Other Fish than Trout Photos

wlshafor

Reaction score
Tiny hybrid bass

San Gabriel river central Texas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

azflyrodder

Reaction score
I've caught some interesting fish on the fly...
20170823_173649.jpg
A Rio Grande cichlid
20160929_173548.jpg
Some weird hybrid thing
20160929_180634.jpg
Green sunfish
20170903_183212.jpg
Redeye bass
20170830_190845.jpg
Rock bass

mirabelasunshine

Reaction score
Not much love around for the lowly Fallfish, sort of New England's answer to the whitefish I guess. But I landed a donkey fallfish this morning while prospecting for large trout. This 19 incher is the biggest one I've seen in years, and it made a solid account of itself, digging hard and pulling drag. I was certain I had a solid brown on until I saw it.

DSCN3621.jpg

MarsB

Reaction score
IMG_0309.JPG

Caught this mountain whitefish on the Logan today. This guy was also about 19 inches, fell for a 14 prince nymph. Not a huge fighter, but still pretty fun to catch on 5x tippet!

flyminded

Reaction score
Well this was fun until I realized what it was ...that first flash of fish as I set the hook had me excited in some fast water.

LandoLando

Reaction score
Caught the biggest whitefish I've ever seen last weekend on the middle Provo:

Most of the ones I catch are in the 10" - 12" range. This guy put up quite a fit, around here these fish really run, unlike the trout that tend to thrash on the hook. Felt like I had a monster.

wjlapier

Reaction score
I think this is a Peamouth. This was caught in a part of a river I fish often and I thought I had a huge trout or smaller steelhead. Not until I had it near me that I knew it was neither.

plecain

Reaction score
Fall Salmon Run

A river near me has a Spring and Fall salmon run.
This year the Fall run went past the end of the legal fishing season (Oct. 31) unfortunately.
But, while the season was open the fishing was very good.

csDSCN2074.jpg

csDSCN2067.jpg

csDSCN2076.jpg

Last Spring I built a 10' 5 wt. Sage ONE partly with this river in mind. I've used it now a few times and really like it. It's extremely accurate up to 70-75 feet out and handled 6-10 lb. salmon easily. Accuracy is important in this place because of the reeds along the river. You need to place the fly into 12-18" spaces between the reeds along the opposite bank. Fun when you have a rod that makes that easier.

LandoLando

Reaction score
Re: Fall Salmon Run

I caught five of these in an hour on the snake river and can’t figure out what they are. I thought they were carp, but some friends are saying they a june sucker or some other type of sucker, or a white fish. I’ve never seen a 30” sucker or white fish, so I stand by that it’s a carp. I really wasn’t expecting to get into carp euro nymphing in February. Man these guys really put up a fight for a about five minutes and then they just give up.

Edit: Google searches suggest that it's a large scale sucker.

Last edited:

MichaelCPA

Reaction score
Pic of a double SMB hit. Better yet, I did this twice! Fun evening swinging streamers (white bugger and a brown muddler) in the Ottawa river. On non-trout discussions, I have caught shad, chub, bass, etc.

I hooked what I think was a catfish on a 5wt, fought it for a few minutes before breaking off.

MichaelCPA

Reaction score
Caught the biggest whitefish I've ever seen last weekend on the middle Provo:

Most of the ones I catch are in the 10" - 12" range. This guy put up quite a fit, around here these fish really run, unlike the trout that tend to thrash on the hook. Felt like I had a monster.
Easy to see how popular nymphing for whitefish/shad is in Scandinavia. Not all days are for trout.

MarsB

Reaction score
IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG
Got my first graylings the other day. They were fast and furiously hitting small dries, so much fun!

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Like MarsB, I landed my first grayling just the other day. They are frantic little buggers. Much more wiggly than any trout I’ve ever caught. Heaps of fun and absolutely gorgeous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk