Orvis Adirondack 7’6” 5wt

jrod88

Reaction score
No prior experience with bamboo, almost exclusively glass as of last year. Those who’ve cast or fished one, is it a decent all around rod? I fish creeks mainly for sunfish and bass in N. TX with nymphs and small streamers from as 10-14 range and the occasional stimulator.

tcorfey

Reaction score
if you are buying it new from Orvis then you really can’t go wrong. They have a no questions asked return policy. I have several Orvis bamboo rods but not that model. They are all fine rods for my purposes. The closest I have to that rod is a 7.5 foot 5wt Midge model and it is fun to catch small bass and panfish on as well as trout.

Regards,
Tim C.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Tim :)

Since OP didn't answer my question maybe you can, are these a new model or are they out there on the used market? I figure that if I can fish for trout and grayling with my 8' six weight you can fish for whatever you want with one....

tcorfey

Reaction score
Hey Ard, they are probably on the used market but as far as I can tell the Penn's Creek and Adirondack series first came out in 1997. Their new impregnation produces a blonde blank rather than the dark brown blank of the older models and the Adirondack series has a swelled butt which adds to it's reserve power. Some claim the Adirondack is based on a taper originally attributed to HL Leonard (not sure if that is true). Most people consider it a full flex medium fast rod and an easy transition for people who grew up using glass or graphite. The ops choice to use it with nymphs and small streamers is what several guys claim they use it for and most people who try the rod seem to really like it for dry's, nymphs and streamers. So it seems it is a nice all-around rod and most people describe it as a smooth casting rod with plenty of reserve power. It evidently came in two grades the Madison grade with one-tip and the higher end Battenkill grade with better cosmetics and two tips. After 2010 it only came in the Battenkill grade and in 2014 they dropped the reference to Battenkill and just offered the rod as the Adirondack model. The Orvis rod shop as of 2019 offered three rod models the Adirondack at 7.5' 5wt, the Penn's Creek at 7' 4wt and the 1856 at 8' 5wt. All seem to be considered "Battenkill" grade. By the way some claim to fish the rod as designated (5wt) while other like to slow it down with a 6wt line when used on really small streams.

Regards,

Tim C.