OPST wow!

fatbillybob

Reaction score
Maybe the rest of you will say, "well...duh!" But OMG, OPST short skagit head makes me shoot line like a rockstar. I can't believe what I can do with my old single hand rod. I have only been out once with it and I am not as bothered (YET) by the running line to shooting head bump I think because the head is so short I'm not sure I really want to strip much more. On my 14ft 2hander there is like 40ft out to the running line bump and I still want to strip closer in. I guess some don't like the bump and hence the OPST groove integrated line?

For you OPST devotees if the OPST line chart says say 300g for the generic rod. What happens when you go to a 275g or 325g? Does this only change the casting distance or how heavy a streamer can be cast? Does it not matter because if the rod casts best at 300g with the running line bump just our the tiptop and you only have a 275 you just cast with a couple more feet running line out and it feels like 330g? I'm not sure the significance of head grain weight?

Or does a 300G head + 5 ft sink tip cast like a 275g head with a 7.5ft sink tip?

flytie09

Reaction score
I'm not good enough to see a 25 grain difference. It is a very good tool I will admit and a nice way to introduce someone new to skagit casting big flies. It is not the be all end all and has limitations.......It has brought new life two my single hand 8 WT rods for sure. Great tool on smaller streams. It's funny you just discovered them. They were all the rage at one point several years ago. Many have since moved on. I keep mine for special occasions.

As far as this line with this leader or that line with this....I'm sorry I can't answer that. I bought one and made it work for when I need it.

flav

Reaction score
does a 300G head + 5 ft sink tip cast like a 275g head with a 7.5ft sink tip?
The simple answer is no. It's not the total weight (head+tip) that's important, its just the head that's really important. Simply put, you use the head to cast the tip. In your scenario, both setups may weigh the same, but you're trying to cast a heavier tip with a lighter head. Will it cast, maybe, but not the same.

quattro

Reaction score
also - wait til you try the commando smooth with the integrated running line... it's a riot on my 5 weight.

flav

Reaction score
I thought OPST and Skagit were synonyms?
Well, they sort of are, they're Skagits, but improved at bit. Traditional Skagit lines are roughly 2X the rod length, roughly 20-25 feet long. OPST pioneered short Skagit heads, which are more like 1.5X the rod length or even less, at12-18 feet. The OPST heads are also lighter, but since they are shorter heads that equals more grains per foot, so they can more easily turn over heavy tips and flies than longer, heavier traditional Skagit heads. Confused yet?

Rabid Rider

Reaction score
Talking about the bump from the mono line to the head.. I may of done wrong but I cut my loop off and Tied on a nail knot. Should go throu the guides allot better. Will let you know later this evening..