Orvis Bug-Out Backpack Review

ts47

Reaction score
I had hoped this would be a do-it-all backpack that would allow me to carry a DSLR and gear around Yellowstone. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. I'm happy to take suggestions for a better pack if any of you have one.

Here is a slightly expanded version of the review I just posted on the Orvis website: Orvis Bug-Out Backpack

Straps are poorly designed

I went to the store planning to purchase this backpack. When I tried it on, I found that the straps turned inward so that (I'll try to explain) the inside edge of the straps laid across my chest at an angle, rather than laying flat. I even had a store employee try to help me adjust it. Neither of us could make it work. With the straps laying like they do, I see them rubbing my chest raw in rather short order. I wear other backpacks made by other companies without issue. These straps need to be redesigned before this can be a viable purchase. I love the pack itself. The separation in the main storage compartment would have worked well - carrying a DSLR in the bottom section and rain jacket, gear, etc in the top. (Expanded explanation: There is just enough padding in the bottom and back of the pack where if handled gently, should be safe for a DSLR.) Had the straps not been completely unworkable, this backpack would have gone to Yellowstone with me. I found one other problem with the design. The bottom of the water bottle holder un-zips to allow a rod tube to be inserted. We test fit an Orvis tube in the store. While the top opening was fine, the bottom zippered opening was too tight. I could, with a fair amount of effort, get the rod tube fully inserted. There was so much pressure on the bottom zipper though that I would expect the zipper to tear or some other portion of the bottom to fail in fairly short order. In my opinion, this pack is a great idea that has not been fully developed and is not ready to be released to the public. I can not recommend this product.

Last edited:

el jefe

Reaction score
I sure like the looks of the Bitch Creek backpack from Fishpond...but they've discontinued it. I called Fishpond two weeks ago to see if there was any replacement in the pipeline, and they said no. And they said everybody is looking for one (Bitch Creek). The fly shops I've spoken to said they sold very well. I don't get it. If we could get them to produce another run, I'd buy one. Of course, these types of efforts never work, but a guy can hope.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
I sure like the looks of the Bitch Creek backpack from Fishpond...but they've discontinued it. I called Fishpond two weeks ago to see if there was any replacement in the pipeline, and they said no. And they said everybody is looking for one (Bitch Creek). The fly shops I've spoken to said they sold very well. I don't get it. If we could get them to produce another run, I'd buy one. Of course, these types of efforts never work, but a guy can hope.
Like Kellys Sex Dungeons perhaps all the "woke" people are screaming : MY CHILD CANT SEE BITCH ON HIS PACK , IT WILL CORRUPT HIS TINY MIND ! ? Or , maybe not ! lol Cherry Hump candy bars were great but they discontinued them too , I'm still pissed about that ! :ROFLMAO:

zjory

Reaction score
One of the few perfect pieces of gear I own. I have another in the basement for when this one finally gives out.

jrod88

Reaction score
I recently had the opposite issue with Fishpond and Orvis slings. I really wanted a Thunderhead sling, but after finally getting one loaded, the straps just felt cheap and not as comfortable as my Orvis packs. It just didn’t sit right so I had to let it go. Maybe I’ll try the Thunderhead backpack.

Acheron

Reaction score
@ts47, is the biggest problem fitting the DSLR plus gear? Would something like this work, where you replace the plastic drawers with your camera? Just google fishing backpack and this style come right up.

ts47

Reaction score
@ts47, is the biggest problem fitting the DSLR plus gear? Would something like this work, where you replace the plastic drawers with your camera? Just google fishing backpack and this style come right up.

Thanks for the suggestion. At this point, I've shifted my focus to camera backpacks. There are some nice packs out there that are 50/50 gear and camera, have water resistant materials and even pop-out rain covers. The camera sections many times have removable dividers allowing for 50/50 gear/gear configurations if I choose to use it that way. They have tripod carriers too that double as rod tube carriers. Cost for this kind of thing seems to be about 60% of those offered for fly fishing - $90-130.

That Bitch Creek pack still looks mighty nice though!