Outer Banks Oregon Inlet?

matt_geiman

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips or locations for fly fishing around Nags Head? I'll be down in late July this year. Last year we were there earlier in June. I took my canoe in the sound around Oregon Inlet in hopes to find some sightfishing opportunities. I did find a few sheepshead but no hookups. I plan on doing kinda the same approach this year with hopes to find some redfish being it will be latter in the summer. I'm definitely not an expert with this kind of fishing or the area, so if anyone has any info on spots, tides or tips I'd greatly appreciate it! I like all kinds of fishing too so I'm up for anything! Feel free to PM. Thanks!

Last edited:

danmarino

Reaction score
I'll be trying some fly fishing in the sound this September. I've never caught a salt water fish on the fly. From what I can tell the speckled trout have been very numerous this year in the sound. I understand they are near any grassy flats area. I have a kayak and will give it a serious attempt in September and October. I have a beach house in Southern Shores, but we rent it out during the summer months.