Old vs. new

jpielock1992

Reaction score
HI I have several older clear tube Cortland rods , they are pretty sweet casters, are the new S and E glass blanks better or just different? Thanks J

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the Cortland rods you mention, but I have cast a fair amount of "modern" glass rods and some vintage ones, mainly Fenwicks but some others too. I generally prefer the modern ones and think that the best glass rods are those being made right now (not all of them), but it really depends.

I think the rods offered by some of the top builders/companies (e.g., Chris Barclay, Livingston Rods/Dusty Smith, Larry Kenney, Epic and Scott) are really outstanding. I've been far less impressed with some lower priced glass offerings, and am not sure they offer anything over vintage rods--although in the lower weights (say 4 and under) there are very few options among vintage rods and so modern may be the only option there. I think vintage 6 and 7 wts, the sweet spot for glass back in the day, hold their own pretty well against more modern ones in the same weight class and same general price point. But that's just my opinion, YMMV.

trev

Reaction score
Only Cortland rods I've had were FR2000 and they were dang nice, imo, as good as 'glass rods come. In vintage rods, I also like Phillipson, some Fenwicks, some Wright&McGill, and St Croix. I can't personally speak for the new offerings except CGR and Eagle Claw and my opinion there is that the worst '80s/earlier vintage 'glass rods I ever used were better in all respects.
However I have read enough reviews by enough old 'glass users that I believe the top tier builders (see WNCtroutstalker's list ^^) today are turning out exceptional stuff. I think the modern 'glass would have an advantage in the lighter weight range, less than #5 weren't really popular back in the 'glass heyday. Modern tech probably gets the nod too for lengths over 8', weight to length ratios seem better today.
Even though I believe the new glass has better technology behind it, I'll continue to use the '70s models and I'm sure I'll wear out before they do.

Last edited:

jpielock1992

Reaction score
Cortland question. I have a translucent FR-2000 7'6" and a painted pro-crest 7' 6" 519 I think, both are 6 line. They feel very similar.. Is the blank the same? Cheers,Chet

jpielock1992

Reaction score
Oh I also have a W & Mc 7' "sweetheart " ,it really is! It can throw pretty much anything!

trev

Reaction score
Cortland question. I have a translucent FR-2000 7'6" and a painted pro-crest 7' 6" 519 I think, both are 6 line. They feel very similar.. Is the blank the same? Cheers,Chet
I don't think either of the FR2000s I had were translucent, both were brown and tip over butt, Feralite style. I don't think anyone knows for sure who built the FR2000 rods, I've read that Fisher, St Croix and US Fiberglass among others were possible sources. Many of the Pro Crest look distinctly like St. Croix with St Croix lettering.
The tip over butt would require a different blank (two pieces made on separate mandrels) than the ferruled Pro Crest that was cut from a single long blank, however there was (I think) a version of Cortlands that had a sleeve over ferrule (or swelled 'glass female), and that could be the same one piece blank. People that know much more of the history of these rods than I do and a few of the rod builders mentioned above hang out at fiberglassflyrodders forum.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I have a FR2000 and as I remember, it is a St Croix
And as for vintage glass lighter than 6wt, my 7'6" Lamiglass that I've had since 1972 is a 4wt and more recently I've been using 3wt lines on it.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
How do you like the lamiglas, people swear by them? Cheers,Chet
Even though I've had it for 48 years it takes me a good 10 minutes to adjust to how slow it is.
But once you get that down it's a pleasure to cast. For me anyway. Not everyone would enjoy that.
It was my first "good" fly rod and I used it to death.

jpielock1992

Reaction score
Slow and sweet, nothing better! I've got to look for one.I've seen 8' available but no 7'6". Oh well, no rush got plenty of others. Cheers,Chet

skunkedalot

Reaction score
S glass rods are "faster" than the vintage E glass rods. Glass rods, regardless of their vintage are fun to fish. You cannot go wrong either way.