia_trouter, the McGinty, and three reverse tied deer hair bass streamer flies.
2. ottosmagic13-bully
3. Gillage-X-gurgler
4. Kentuckysteve-TBD
5. DonW-flying ant
6. Flukefly-Stayner Ducktail
7. Johnny Maltby- yellow deer hair spiders
8. bociana1-
9. nuchamp-
10. Mad Duck-Sinking Spider, foam/hair bass bugs
11. Philly-Yeller Fly

The Mad Duck

Reaction score
My flies are ready. I give a friend a couple of dozen spiders yearly, for Christmas, so I was already more or less in production mode.
Where do I send them?

Flyrod Buddy

Reaction score
1. ia_trouter, the McGinty, and three reverse tied deer hair bass streamer flies.

2. ottosmagic13-bully

3. Gillage-X-gurgler

4. Kentuckysteve-TBD

5. DonW-flying ant

6. Flukefly-Stayner Ducktail

7. Johnny Maltby- yellow deer hair spiders

8. bociana1-

9. nuchamp-

10. Mad Duck-Sinking Spider, foam/hair bass bugs

11. Philly-Yeller Fly

12. Fly rod buddy (paul) Rio getter or airhead minnow

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I'll try to make that happen. I have a wonderful Nikon Dig Camera I got for Christmas last year. However I am not a wonderful photographer, so I might have to have my daughter get some iPhone pics for you. That's just pathetic lol.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I never would have thought to make legs that long.
Mad Duck- Please don't take this in a negative manner because that is NOT my intent.

That's an issue for debate Scott. Most panfish and LM bass flies are "attractor" flies. My bass flies tend to have fairly large legs, wings, tails. It seems to work. I tie my with panfish spiders with legs that are maybe a little much. Takes about a second to shorten them on the water if I desire. Most of my spiders have legs about half that long. Does it matter? Not certain? I'm not a bluegill. :)

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
I decided to go with an ant pattern that seems to always do well with the bluegills.Got them all tied today and also tied a few smaller articulated streamers that do really good with the bass here.Both largemouth and smallmouth.

I have caught many panfish on spiders with long legs.Problem i have sometimes is when you get into the small panfish they will tug on the legs more than actually taking the fly but as Dewayne said you can trim them as needed on the spot.I have caught some of my biggest bluegills on flies with longer legs and they add a little more action to the fly so they do have an advantage sometimes too.

The Mad Duck

Reaction score
Scott & Trouter,
I tie the legs on long for several reasons.
1. The parachuting action the legs give as they drop, or rise as you twitch, is the main attraction for the fish
2. I tie them long because some days the fish like the longer legs and some days not. If you leave them long and they want a shorter leg,that particular day, You can cut
them shorter.
3. I catch a lot of Bass on those Spiders and they tend to prefer the longer legs.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Scott & Trouter,
I tie the legs on long for several reasons.
1. The parachuting action the legs give as they drop, or rise as you twitch, is the main attraction for the fish
2. I tie them long because some days the fish like the longer legs and some days not. If you leave them long and they want a shorter leg,that particular day, You can cut
them shorter.
3. I catch a lot of Bass on those Spiders and they tend to prefer the longer legs.
It's a nice fly and I look forward to fishing it. While we are discussing it, how do you weight your "drop flies", as I refer to the basic style?

The Mad Duck

Reaction score
The spiders are not weighted at all. They stay buoyant until the chenille soaks up water. Once the chenille is saturated, the flies become slightly negatively buoyant and sink very slowly. This allows the legs to parachute out as it sinks. You can fish these spiders in any part of the water column. These spiders get bit mostly as it sinks,but a good amount just after you twitch it. Typically, I let it sink out of sight,then give it a small twitch,then let it sink again. This all depends on the depth of the water you are fishing. The take often feels like the tap tap tap of a bass taking a plastic worm,but sometimes it feels like a freight train hitting. If the drop and twitch retrieve doesnt work, try letting it sink, the strip it back in quick 3-5 inch strips,but ALWAYS give it a second or two to drop every now and again.
I do make these spiders with a bead head for when the fish are in deeper water and I want to get down more quickly,but, the regular spider is the most effective. I also tie them in chartreuse,olive,pink and white. I always try to contrast the legs and bodies.

I do use a popper/dropper combo a lot as well. I tie the droppers with small bead heads with some kind of shiny material as the body. Prince Nymphs and copper bead head nymphs are most effective when I live.

nuchamps5

Reaction score
Just an update, found a pattern I like, I think it's called the Predator. Tying it in a size 10 for panfish. Trying to post a picture, but can't figure out how to upload it. Unless this works, it might have worked?Predator.jpg

philly

Reaction score
My flies are done. Toe tags are done. Need the address to send them too. Here's what the "yeller fly" looks like. Ya'll are going to get a cyclops version. I ran out of the little orange dots I used for eyes. Leg color will be different.

foam spider (2).jpg

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
Mine are tied as well. I just need to tie the bass throw-ins.

I'm thinking some Fish Skull helmet sculpins.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
Indeed went with some Fish Skull Sculpins. PM me the address and I'll get the lot in the mail.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the messages,

These things can get dicey and that's why I used to keep a close eye on how they progressed. All I can do at this point is apologize for any confusion and delay.

I have been trying to establish some sense of what is happening but have no solution currently.

If you are singed up don't give up the idea, tie the flies. The deadline is February 15 so there's a month for us to sort thing out.

Ard

Last edited:

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
What seems to be the problem? The fact that it didn't fill up?

I've got mine all tied and ready to send it it ever takes off.