Ross Evolution LTX or Nautilus Xm

• Ross Evolution LTX

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Nautilus Xm

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters

mnigro

Reaction score
I own both and regard the LTX as superior to the Torque. Torque has to lose the push button and use the drag from the grip but at a lower weight.
I have to politely disagree. The LTX is too lite and flimsy for a $450 reel. I got spool-frame rubbing while loading backing onto my LTX under less than 3lb of drag pressure applied. Ross warranty said the frame was “bent” and supposedly straightened it and sent it back… OG spool included. If I try to apply side pressure while winding, I can still make it happen. Seems to me the bushing-spindle interface is worn a bit but who am I to say. I’m disappointed in the LTX and I dare not drop this reel knowing what I now know.

Both reel spindles ride on DU bushings but Galvans spindle is much more robust

I see no difference between push button release and snap-on o-ring design. Both spring and o-ring can fail just as easy. Both also use plastic pawls.

unless you have a concern dunking the torque in sub freezing temps, sealed drag carries little value in this comparison.

the Nautilus X is the better buy of the bunch simply based on price, especially if an extra spool is needed. But, I would place the LTX last on the list of these three reels with the Torque and X.

Admittedly, Ross is the nicest looking and has the best machine work of the three.

Hope I don’t come off as being spiteful here. Normally I would not share individual problems with gear but Ross had the opportunity to correct this and chose not to. Just sharing my observations.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I welcome your observations. I put backing on under good pressure too and have not experienced this (and hope I don't). I don't like the push button because it is spring loaded and am anti little springs. And the X's captive threaded spool retainer is my preferred design. Take a look at the Series-1 and tell me what you think.

claybanks

Reaction score
I had an issue with my Animas. Going back and forth between fishing spots, somehow the reel seat foot bent. The fully skeletonized Ross reels are nice; however, I would not be surprised if dropping one, falling on it, etc., would render it inoperable, with that being a greater likelihood in comparison to other reels.

I needed a salmon reel this year. With supply chain disruptions, the shop I was buying from could only backorder Nautilus or Ross for me at the time. They did have a T-10 in stock. I went with the T-10 (my first Galvan) and it quickly turned into a reel I love. The startup inertia and smoothness of engagement impressed me along with the drag strength being sufficient for kings. Big salmon can go from zero to into the backing quickly, the reel handled them very well. It felt stable and sound. I'm not sure if the T-10 is optimal for the salt. I kind of wondered why all the other reels were sold out but Torques still on the shelf… For a big game freshwater reel, I have so far found it to be pretty good.

osseous

Reaction score
I couldn't stand the knock knock knock of the Torque when I would reel quickly. That spool retention play was a deal breaker for me. Although the drag was smooth, it is exposed and complex. Bad combo for a long term commitment. I do appreciate all the good will the company has built with their customers over the years- I just wish they'd update their designs.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

osseous

Reaction score
I did not notice this. What is it exactly?
Caused by their choice of spool retention design. Always leaves a bit of play. Ross went to great lengths to design the new San Miguel with push button release AND adjustment to eliminate play. Adding complexity just to have push button release is not what I'm after in a fly reel. I want bombproof- and a threaded knob that fully tightens the spool against the drag housing is my preference. Designs like the Nautilus, or Sage Spectrum are simple, robust, and allow for zero play between spool and frame.

claybanks

Reaction score
I think I know what you mean. I notice this slightly with a Ross Cimarron I have, but I did not notice it with the T-10.

I like treaded drag knobs too. One thing I do not like about some of the ones I have is the drag knob can be difficult to undo. This is the case with my Nautilus XS. There are times I have had to open it, very carefully, with pliars because I cannot undo it by hand.

osseous

Reaction score
Nautilus has had issues with this- I have taken to adding a bit of anti-seize lubricant to the threads, and tightening them just enough.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Gentlemen, there is no perfect reel (or anything else). Anything that mechanically moves can have or develop issues. Discussions like this thread are good as they allow us to share design positive and negative traits of a bunch of popular reels. This spool "wobble" issue is one osseous and I have been going back and forth on for a long time. It involves the mating of spool retainer to the drag module. It is present even on some of our most highly reagreed reels like Abel SDS. Is this a performance or reliability issue...not really when minor but we would prefer rock solid if possible.

czando

Reaction score
I own both and regard the LTX as superior to the Torque. Torque has to lose the push button and use the drag from the grip but at a lower weight.
I own both reels in a few sizes and can say the Torgue has a far superior drag and more durable

I have the 4/5 LTX and the drag has far too much pressure on the lightest setting even after I exchanged it for one fresh of factory floor

One guys opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

claybanks

Reaction score
I don't try to tighten it with a gorilla grip. To me, it seems that it has a very thin line between still needing to be tightened and stuck. A slight over turn and it is stuck. It is also hard to get a firm grip on it when over tightened without grinding one's knuckles on the spools skeleton design, which is uncomfortable. This is a minor issue to me. I rarely remove the spool.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Like osseous proposed, do not be bashful about contacting Ross (or whomever) and commenting on such experience, it is the only way they can know of these issues and strive to address them.

pcalitre

Reaction score
Removing the spool from my two EvoR reels is difficult. I eventually got the retention knob to loosen but my fingers are sore. I never overtighten. They seem to get a set when sitting for some time. I am going to give Ross a call next week also. Otherwise I like the reels a lot.
That’s exactly what happened with mine. I didn’t remove the spool for a couple of months and when I went to clean my fly lines it was ridiculously stuck. I couldn’t get the knob to loosen with my fingers at all and I didn’t want to scratch up the reel with pliers. Definitely contact Ross, I emailed them and they got back to me the same day and shipped out that Ross rubber jar opener for free.

timd

Reaction score
I own both reels in a few sizes and can say the Torgue has a far superior drag and more durable

I have the 4/5 LTX and the drag has far too much pressure on the lightest setting even after I exchanged it for one fresh of factory floor

One guys opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with this 100%

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro