Orvis Superfine 3 wt: 7' or 7'6"???

Scooter1942

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm considering a 3wt Superfine Glass for small streams/rivers with a fair amount of brush and willows. Curious if anyone has experience with either or both of these rods? I know the 4wt 7'6" is kind of the jewel in the line up and wondering if the 7'6" 3wt is an improvement over the 7' model or if the 7' model is just fine and potentially better for tight quarters and short (inside 30') casts?

68camaro

Reaction score
I have the 7'6 3wt but for my tight streams I switced to a 6'8. If really tight I would get 7'. With my 6'8" I never wished I had longer...will probably give 7'6" to son. That said I never used the Orvis 7' but really your are not casting far so it should be sweet like 7'6".

jayr

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm considering a 3wt Superfine Glass for small streams/rivers with a fair amount of brush and willows. Curious if anyone has experience with either or both of these rods? I know the 4wt 7'6" is kind of the jewel in the line up and wondering if the 7'6" 3wt is an improvement over the 7' model or if the 7' model is just fine and potentially better for tight quarters and short (inside 30') casts?
I just checked the Orvis website, they do not make a Superfine Glass in 7' length. Or, are you talking a 7' graphite Superfine?

Me personally, I gave it a ton of thought before getting my Superfine Glass in 7'6" 4 weight. I read everything I could find on it as compared to the 3 weight version. Since I never cast the 3 weight, I cannot compare the two but I really do like my 4 weight and in really tight cover it does well.

Upstate08

Reaction score
I’ve owned the 703, 764 and now have the 763. The 703 was nice but kinda felt like a shorter version of the 4wt. Slightly stiffer in the tip but still really accurate, easy to cast in close, and super fun to fish. I already had a 6’6” rod, so I kept the 764. I fished it for a couple seasons and loved it. It’s a stout rod (for a 4wt) and will handle a wide range of fishing applications. It was a bit overpowered for the small water I fish and I always lusted after the 763. I’ve now got that rod and it’s a beauty. Sweeter and more refined than the 4wt, super light in the tip but still highly capable of fishing more than just a dry fly.

The 703 is no longer made so you’ll have to find one used or look elsewhere for a rod in that length. The 763 is really sweet and great for small water and lighter tackle. If you’re fighting bigger fish, lobbing a lot of weight or dealing with wind, the 764 would be a better bet. They’re both great rods, it’d be hard to go wrong.

Hope that helps, good luck and have fun! ?

Last edited:

mka

Reaction score
I bought the 703 Superfine Glass rod when Orvis first launched their glass rods. It's perfect in canopied mountain creeks and I really like the way it casts a fly...it's very accurate and has a firm feel when casting, but very sensitive on tight lines with the leetle fellers. The rod has more power than I expected and can handle any trout swimming in my small waters.

Why Orvis dropped the 703 I have no idea??? It was a great model in that line up. I've given up trying figure out what Orvis is doing...

Upstate08

Reaction score
Why Orvis dropped the 703 I have no idea??? It was a great model in that line up. I've given up trying figure out what Orvis is doing...
It’s true the length differentiated the 3wt from the 4, but I found that that was about it. I only cast/fished the 703 with a 4wt line (SA Mastery Trout, because I didn’t have a 3wt line) and it seemed a perfect match. The 763 is a true 3wt, but I’d love it just the same without the extra 6” if the action remained the same. It’s a truly sweet rod

Last edited:
Reactions: mka

stilis

Reaction score
I have both the 763, and the 764, I have never cast the 703.

While I agree the 764 is the star of the lineup, in my opinion that is because of it's versatility in being able to fish with wind, bigger flies, droppers etc. I am not looking for that versatility with a 3#.

The 764 was the first one I purchased, and was very rapidly interested in the 3#, but was hesitant to purchase due to the 7'0" length, as I already have a 7'0" 3#. As soon as the 763 came out, I purchased, and could not be happier. I do not regret the extra 6", and this rod has become the gold standard I measure all my 3# against. I currently own 4 3#, with another on it's way.

jayr

Reaction score
OP, FYI, there is a 7' 3 weight Superfine Glass on Ebay right now.

Full disclosure, I have NO connection to this rod. It is not mine nor do I know the seller.

Meuniere

Reaction score
And, truth be told, I have a rather rare Scott F-Glass 7'6" 4wt I would consider selling that would be killer for what you are considering. The caveat is that it is really medium-action, very flexy, but with a good even progressive action and surprisingly quick tip recovery. Short casts are no sweat, and it is good to about 40 feet or so. That said, I'd opt for something 7'2 to 7'6 regardless of what you're after, unless you are on really, really small water where you can't wave a yardstick without hitting the shrubbery. Best of luck!

Scooter1942

Reaction score
Thought I'd circle back. I ordered the 7'6" 4wt because I found a couple of vendors who had it. Then, in my searching I found a 7' 3wt on Amazon. I was suspicious, given that the 7' model has been out of production for a period of time. I thought it was probably an old or bad link. So, I reached out to the vendor and low and behold...they actually had a new old stock 7' 3wt! Seems they were cleaning out their stock room and found it buried somewhere it shouldn't have been. The put it up on Amazon and I wound up with the unicorn!

Now I have to decide whether I want to sent the 4wt back. I love the 3wt. but there seems to be some overlap. I'm not sure the 4wt is going to do much more than the 3wt in the circumstances I expect to use it...for example, brushy tight high mountain streams with dries, small foam offerings and maybe an occasional dry/dropper.

The 4wt feels clunky compared to the 3wt and admittedly, I'm not in love with it. But then again, I've only given it the wiggle test.

Reactions: mka

GloveMan

Reaction score
I fish a 7" Loomis 2 weight that I really like. Super light, but still has enough stuff to cast a hopper and dropper in tight little Colorado streams. It also is really flexible for a bow and arrow cast in those really tight spots. I put a Redington 0 Weight reel on it because I just need a spool to hold the line.