Orvis Flea price

jayr

Reaction score
To see what they are selling for go to eBay and do the advanced search on sold prices, that’s one way to find out.

As an aside, I have been told from a couple bamboo rod enthusiasts that prices are pretty soft right now.

LePetomane

Reaction score
If they are as described it’s a good deal. You need to know the condition of the varnish, grip and ferrule fit before doing anything.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not exactly on the pulse of recent pricing but will tell you what I think I know.

What you're seeing will be single tip Madison grade rods. They are Impregnated bamboo so there will be no varnish deterioration on the shafts.

Depending on the age of them the dressings will be coated with either epoxy resin or varnish on pre 1970 rods

There is no distinct difference in performance between the Madison grade cane and the Battenkill grade cane. The differences are node spacing and in some cases the Battenkill rods can be a bit lighter in color but many are same as Madison cane in color.

Madison rods came with a single tip section, Madison came with an extra tip

The rod tubes have different labels.

My saying that there are no distinct differences in performance between the two canes comes from what Ron White the former manager and head of the bamboo shop told me when I was ordering a rod. I could not afford a custom Battenkill but there was a pretty wide gulf in costs between the Battenkill and Madison. I ask regarding rod performance and that's what he told me. What I ended up with is a custom build with the Makers signature and 3 tips for the same money as a stock Battenkill flea of the rack at my Orvis dealer.

Moral of post: If you buy one send it to Orvis and get a second tip. It'll be a high quality two tip rod at a good price.

goofnoff1

Reaction score
I've owned a Madison for over 50 years. How I came to have the money to buy one all those years ago is a long story. That rod was over $300 at the time. When I was stationed in Germany in the 3rd Armor Div in Gelnhausen, Joe Brooks came to Rhein-Main AFB to put on a show. One of my buddies got a couple of his German buddies to drive us to the show.

Brooks started with a little lecture and then asked for questions. I asked him how you could dead drift a nymph drag free and still stay in touch to detect strikes. Joe wasn't sure what I was talking about. He only fished nymphs down and across ala Hewitt and Polly Rosborough.

Then we went outside for a casting demonstration. I can't remember where I parked my car but I remember Joe had two Orvis rods. The 71/2 foot 5wt Midge, and a 9ft 8wt Shooting Star. When he asked for volunteers to cast I was out there like a shot. My fly casting experience to date had been with a $20 Shakespeare Wonder Rod. After Joe watched me cast for a couple of minutes he grabbed my wrist on the backcast. He said "stop there. You're drifting." Joe had big hands and the grip of a blacksmith. To this day when I backcast I feel that grip. God rest Joe Brooks. He was a really nice man and a helluva a boost to one homesick GI's moral.

After the show the Germans took us to a Saxenhausen apple wine bar. You sit at long tables and drink apple wine by the pitcher while singing drinking songs that involve standing up and sitting down. After awhile you can't stand up anymore. Morning roll call was a real bear.

LePetomane

Reaction score
After the show the Germans took us to a Saxenhausen apple wine bar. You sit at long tables and drink apple wine by the pitcher while singing drinking songs that involve standing up and sitting down. After awhile you can't stand up anymore. Morning roll call was a real bear.
That sounds painful.