Orvis Clearwater 10’ 3 weight for Euro Nymphing?

MikeStaten

Reaction score
Just got a new setup for my general trout fishing (Hardy Zephrus 8’6” 4 weight) so budget is a little tight right now. Looking to get a rod for Euro / Tightline nymphing. Considering the Orvis Clearwater 10’ 3 weight but wanted to get suggestions before I move forward. I know there are probably much better rods but want to keep the price low on this one, under $300.
Most of my fishing will be done on stream and small to medium sized rivers on the east coast. Primary river i will be fishing is about 50 feet wide on average with some spots around 40 feet and some as wide as 70 feet or so. Most fish are in the 12 - 16” range with average probably 13”. Rod will be used 90% for nymphing but would be nice if I could in a pinch throw some dries on it if needed. Also would be great if anyone can suggest lines. Was thinking of putting regular floating 4 weight and then the 20’ Rio nymph line that is 20’ feet long and then a euro leader. That way if a dry fly bite turns on I could take off the Rio nymphing fly line and throw it and the nymphing leader on a spool and put a regular dry fly leader on the main line. Does that make any sense?

Thanks in advance and stay safe.

MichaelCPA

Reaction score
Totally serviceable. Save the euro line and just run a mono rig to your leader. Check out Troutbitten Mono Rig.

I try to use euro leaders but the fly line/euro line is too heavy and catches in the guides....so just use 24' of mono!

TristianSutton

Reaction score
Its serviceable but the rod is softer than i personally like

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Noodle

Reaction score
While $25 over, you may prefer the popular Syndicate P2 that is really quite good for the price. I’m not sure that I prefer my recon over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeStaten

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the information. For fish that will average 13” and pretty much max out at 18” (might get one 18” in a season), would you go with a 2 or 3 weight? Any real reason to consider a 11’ over a 10’?

Thanks again, Mike

Noodle

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the information. For fish that will average 13” and pretty much max out at 18” (might get one 18” in a season), would you go with a 2 or 3 weight? Any real reason to consider a 11’ over a 10’?

Thanks again, Mike
Your rivers aren’t huge and you want to cast the occasional dry so the all around 1003 should be perfect. It’s pretty bog standard for this and it’s a great place to start. If you really get into this style you can branch out into more specific upgrades with different weights and lengths.

TristianSutton

Reaction score

Thanks again, Mike
2wt euro rods wouldn't have an issue with 18" fish go with the 2wt pick up more sensitivity

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

MikeStaten

Reaction score
Thanks again. If I go with a 2 or 3 weight and use the long mono leader instead of a dedicated euro type fly line, would you just throw on a standard WF fly line behind that so that I can just change the leader to a regular leader for the occasional dry fly fishing? For a rod like the Clearwater or Syndicate, would you use a fly line that is weighted for the rod or line that is heavier or lighter? I.e., match the 2 weight rod with 2 weight line or 3 weight line etc..?

Noodle

Reaction score
Thanks again. If I go with a 2 or 3 weight and use the long mono leader instead of a dedicated euro type fly line, would you just throw on a standard WF fly line behind that so that I can just change the leader to a regular leader for the occasional dry fly fishing? For a rod like the Clearwater or Syndicate, would you use a fly line that is weighted for the rod or line that is heavier or lighter? I.e., match the 2 weight rod with 2 weight line or 3 weight line etc..?
You can cast short distances with dry flies on a mono rig. It’s kind of surprisingly good actually. But I greatly prefer a true to line weight fly line on a different spool or to use a long mono leader troutbitten style connected to the fly line so I can just switch leaders to switch techniques.

I do the former on my euro rod and the latter on a rod not designed for euro nymphing so that I have the option to use that technique but I primarily use the fly line for that outfit.

Wardman

Reaction score
Friend uses that set up in PA all the time. Loves it. I think the combo is in the $300 range, rod alone is under $200.

Buggy

Reaction score
I have been fishing the Clearwater 10' 3wt for a few months now. It's been my first experience with euro nymphing. My home waters are in southwestern PA although I fish central quite a bit. This technique has been a huge game changer on the waters that I fish. I am able to fish a lot more water that most angles will pass right by. That being said I have nothing to compare this rod to. I do believe it's the technique way more than the rod. If this one works for $198 any of them well.

Last edited:

Buggy

Reaction score
O and I fish a dry dropper quite a bit so I hardly ever change to my double taper reel. I have tried the mono rig. It's less than desirable in fighting fish and stripping line. I have been running Cortland mono core .022 level line with a blood knot connection to the leader. I trust that I will feel a significant improvement in my next purchase. Something that I wouldn't have seen if I hadn't started with a less expensive rod. To me that makes buying higher end gear more justifiable.

Last edited: