Ross Evolution LTX or Nautilus Xm

• Ross Evolution LTX

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Nautilus Xm

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

Remps

Reaction score
Just looking for some hands on experience with the Ross Evolution LTX and the Nautilus Xm.

Size and weight of both seem comparable and I know I will be happy with either

They will be living on a H3 8’6” 4wt and a sage One 8’6” 4wt.

Thanks.

osseous

Reaction score
I own, fish and love them both. For those rods, the lighter weight of the XM may be beneficial. Realize though, the skeleton frame of the XM takes a little getting used to. You may contact the spool at the back from time to time- an area that is usually contained by the frame of a more conventional design. No big deal, but it is off-putting to some. Of the two, the XM offers better fine drag adjustment- though the LTX is no slouch

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

BrookieRR

Reaction score
Ive owned and fished the LTX for the past year and a half and have no complaints. Best sounding reel on the market in my opinion. Its a deep subtle click then paired with the phenolic handle, gives it a great overall feel, and original look. The drag is smooth, never had a hiccup, even on a couple 23+ rainbows. Theyre both great reels, you cant go wrong, I think its just a matter of personal preference. Also, on the XM id be afraid to drop it because the spool is so exposed but maybe im over thinking it?

NCAndy

Reaction score
I have both on different 8'6" 4wts. I use the 3/4 LTX on that rod length vs the XM in the Nautilus. I use the 4/5 LTX on my 9' 4wt, I think it balances a bit better with the longer rod. Honestly I think it comes down to the Ross will hold a little less backing than the Nautilus in the equivalent size, the Ross has a narrower spool than the X, and then of course subjective appearance, how it fits your rod. Either reel is great in function.

pnc

Reaction score
I don't have either. Probably never will.
Since you have both. And each a rod. Which do you like better ? Or think better than the other ?

NCAndy

Reaction score
I don't have either. Probably never will.
Since you have both. And each a rod. Which do you like better ? Or think better than the other ?
For trout use, which is what these reels are designed for, subjectively I prefer the look and ergonomics of the LTX over the X. In the line size 4 I use with the reels, the narrower spool for the LTX loads the line more evenly without my needing to guide it. I like the handle of the LTX a little better too.

jjcm

Reaction score
I have a Ross LTX, but not in a size that pairs with a 486. I do have the One 486. I pair it with one of two Nautilus reels. I have the XS, not the XM. I also have a Nautilus FWX 3/4. The FWX is 3.6 oz and the XS is 3.8 oz. I find that either balances the rod fine. I have an Animas 5/6 for another rod that is listed at 4.3 oz. It feels good holding the rod with it and going through the casting motion. It does balance it more toward the butt for me. The LTX 3/4 is 4.2 oz.

There was a bit of wind outside today that made the rod swing a little while I took pictures. Not sure if that is influencing my perception. While the Nautilus reels seem to maintain close to the balance I want, the rod seemed to incline very slightly to the tip with the FWX mounted and then very slightly to the butt with the XS mounted.

20211125_113205.jpg20211125_112958.jpg20211125_115744.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ard

pnc

Reaction score
L
For trout use, which is what these reels are designed for, subjectively I prefer the look and ergonomics of the LTX over the X. In the line size 4 I use with the reels, the narrower spool for the LTX loads the line more evenly without my needing to guide it. I like the handle of the LTX a little better too.
Like narrow spools. Less fuss with function.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
My ONE 8 1/2'/#4 has a Nautilus FWX and Scott GS has a Ross LTX. Nautilus Xm is on my X 8 1/2'/#5 and my Anomaly Z 8 1/2'/#4 Taylor's Sereis-1. Add Abel's VAYA and this group is about as good as it gets in performance trout intended reels. Oh, I left out Hardy's extra large arbor Ultradisc as on my U NSX #4.

All these and more reels are very fine designs with high standards of build, I select primarily by balancing weight first.

Remps

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys.

I just put on my old evolution Lt 2 that comes in at 5.3oz loaded. Specs say 4.2 dry. It balance pretty well on both rods, little reel heavy. I think I have to go to an Xs if I go Nautilus. I think the LTX might be to heavy for it.

Search continues.

flexxx

Reaction score

I just put on my old evolution Lt 2 that comes in at 5.3oz loaded. Specs say 4.2 dry. It balance pretty well on both rods, little reel heavy. I think I have to go to an Xs if I go Nautilus. I think the LTX might be to heavy for it.

Search continues.
Get the San Miguel o_O;)

Remps

Reaction score
My ONE 8 1/2'/#4 has a Nautilus FWX and Scott GS has a Ross LTX. Nautilus Xm is on my X 8 1/2'/#5 and my Anomaly Z 8 1/2'/#4 Taylor's Sereis-1. Add Abel's VAYA and this group is about as good as it gets in performance trout intended reels. Oh, I left out Hardy's extra large arbor Ultradisc as on my U NSX #4.

All these and more reels are very fine designs with high standards of build, I select primarily by balancing weight first.
How you like that Hardy Ultradisc? Seems like a interesting reel. Could be a good fit. As good as the Xs and Ltx?

proheli

Reaction score
Hi Remps. I think you are starting to split hairs, maybe an undetectable ones, because as light as the X is, the LTX is a very light reel too. I fish the Ross’es. I think they look sleek. But you should get whichever one you actually want, or prefer, as in, get your favorite. Then string it up and check the balance. Carefully. Don’t scratch the reel foot cranking it down. It’s just a balance test. Then if for any reason you don’t love your choice, then send it back for the other one.

NCAndy

Reaction score

Search continues.
Did you consider the 3/4 LTX? I use the 3/4 on a Winston 486 B3LS 4wt and it is perfect. With SA Amp Trout Smooth is just a great setup.

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I liked the post with the pictures :) Images really matter when we are talking reels! Not so much on rods because they are hard to photograph .......... just sayen.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
How you like that Hardy Ultradisc? Seems like a interesting reel. Could be a good fit. As good as the Xs and Ltx?
Teh Ultra disc is mor "modernist" in appearance than the others but all I mentioned have (allegedly) sealed drag systems and all employ muti element designs for low start up and smooth operation. I like them all on their respective rods. Teh Hardy and Taylor are well made in Korea, the others, USA. Aesthetics are of course in the eye of teh beholder.

1638029714371.png
E20 022 Hardy c.jpg

mnigro

Reaction score
I have the LTX in a 4/5 and it balances the One 486 perfectly fine. If buying new, go with the Nautilus.

I would no longer spend the money Ross is asking for the LTX now. It’s pretty but there’s nothing ground breaking about it for the price. Galvan Torque is a better reel at similar price point.