Other Fish than Trout Photos

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, they are.
Size for size they're more fun than striped bass in my opinion.
Paul, BTW great salmon pictures a few pages back. Do you see any really large ones or are those pretty much representative of the run size? Also, are you catching them on streamers & wets?

plecain

Reaction score
Paul, BTW great salmon pictures a few pages back. Do you see any really large ones or are those pretty much representative of the run size? Also, are you catching them on streamers & wets?
The ones in those pictures are about as large as the usually get. There are bigger ones, but rarely.

Those were all caught on woolly buggers. Midges work well, too.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
It's been a long while since I've seen one of those other than in photographs Paul. I wouldn't care what size if I could go catch some today :) I do love the way they color up.

viggysmalls

Reaction score
I know they call muskie (or is it steelhead?) the "fish of ten thousand casts", but I will argue that Atlantic Salmon might then be the fish of twenty thousand. At least for me anyway. I've only landed a handful, and each one has required extreme patience and perseverance, but has been very special. Here is one from last fall before she was released to hopefully swim up river and lay lots of eggs!
44533075_10103826203898647_5686427899792457728_n.jpg

Reactions: Ard

Bam Boozelled

Reaction score
Landed my new personal best Northern Pike yesterday after work with a buddy. What a fight and nothing like the feeling of the fly getting smashed and the reel just starts screaming.

9ft 6wt throwing deceivers.

LandoLando

Reaction score
Caught a massive Utah sucker on the local stream. Most I’ve seen are around 20-22”, the state record is 25.5”

For reference the length of the net frame is 24” and he’s an inch or two past that. He felt about 7-8lb. Weird fight with these fish, it feels like you hooked bottom and then ten seconds later they realized they’ve been hooked. Then it’s like hauling a large log out of a deep hole.

Strange day on the river, I usually catch loads of medium sized browns and whitefish in these holes usually at least one good brown, but this time I only got a couple browns and six of these suckers.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
You should have figured out how to keep him alive while you learned where to have it certified. You may have caught the state record fish.

Don't be like me, I killed and filleted a 26 pound Silver salmon in 2009 because I didn't realize that I will never see another one like that in my lifetime.

Here's a picture, the small fish weighed just under 14 pounds.

That rod is a 9 foot 7 weight and you can see how far past the butt and stripping guide the fish was. Far as I can tell from the old image is that the tail reached the ferrule and the nose appears to be an inch or 2 past the butt. That would make that a 40 - 41 1/2 inch silver salmon and the girth was incredible.

I never realized what I had done until about 4 years later. I was king fishing and made a remark to myself that the kings I was catching were not as big as that silver I caught in western Kodiak on a remote river.

I had a scale but it only weighs up to 22 pounds and when it bottomed out I had shrugged and muttered "must be 23" and then I butchered the fish. It was years later that I learned the state record was caught in the ocean down in Icy Bay back in 1978 or something like that on ocean fishing gear. I caught the fish pictured on a pink white and blue marabou streamer on a 15 pound tippet. I caught so many 12 to 16 pound fish during that trip that I had become numb to seeing big fish. That's how it happens, you just shrug and say it looks a little bigger than average...............

NJ Catch and Release

Reaction score
I grabbed my fly rod and a box of streamers and hit one of my favorite brown trout stretch in one of my favorite rivers. I have fished this stretch of the river for the past 3 years and I have only caught browns which included my largest NJ brown. I got a late start and didn't get to the river until a few hours after I intended to. As soon as I got to the water I saw what looked like caddis flies coming off the water. I thought to myself that figures, all I brought was my streamer box. I watched the water for a while and did not see any rising trout so I decided to start working an olive slumpbuster. I had one fish on after my 3rd cast but it came unbuttoned and I never saw it. I continued to work upstream and got to the pool where I caught my largest NJ brown the prior year. I worked the streamer along all the current seams until I got the most aggressive strike I have had in a long time. I immediately thought big brown on! After a few seconds of fighting the fish it took a run across the river and went air born and I got to see that it wasn't a brown but a nice smallmouth bass instead. In the 3 years of fishing this stretch I have never caught or seen a smallie there. Just proves that you could be surprised on any cast.

LandoLando

Reaction score
You should have figured out how to keep him alive while you learned where to have it certified. You may have caught the state record fish.

Don't be like me, I killed and filleted a 26 pound Silver salmon in 2009 because I didn't realize that I will never see another one like that in my lifetime.

Here's a picture, the small fish weighed just under 14 pounds.

That rod is a 9 foot 7 weight and you can see how far past the butt and stripping guide the fish was. Far as I can tell from the old image is that the tail reached the ferrule and the nose appears to be an inch or 2 past the butt. That would make that a 40 - 41 1/2 inch silver salmon and the girth was incredible.

I never realized what I had done until about 4 years later. I was king fishing and made a remark to myself that the kings I was catching were not as big as that silver I caught in western Kodiak on a remote river.

I had a scale but it only weighs up to 22 pounds and when it bottomed out I had shrugged and muttered "must be 23" and then I butchered the fish. It was years later that I learned the state record was caught in the ocean down in Icy Bay back in 1978 or something like that on ocean fishing gear. I caught the fish pictured on a pink white and blue marabou streamer on a 15 pound tippet. I caught so many 12 to 16 pound fish during that trip that I had become numb to seeing big fish. That's how it happens, you just shrug and say it looks a little bigger than average...............
Wow that’s one hell of a silver. Like you, I didn’t realize that I was anywhere near the state record, so I didn’t think to document anything or even look into it. It wasn’t until I showed a friend that pointed out that it was damn close if not larger than the record. Oh well, it will always be a good memory to see a fish of that size. Based on their life spans, he’s probably a decade or more older than I am.

philly

Reaction score
Haven't been out this year, for various reasons. I caught this one in a lake in central Vermont, 2 years ago. I had to go on line to find out what I had caught. Not quite trophy size grass pickerel. They don't get much bigger than 12 inches.

Grass Pickerel.jpg

LandoLando

Reaction score
Tied these:

Went here:

And caught this:

That’s my first striper on a fly. It was just after we ate breakfast that I saw some boils about 100 yards out, so I hopped in the kayak and threw that chartreuse streamer shown above across the boil and stripped and jigged it in and I got a hit on my first cast. Pound for pound these dudes have twice the horse power as a trout. I had really heavy mono on, so I pulled him in pretty quickly. It was a lot of fun. I kept this one since they are an invasive species that needs to be controlled.

MCHammer

Reaction score
Got out of the doldrums today--finally!--and brought this grayling to the net. This is only the second grayling I've ever caught, and the first was about 40 years ago, in a small stream in Yellowstone. This one lives in a small lake, just west of the Yellowstone boundary in Idaho.

P6180009.jpg

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Good for you Mike! Few fish in the river but we managed 3 today on 2 rods, I was the guy who caught just one......... I'm going again tomorrow because they gotta show soon.